RC poster

New member here, do they sell a shock rebuild kit for the stampede 2wd?

Hello to all,

My son bent one of his shock shafts this past weekend. I was originally looking into upgrading his shocks but I didn't realize they were that expensive. I then looked to see if they sold the originals individually or in pairs but it turns out they only sell in a 4 pack. I really don't want to put more money into it since I will be upgrading him to some type of brushless 4x4 soon. So the question is do they sell the shafts separately and are they replaceable? I know some shocks have the shafts either molded or glued in. Which means you have to buy a whole new shock. I didn't really see any answers when I tried searching most of the answers were for the 4x4 stampede. TIA

Here is a link to the exploded view. In the top right it breaks down the shocks into individual parts.
    https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/St...Front-Assembly

The shafts are replaceable (shocks are completely rebuildable, you can get all the parts to rebuild or upgrade it). You could upgrade to the TiN coated shafts that are stiffer and harder to bend/break, but they do cost more than the same replacements:

The front TiN part number is #1664T.

The rear TiN part number is #2656T.

The replacement part numbers:

The front stock (exact replacement) part number is #1664.

The rear stock (exact replacement) part number is #2656.

Here is a link that I found for a whole set of the exact replacement ($23): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Ult...wAAOSwxbJe7T4f

If you are planning on upgrading, the GTR shocks are much better (more durable / comes with the TiN shafts, shock caps don't pop off, and has an overall better design that basically addresses all the problems the stock shocks have).

Note: The Stampede 2wd and Stampede 4x4 (along with several more trucks in Traxxas's 2wd/4x4 line) come with the same shocks. Most of the parts of a Traxxas 2wd model are interchangeable with other models from the 2wd line, and most of the parts of a Traxxas 4x4 model are interchangeable with other models from the 4x4 line. The 2wd models include the Bandit, Rustler, Slash, and Stampede, and the 4x4 models include the Rustler, Slash, Stampede, and Hoss.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    Thank you very much for all that information. I appreciate it!

RC Qualifier

New member here, do they sell a shock rebuild kit for the stampede 2wd?

What he said.

Make the kid fix it.

He will drive more carefully after that.

I bent a shock shaft my first week and after a short amount of research I immediately bought the set of GTR shocks.

I think I have 8 standard shocks in my parts box somewhere. I have the parts to cobble a second car together if I wanted to. I have been playing with 4Pedes for 6 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dmarzke; 11-04-2020 at 11:52 PM.

RC poster
    Trust me he will be fixing it himself. He is very independent and likes using his hands. I don't want v to throw money away which is why I don't really want to buy the GTRs. I think I'm going to order the set of 4 and get aluminum top hats. Thank you for the help though.

I know I'm a bit late, but have you tried just removing the shock from the car and bending it back? My shock shaft bent a while ago (not badly), and I was able to bend it back and it's worked great since.
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by EclipseMantis View Post
    I know I'm a bit late, but have you tried just removing the shock from the car and bending it back? My shock shaft bent a while ago (not badly), and I was able to bend it back and it's worked great since.
    I've done this in a pinch to keep me going for the day, but it's not recommended long-term. A previously bent shaft will be more likely to bend in the future. Also, it's easy to scratch the shafts up when trying to bend them back, leading to torn o-rings and leaky shocks.

Shock shafts are cheap and relatively easy to replace, so you're far better off replacing them.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle