RC poster

Cool Bought a E-Revo last week, videos included - any tips for a noob ?

Hi,

Last week bought a E-Revo VXL 4WD, itīs my first RC car after some months playing with random cars from friends and at local tracks. After a few days of great fun iīm now seriously at a turning point as to whether i want to further invest into more and bigger cars.

So far for the first few impressions and runs i'm really happy with it, it handles great and definitely packs a great punch. I couldnīt have been happier with my purchase as it's still early days and it was already so much fun... Iīve recorded a couple of videos of my first runs during this weekend, hope you guys enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBjwOMnJnzc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHhHGn3J7IY

I live close to the sea side and well, as you can see on the videos there's lots of tarmac and gravel surfaces, with a bit of thin beach sand... what sort of recommendations/tips would you guys have in order to improve stability (thinking at the wider rear arms to extend the rear wheelbase, wheelie bar+pinion to unlock the 50mph mark, new set of wheels perhaps?), performance (heat sink/dissipator for velineon engine, ...), improving shocks.... donīt know... thereīs a lot that probably can be improved but would like to hear it from you guys what would be the most important to start with (with plans to further improve over time)!

The car is pretty much still stock, with stock battery, 2x LiPo 2200mAh 7.2v and 1x LiPo 1400mAh 11.1v. Both videos were shot in training mode (still feels quite unstable when the power is unleashed).

Thanks in advance!

RC poster
    Hello, I also have an E-Revo VXL 4WD, and I love it, it's a wonderful rig. One of the first upgrades I would recommend is a metal geared servo, I actually broke the servo on my first run, then did a free repair I found online, and broke it again. I did some investigation online, and I decided to purchase the Savox SW0250MG, which is a metal geared waterproof servo, and it works great. Another good durability upgrade would be RPM A-arms and axle carriers. The wheels are really up to you, depending on what surfaces you plan to drive on. The instability at high speeds may be due to TSM (Traxxas Stability Management), as having it on at high speeds causes your front wheels to wobble, that has happened to me to, but now I drive with it all the way off, and that eliminated the wobble at high speeds. Hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    IMO, the two biggest upgrade that will give you the most bang for your buck on a new merv is the center diff and Hot Racing sway bars.

Center Diff almost immediately resolves any front/rear diff issues with stripping that can occur and gives you one more place to tune.

The sway bars makes a very unstable corning truck (which the merv is) and makes it a dream to drive.

RC poster
    Hi AngelG619 and halygon,

Thanks for the tips! So far it's been over a month, managed to not break anything (yet) and bashed the car a few times on the bmx course of the video above, and a few more flat/irregular terrains, mostly tarmac/dirt and sand surfaces, as i'm living very close to the beach and there are some great spots - empty stretches of land with slightly tall bits of grass, to car parking spots with a mix of gravel, tarmac and sand.

I've already added a few bits to the car just to improve the overall experience a bit and without tinkering too much - Wheelie bar to help with the explosive start (and get some cool wheelies), extended rear A-arms (preventing the battery door to get stuck on the tire every time), and heat sink (less heat, less energy consumption, bit more battery time). And also added new springs - tan 2.06 on the rear and black 2.22 on the front, with 60wt/800cSt silicone oil to both front and rear shocks but will soon starting to look into improving more "vital" components, some of which you guys mention.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelG619 View Post
    Hello, I also have an E-Revo VXL 4WD, and I love it, it's a wonderful rig. One of the first upgrades I would recommend is a metal geared servo, I actually broke the servo on my first run, then did a free repair I found online, and broke it again. I did some investigation online, and I decided to purchase the Savox SW0250MG, which is a metal geared waterproof servo, and it works great. Another good durability upgrade would be RPM A-arms and axle carriers. The wheels are really up to you, depending on what surfaces you plan to drive on. The instability at high speeds may be due to TSM (Traxxas Stability Management), as having it on at high speeds causes your front wheels to wobble, that has happened to me to, but now I drive with it all the way off, and that eliminated the wobble at high speeds. Hope this helps.
    These tips above are quite helpful, haven't had any issues yet with the servo but will definitely look into replacing it with the Savox in a near opportunity. Regarding A-arms and axle carriers they're also the next ones on my list to replace - while i can find the RPM A-Arms (plastic), was also considering the Integy Aluminium carriers - or do you recommend RPM all the way? And plastic or aluminium? While i do enjoy the aluminium durability, it's always metal and susceptible to easily bend + doesn't absorb the shock as well as plastic.

I have experienced instability at high speed too, but well, i have TSM all the way on and will definitely try and cut it off to see how the car behaves.

Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    IMO, the two biggest upgrade that will give you the most bang for your buck on a new merv is the center diff and Hot Racing sway bars.
    Center Diff almost immediately resolves any front/rear diff issues with stripping that can occur and gives you one more place to tune.
    The sway bars makes a very unstable corning truck (which the merv is) and makes it a dream to drive.
    I've also considered these 2, what would you recommend for center diff - traxxas or from an alternative brand? As for Hot Racing parts, i've had some hard time finding those in Europe and so far was unable... contacted them via the website but they said they don't ship to Europe so my options seem to be a bit limited on that end - any alternatives you might know ?

Thanks a lot to you both and looking forward to hear more suggestions/ideas!

RC poster
    I bought my RPM A-arms at my local hobby store, but they're also on Amazon here:
    https://www.amazon.com/RPM-80695-Fro...7991029&sr=8-1
    and here for the rear ones:
    https://www.amazon.com/RPM-80605-Upp...7991407&sr=8-5

Sorry, I can't really give you any advice about the metal vs RPM parts dilemma, (I haven't used metal parts yet, and I'm currently wondering about that for skid-plates myself) what would you guys recommend?

RC poster
    Hi there,

@AngelG619 regarding the skid plates, i've ordered the T-Bone Racing full set of plastic skid plate and bumpers (front and rear) that bolt on to the existing car skid plates, it has arrived today and was actually quite fast as it came from the US to Europe (took around 6-7 days). They seem quite sturdy and will install it over the next few days as i'm waiting for a few extra parts to arrive - will post some feedback here once i've tried and tested them.

Following up on my last reply, had an amazing time during the weekend, on a few different places: horse parades mini course, flat/concrete outdoors and skate park. Went out to try the new servo (Savox 250MG) and Center Diff upgrade which i've had done during last week - definitely added to the previous shocks/springs improvements.

You can see videos from the skate park adventures here:
    - Skate Park crazy bashing -
    - Horse parades mini course, flat concrete outdoors - thereīs also a video in my YT channel but can't link it here

While everything went great on the first 2 scenarios, the skate park was definitely a great proving ground for the car - it went fast, it jumped, it bashed, it crash landed many times. Had a casualty, the stock front right A-Arm was broke (image attached), one of the ball joints from the push rods snapped off (easily fixed), and later sunday found out two of the bearings on the back drive train were seized.

So this brings me to my new set of upgrades: RPM A-Arms for the front (still keeping the extended Traxxas A-Arms on the back while they last), Hot Racing axle knuckles (managed to find these on ebay, shipped from the US), Hot Racing Sway Bars, T-Bone Racing 3-part skid plate+bumpers, Louise Spider tires, and Alu Wheel Hexes (the plastic ones were looking a bit nasty) - and well, also replacing a few bearings and cleaning/oiling/greasing everything back together.

At some point in the future will also be looking at cleaning the front/rear diffs and possibly shimming them if necessary - for now i will avoid that, but the bulkheads are definitely starting to need a deep clean

There will be more news soon! Stay safe and take care!

RC Racer
    If u want stability you can buy the extended a arms but if you want good quality buy ur self some RPM a arms and an RPM bumper, I run stock tires and RPM a arms and it’s sturdy enough for me.