RC Enthusiast

Antenna tube problems

Everytime my kids run their rustler 4x4 we loose the antenna tube. Can I just run the antenna inside the car? Does it really need to be in the tube?

RC Competitor
    The antenna tube helps protect the antenna so it is good if you have it. If you donít want it sticking out of the body you can cut the tube shorter and put the extra wire inside of the receiver box. Next to the ESC is a semi circle with a grub screw next to it. This is where you can put the tube with the antenna in it then tighten the grub screw to lock it in place. If you can understand that I hope it helps. If you canít Iíll try to find a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Thats what Ive been doing... Was thinking about laying the antenna down inside the truck....

RC Competitor
    Is it still full length? When I first got mine I had it full length just sitting inside the body and it kept falling out. If you have cut it and screwed it in and it keeps falling out then you can.
    1. Undo the grub screw
    2. Cut the bottom 3mm off of the tube
    3. Stick the tube in the spot hard
    4. Screw it back on
    You have to be sure to not have the screw in when you put the tube in because it is what squeezes the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by emaxx21 View Post
    Everytime my kids run their rustler 4x4 we loose the antenna tube. Can I just run the antenna inside the car? Does it really need to be in the tube?
    Whatever you do DO NOT cut the antenna!

The frequency of the transmitter has to match up with the length of the antenna if you want any range at all.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Competitor
    Yeah make sure you donít cut the antenna I mean ONLY cut the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Aver View Post
    Is it still full length? When I first got mine I had it full length just sitting inside the body and it kept falling out. If you have cut it and screwed it in and it keeps falling out then you can.
    1. Undo the grub screw
    2. Cut the bottom 3mm off of the tube
    3. Stick the tube in the spot hard
    4. Screw it back on
    You have to be sure to not have the screw in when you put the tube in because it is what squeezes the tube.

What grub screw are you talking about? On my rustler 4x4 the antenna tube sits in a hole that's molded into the chassis. You just stick it in there so its tight.

Mine falls out too. I cut my tube short enough so it would still cover the tip of the antenna with the rubber piece that's on the tube. Then i used something flat and kept tapping it into the hole until it is somewhat tight. Make sure the antenna cable itself is in the little slot. Just hold as much of the antenna tube as you can cause its flimsy and it'll move when you whack it.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    What grub screw are you talking about? On my rustler 4x4 the antenna tube sits in a hole that's molded into the chassis. You just stick it in there so its tight.

Mine falls out too. I cut my tube short enough so it would still cover the tip of the antenna with the rubber piece that's on the tube. Then i used something flat and kept tapping it into the hole until it is somewhat tight. Make sure the antenna cable itself is in the little slot. Just hold as much of the antenna tube as you can cause its flimsy and it'll move when you whack it.

I guess that works but what I am telling about is there is the hole that you put the tube in and right next to it on the inside side there is a tiny screw threaded into the plastic. Take it out before you put the tube in using a 1.5mm hex driver I think. Then screw it back in and it should hold the tube tight.

RC Competitor
    Like I said before, you may need to cut off the very bottom of it so that the screw has a fresh piece y tķ I hold on to.

I guess that works but what I am telling about is there is the hole that you put the tube in and right next to it on the inside side there is a tiny screw threaded into the plastic. Take it out before you put the tube in using a 1.5mm hex driver I think. Then screw it back in and it should hold the tube tight.

Wow... Thank you. I didnt know that screw was there. If that doesn't fix your issue im not sure if anything will. My antenna is tight now. Tight enough that its not going anywhere for sure.

RC Competitor
    Like I said before, you may need to cut off the very bottom of it so that the screw has a fresh piece y tķ I hold on to.

*for the screw to hold on to

RC Competitor
    Glad to help.

RC poster
    This is what I did with mine, I can't remember if I shortened the tube or not. The cap end of the antennae fits right into that opening, and the end of the actual antennae is close to the top of the arc that it makes. It's never even budged from here since I've had the car. Excuse the mess, it's all taken apart right now. It's usual state.

What grub screw are you talking about? On my rustler 4x4 the antenna tube sits in a hole that's molded into the chassis.
    Page 17 of the manual: https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R07.pdf
    The Super Derecho

Most never even look at the manual. There's a bunch of good info in there that answers many asked questions, LoL.

It would be nice to get a paper copy in my opinion. I don't think to go online and download it. Thank you for that link.

It would be nice to get a paper copy in my opinion...
    I'm confused by your opinion? All Traxxas vehicles have come with manuals in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I'm confused by your opinion? All Traxxas vehicles have come with manuals in the box.
    Not anymore, it's all electronic. I bought my Rustler 4x4 a year ago and it had the quick start manual, but not the detailed one you find online.

Rustler 4x4 VXL

Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    Not anymore, it's all electronic. I bought my Rustler 4x4 a year ago and it had the quick start manual, but not the detailed one you find online.
    That's disappointing! I just purchased two new trucks (Trx4,1/16Erevo) this year around Jan/Feb and they had them. They were really handy.

Does the paperwork that come with them tell you how/where to get a manual?

EDIT: Your right! Went back into the boxes and the manual was downsized to a Quickstart.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 11-04-2020 at 09:04 AM. Reason: mistake

That's disappointing! I just purchased two new trucks (Trx4,1/16Erevo) this year around Jan/Feb and they had them. They were really handy.

Does the paperwork that come with them tell you how/where to get a manual?

EDIT: Your right! Went back into the boxes and the manual was downsized to a Quickstart.
    It sends you to the Traxxas website yes. But most people aren't going to bother. They'll think the included manual is enough.

Rustler 4x4 VXL

I was gonna say that's news to me lol. I've got 2 new traxxas trucks in the past six months and neither came with a manual.

Wonder when they changed? The Jato that I got last fall (ordered from local hobby shop in Sept) came with a manual.

It is disappointing not getting a paper copy as it showed little things like the antenna question in this thread without the need to search online.

I guess I should treat my existing manuals like gold.

RC Enthusiast
    I just bought an erevo this week and two Rustler 4X4 two weeks ago, all of them came with full owners manuals.

That's curious emaxx21. Mine have always had the full manuals, so I assumed the last two I purchased did also. Never pulled the manuals out of those as I didn't need them. Each model hasn't really changed much except for the different electronics/graphics changes. So the manuals I already have were still used.

I was gonna say that's news to me lol. I've got 2 new traxxas trucks in the past six months and neither came with a manual.

When I bought my E-revo 2.0 about 3 months ago it came with a full manual, or at least I think it did.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Competitor
    I think they all con with the Quickstart book and the thick white booklet. That one isnít the owners manual that you find online. It is warranty and exploded views and part lists.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    When I bought my E-revo 2.0 about 3 months ago it came with a full manual, or at least I think it did.
    I wish they'd send them for all the trucks still. I feel like a lot of people wouldn't think to look online. But i have a bunch of glossy printer paper so i can print a nice pretty one for myself.

I think they all con with the Quickstart book and the thick white booklet. That one isnít the owners manual that you find online. It is warranty and exploded views and part lists.

Agree, bought my E Revo in June Came with a Quickstart and booklet.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Another thing I tried finding is the ability to order a manual for your model. Nope, nothing there. This world really is going all digital. I guess I should start learning how to use mobile devices, LoL.

Another thing I tried finding is the ability to order a manual for your model. Nope, nothing there. This world really is going all digital. I guess I should start learning how to use mobile devices, LoL.
    Im only 24 and sometimes I feel like im almost in between the technology age where everything is now digital, opposed to where everything wasn't reliant on computers and you had to figure things out on your own. Kids now are just accustomed to the digital society. But there really isnt anything you can do about it.

I feel bad for the older group that has to try to learn it all again. When they've been doing it a certain way for so long to begin with.