RC poster

Upgrade to a hoss or keep stampede?

I have a stampede 4x4 vxl that I have been working on upgrading lately. I canít decide if I should keep upgrading my stampede or get a hoss or maybe a maxx. I donít want to spend too much money but I could get some out of my stampede if I sold it. Would it be worth it to get the hoss or should I keep the stampede? Also, if I do keep the stampede, would it work to put a hosss chassis on it or would that not be a good idea?

RC Qualifier
    Keep you stampede as is for light bashing and get a maxx for heavier bashing. The hoss seems a bit over worked for the motor and tires it comes with, not to mentio the bizarrely under specíed center diff. The beauty of the stampede is its nimbleness and spending all the money on a hoss or converting to a hoss seems like diminished return for your money versus just going to a maxx directly

RC Racer
    For around $140 bucks you can put a clipless Hoss body on your existing 4x4 Stampede..
    Hoss wheels $55-60
    Hoss body $59
    Hoss shock towers and bumpers $25

Less than $100 if you keep your existing wheels

Very slight modification to front shock tower..all the parts are interchangeable with the Stampede
    New Hoss body will fit best with the rear over the rear bumper (pic 2)
    It will fit inside the rear bumper but it tends to 'bind' the body

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by radio uncontrol; 11-04-2020 at 06:18 PM.

It's probably a matter of how hard you bash, but I'd be inclined to say keep the Stampede 4x4. You already have a working truck, that you can work on and upgrade at your leisure, and once upgraded, a Stampede 4x4 is every bit as durable as a Hoss.

Another thing to consider is that even if you went for the Hoss, you'd probably end up upgrading that also. It comes stock with plastic CVDs that are stronger than the stock plastic CVDs on the Stampede 4x4, but they still wear out eventually since they are plastic. The end game when it comes to CVDs, whether you have a Hoss or Stampede 4x4, is to get metal CVDs. So you might as well just do that upgrade to the truck that you already have.

My Stampede 4x4 is fully upgraded, with a 3674 2400kv motor that is larger than the Hoss motor (3670), MIP CVDs, running 4s (Hoss can only do 3s), and it's practically bulletproof. I'd put it up against a Hoss any day.

One factor to consider is if you like the behavior of the Center Diff that the Hoss comes with. I'm not a fan personally. I prefer using a slipper clutch that is fully tightened down or even using a slipper eliminator.

RC poster
    Ok thanks for the replies. I think I might just keep the stampede and upgrade it. I really haven’t done that much to it so far. I put on rpm aarms and I ordered some plastic heavy duty cvds, which sounds like a mistake now. I also ordered some gtr shocks. What would you suggest doing next?

Quote Originally Posted by cavemanmatt View Post
    Ok thanks for the replies. I think I might just keep the stampede and upgrade it. I really haven’t done that much to it so far. I put on rpm aarms and I ordered some plastic heavy duty cvds, which sounds like a mistake now. I also ordered some gtr shocks. What would you suggest doing next?
    The plastic CVDs would only be a mistake if you don't get good life out of them. I guess only time will tell. Depends on how hard you are on your vehicle really.

If you are still running the stock velineon system, you might consider upgrading to a bigger motor and ESC.

Upgrading the stock shock towers is a good idea. If you want to swap to a Hoss or Rustler 4x4 Chassis, and plan to use a Hoss or Rustler 4x4 body, then you will want to swap over to the Rustler 4x4 / Hoss shock towers so that you can use the clipless body system. I personally like the older style Shock Towers (upgraded to RPM) because you have more freedom to use any body you want, not just bodies that us the clipless body system.

New tires are a good idea, as the stock Talon tires are somewhat mediocre.

Otherwise i'd suggest just upgrading things as they break.

If I didn't have my stampede 4x4, I'd get a maxx 4s. I'd skip the hoss and save up for the maxx 4s.

If traxxas had a maxx 6s, I'd be all over that.

I extended my stampede 4x4 with a slash chassis and just installed some low profile 3.8" wheels/tires on it... also running 1/8th electronics in it... I just want a maxx 6s so bad I can taste it. lol!

I'd get an emaxx if it didn't have the weaknesses it's had since the tmaxx first came into existence.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC poster
    Sounds good! I think I’ll keep the same chassis and upgrades some of that stuff. Another thing I’ve done that I forgot to mention is i replaced the stock wheels with proline trenchers

Sounds good! I think I’ll keep the same chassis and upgrades some of that stuff. Another thing I’ve done that I forgot to mention is i replaced the stock wheels with proline trenchers
    Those will put your axles to the test. I had a hard time with the 2.8" chevrons snapping my axles on 2S when I first got it. Seemed like every bash session ended with an axle popping at the u-joint. By the time I got 2.8 trenchers, I had MIP's on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC poster
    I see. I’ve only had that happen once so far and I’m running 3s. I’m just kinda getting back into rc. My pede was retired for awhile because of a broken chassis and I didn’t get around to fixing it for a while. Kinda a funny story how the chassis broke. I was really bored and I got the bright idea to ramp it off the roof of the house. I was using one of my 3s batteries and I had some padding to land on. Well the 3s battery went dead so I went and got the 2s battery. Turns out that one wasn’t quite powerful enough to make it to the padding and it did a nosedive and landed on the ground. So my pede has just been sitting around for awhile but now I finally got it fixed.

We love our Stam4ede VXL and when the Hoss first released we wanted it however the price is only $70+/- less than a Maxx.
    The decision was easy to save up a little more cash for what seemed like a lot more truck!! We were not disapointed!!
    Keep the P4de to bide your time and save up to get a Maxx!!
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

RC poster
    Also, if I do keep the stampede, would it work to put a hosss chassis on it or would that not be a good idea?
    I think it's a good idea. Here's a post on what I did.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...87#post6563687