RC poster

Hoss over heating

So I geared up my hoss to 23/50 and now it overheats really fast was wounding if there is anything I can do to stop it I have a fan on the motor already Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahstone View Post
    So I geared up my hoss to 23/50 and now it overheats really fast was wounding if there is anything I can do to stop it I have a fan on the motor already Thanks
    Gear back down.

Rustler 4x4 VXL
    Rustler 4x4
    If it ain't broke, you're not trying!

RC poster
    Thanks is there anything else that can be done to help it from overheating

RC Qualifier
    There really isn't anything thats going to work as well as gearing down. Instead of 23 try 18. Youll still have fun it just wont go as fast. It also wont get as hot.

Its getting hot cause you're geared pretty high for a 4x4 truck with big tires. If you're thinking about fans, they dont help as much as you would think. Maybe a 5 to 8 or 10 degree difference. You can get that much or more by gearing down 1 tooth.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thank I just geared it to what it said on the box to hit 60 so I would think it would of been good

RC Qualifier
    Oh itll go 60 but itll get hot too. I geared my rustler 4x4 19 and whatever the stock spur is. I went at least 60 but it got warm after a run or two. Im sure it says somewhere thats its only for speed runs.

RC Champion
    It is profitable to include parts so the customer can be the one that destroyed the product.

RC Qualifier
    Yep. Makes you need to buy more parts.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahstone View Post
    Thank I just geared it to what it said on the box to hit 60 so I would think it would of been good
    It also says in the manual that you should ONLY use that gearing on hard flat surfaces for speed runs (Page 27 and 28)

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R02.pdf
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Enthusiast
    There is also a chart in the manual that shows pinion and spur combinations and what type of driving they are best for. I felt my Hoss had too much torque and lacking high speed. I don't need it to flip when hitting the throttle. I changed the pinion from 14T to 17T and WOW it is still a wheelie machine and now it is a rocket ship also. 15 & 16T are not available. I run it mostly on pavement. I ran it on a 65 degree day for about 10 minutes so I'm not sure if it will overheat but it runs amazing !