Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

What am I doing wrong

Guys I have a used slash 4x4 I have been trying to get this to wheelie with enough power.
    Hobbywing max8. Castle 1515 2200kv motor 54 spur. And 14,16,18,20 and even 24 pinion will not make it wheelie
    3s or 4s will not do it either.
    I changed slipper to a erevo larger even turned it all the way in will not do it
    Will a 6s be any better?

RC Qualifier
    My slash won’t wheelie without a body. Put in aan many preload into the shocks as possible to get the centre of gravity higher. Get a high-grip surface. Heavier wheels/tires help.

Does your new slash have an LCG chassis? Mine has a HCG- chassis, way to much preload and a body with a ton of glue+drywall. Because of that, my centre of gratity is very high, and even then, I can barely wheelie. The slash is a long and stable truck. It will probably be a bit hard to wheelie

Will, I believe the stock motor should be the same as that found on the Rustler 4x4...which would be a 3500kV motor. With the Rusty 4x4 on 2S, it's very hard-pressed to do a wheelie. It typically takes 3S...again, on the stock 3500kV motor. That's (at 'nominal' voltage) 25,900rpm & 38,850rpm, respectively. If you're running only a 2200kV motor, even on 3S, you're only hitting 24,420rpm, which is 1,480rpm LESS than the stock motor on 2S. Jump up to 4S, and you're still only hitting 32,560rpm, which is 6,290rom less than the stock motor on 3S.

In other words, it's no wonder why your can't pull a wheelie - your motor is WAY TOO LOW, in terms of kV. In order to get up to enough rpm to pull a wheelie, you'd need to go up to 5S...but, the weight of the battery will probably be high enough to put too much weight too far forward. The other problem is that many ESCs have problems reading 5S...t they'll easily read 2S, 3S, 4S & 6S, but can have problems with 5S.

You need to replace the motor with a higher kV motor. 3500kV, with the stock pinion, is your best starting point. You could probably go as low as 3200kV, if going with a larger pontoon. In my Rusty 4x4, I'm running a 4200kV motor, with a 12T/54T combo.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Sounds like you have the power. Just make sure you have the traction.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks very much guys
    I have a full set of jconcepts barcodes and a full set of proline sct tires as well as new traxxas sct stock style
    I am thinking on another 3s and run 2 in series for 6s
    This slash with the 24 pinion on 4s is insane fast when moving and hit full power all 4 wheels spin like on ice
    Very interesting on the kv of the motor
    What brand do you suggest to try

My chassis is whatever traxxas sent in the box I put mip axles full set of bearings all aluminum arms knuckles all aluminum link bars
    Last edited by Kanada killer; 11-04-2020 at 05:51 PM.

RC Racer
    Weird...here is my Slash hcg with a Maxx body that has the 540xl and 4S esc along with the upgraded Hoss center diff with cast aluminum housing and it wheelies on demand

https://youtu.be/yvda8_Lozuk

I see you said it was used. Do you know if it has a center diff installed? That could limit the wheelies.

Ignore the Kv thing it is not accurate at all. I have a 1900Kv motor I pull wheelies with at almost any speed. It is about gearing, traction, current(amps), and weight transfer when trying to pull wheelies.

You should be able to pull wheelies easily with your setup. Unless you have a battery with a low C rating. Or bad soldering that is limiting the amp flow. Or the esc is having trouble pushing out the amps. Or you are just spinning the tires and can't hook up properly, requiring suspension tuning.

RC Enthusiast
    Man that is exactly my frustrations with this money pit of a slash.
    Your video is what I am after in terms of running not 80 mph just fun with power.
    My setup is easy twice as fast as your flyby a friend's speed gun shows about 75 mph
    So that was the reason for a 14 pinion to slow down the topend but this makes the slash spin all 4 wheels
    I at my wit's end with this

At first I used a castle mamba monster max with both a 3800kv and a 4600 of these both are tenth with a 3 mm shaft
    This all started when I ordered from traxxas slash pinions and they were 5 mm when they arrived.
    So searched that tenth esc are not good for the weight of the 4x4 but that still made the slash a speed king

Zedorda I don't know if it does not sure even what it is
    Truck has rear gears in the diff to the slipper through the drive shaft to the front is all I know

The castle 1515 will not even ballon the tires like on youtube
    Last edited by Kanada killer; 11-04-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Sounds like you have the power. Just make sure you have the traction.
    This^^^ I run a 2150kv(4074 1/8th scale) geared 20/54. It would blow off any SC style tire I ran. Installed 2.8 Trenchers and it wheelies on command on 3s. That 2200kv will make MORE than enough power....just gotta get it to hook!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Enthusiast
    Guys one thing I forgot to ask is
    The esc I bought new and it came with wiring for 2 batteries and had a different style connector I cut it off and soldered deans plug on for 1 battery could that be a reason for the lack of power

Quote Originally Posted by Kanada killer View Post
    Zedorda I don't know if it does not sure even what it is
    Truck has rear gears in the diff to the slipper through the drive shaft to the front is all I know

The castle 1515 will not even ballon the tires like on youtube
    Nevermind I missed you already installed the revo slipper clutch. A center diff would replace the slipper clutch.

I have a full set of jconcepts barcodes and a full set of proline sct tires as well as new traxxas sct stock style
    I think part of the problem is your tires. The Slash 4x4 is a fairly heavy vehicle, with a larger chassis than the Stampede4x4, Rustler4x4, or Hoss4x4. A big motor and heavy battery pack only adds to the weight. Short-Course Truck tires are tiny, equivalent to 1/10th scale buggy tires. That's a tiny amount of traction for a large amount of weight.

Most people who are running a Slash 4x4 and popping wheelies easily are running 2.8" Monster Truck tires (Stampede 4x4 / Hoss tires). The larger size gives them much more grip.

My Slash 4x4 Monster Truck running a Castle Mamba Monster X / 2200kv 1515 motor, geared 18/54, 4s Lipo, with 2.8" belted Proline Trenchers will do wheelies as long as I hold down the trigger. I even got the upgraded aluminum wheelie-bar wheels that use bearings to keep it more stable during the wheelie.

RC Enthusiast
    Gotnorice thank you
    That is very good advice proline trenchers I will try
    What time do you use proline ?

RC Enthusiast
    sorry for the above typo
    i meant to say what type of rim do you use with the trenchers proline?

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Will, I believe the stock motor should be the same as that found on the Rustler 4x4...which would be a 3500kV motor. With the Rusty 4x4 on 2S, it's very hard-pressed to do a wheelie. It typically takes 3S...again, on the stock 3500kV motor. That's (at 'nominal' voltage) 25,900rpm & 38,850rpm, respectively. If you're running only a 2200kV motor, even on 3S, you're only hitting 24,420rpm, which is 1,480rpm LESS than the stock motor on 2S. Jump up to 4S, and you're still only hitting 32,560rpm, which is 6,290rom less than the stock motor on 3S.

In other words, it's no wonder why your can't pull a wheelie - your motor is WAY TOO LOW, in terms of kV. In order to get up to enough rpm to pull a wheelie, you'd need to go up to 5S...but, the weight of the battery will probably be high enough to put too much weight too far forward. The other problem is that many ESCs have problems reading 5S...t they'll easily read 2S, 3S, 4S & 6S, but can have problems with 5S.

You need to replace the motor with a higher kV motor. 3500kV, with the stock pinion, is your best starting point. You could probably go as low as 3200kV, if going with a larger pontoon. In my Rusty 4x4, I'm running a 4200kV motor, with a 12T/54T combo.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    You forgot about gearing way up, with a bigger motor you will still get more power to the ground if you gear up on a bigger battery.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Enthusiast
    yes that seems true
    i watch v2vids on youtube were he is going for a world record water crossing and the gears he installed looked to close to the same size it was the largest pinion i have seen and his tests on land was a wheelie monster.
    however he was on a 8s
    i think it is a xmax he is using
    here is a thought that just hit me maybe the slash is not the right platform for this
    maybe i need a monster truck platform

RC Qualifier
    I have stock gearing with stock velineon motor, center diff with 60k oil and I can wheelie whenever I want. I also have the stock ultimate tires, which are a softer compound.

yes that seems true
    i watch v2vids on youtube were he is going for a world record water crossing and the gears he installed looked to close to the same size it was the largest pinion i have seen and his tests on land was a wheelie monster.
    however he was on a 8s
    i think it is a xmax he is using
    here is a thought that just hit me maybe the slash is not the right platform for this
    maybe i need a monster truck platform
    My brother has a Traxxas Ford Fiesta which is basically the Slash but with a low CG chassis (meaning it's harder to wheelie). I shoved a hobbywing brushless motor in there and with super high gearing on 3s that thing pops wheelies like crazy. Keep in mind I am on stock tires and the slipper clutch is tightened down beyond belief. I linked the motor below.

https://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/pr...hless-motor-sl

The power to weight of that system is what really allows it to pop wheelies. It's kinda funny because the center driveshaft is still the stock plastic one and it bends so much at high speeds (due to centrifugal force) that it slaps the receiver box.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

I have the slash hcg chassis on my stampede 4x4 with blx185 esc/2200kv 4074 motor and it wheelies without issue on 3S. I have a center diff in it (version 1 with FLM cup) with 500K (I think) in it and it will still wheelie whenever I punch it. It's geared for 45mph (20/54), taller than that and it overheats still when running in the grass for 23-25 minutes for a 6200mah pack.

Guessing your issue is your tires and lack of traction, as mentioned by others. I ran 2.8" trencher MT's on it. I recently changed to larger wheels though, wanted less rolling resistance and a bit more ground clearance. I dropped the pinion down to 17T to compensate for the larger OD tire. I speed checked it with a 17T on it at 45mph, and after running it, I changed to 18T. Guessing it's closer to 48mph now.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 11-05-2020 at 07:19 PM.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

what type of rim do you use with the trenchers proline?
    I have run two sets of regular proline trenchers (non-belted) over the years, both mounted on Traxxas All-Star Black Chrome wheels.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/5576A

When I got my recent set of Belted Trenchers, I went with a pre-mounted set:

https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...es-mounted.asp

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you guys for your thoughts
    This helps me more then you know. It shows me I am on the right track. Not sure if I mentioned this but I am understanding the sct tires are doing what they are meant for but I am pushing beyond there limit.
    This slash with 24/54 on 4s with the 1/8 scale esc and motor is insane so much it is uncontrollably out of straight line. On a open road I can't give it full throttle or it will blow off the tires and spin out l can only give it half
    Looking at the trenchers has me concussed I see proline has them listed for the sct style rim but the 2.8 are mounted on a rim for the stampede . Now the confusion comes from the changeable hubs. How do you guys mount these on the slash if it needs the sct style to clear
    Last edited by Kanada killer; 11-05-2020 at 09:11 PM.

They have both, some on standard 2.8 MT wheels and some on sct wheels:
    https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...unted-raid.asp

The sct line:
    https://www.prolineracing.com/short-...t-truck-tires/

Those badland MX sc look like they should grip something:

RC Enthusiast
    Just went to proline for the 2.8 mounted and those suckers are pricey. $134.90 cdn for a pair

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    The normal badlands are also awesome! If the grass is the right length/grip, I can do wheelies on a 7 cell nimh!!
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

I have the mx28 hp belted badlands on my slash 2wd and the traction on any surface is incredible. They're a heavy tire though so be weary of that. I've gone through lots of axles since i swapped these big boys on here.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Duratrax has some pretty aggressive short course tires too:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/pre-mou...5?fb=121&lg=fb

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    They have both, some on standard 2.8 MT wheels and some on sct wheels:

The sct line:
    https://www.prolineracing.com/short-...t-truck-tires/

just bought a set of the badland mx mounted on the raid rim with the hub inserts
    does this mean the supplied 12mm hex works or do theses still need a adaptor

Good choice and yes they will fit and if you later go up to 17mm they sell 17mm hubs for those rims. I recently bought the same set but haven't glued them up yet.

Yeah they work. I got them for my truck too. The belted hp mx28s. 12m hex.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you guys for your thoughts and your help
    This has been a great place for rc lovers with all you great guys here .
    I think I will get a set of the trenchers as well to test which one works for me
    I have seen a lot of youtube videos on both and they get great results
    I am also thinking on the 2.8 trenchers that are more like monster truck style but just need to know what do I do to mount on the slash
    That is why I did not get them first

I think the trenchers come with the same hub extension parts that the badlands do.

RC Enthusiast
    Guys over the weekend I decided to power this to the moon. I have a gene ace battery love and own a 2s. 3s and 4s. I bought another 3s
    And made a deans series y connector for the 2 3s batteries to be 6s. Ordered a set of 4 of the trenchers in 2.8 and a 45 tooth spur gear
    This thing is going to have power

What is your end goal for your rig?
    Power with little control is only fun for a little bit.
    Must have balance...

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    Well I am not a basher or a world record wanted just a crazy powerful rig that will only see pavement with a little off-road.
    I really don't like getting my rc dirty so no mud and never wet.
    Only take my slash out about 5 times a year
    I build everything to crazy power as I believe there is no such thing as too much
    700 hp honda prelude
    1983 gpz1100 bored to 1327cc
    80 mazda rx7 swapped in a 351w turbo
    See what I mean ha ha

Just about everything outside of competitive competition is bashing.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Just about everything outside of competitive competition is bashing.
    I just mean not back flips or jumps for distance I am not into carnage and breaking parts from high high jumps you see on youtube
    Kevin talbot style of 40 feet in the air.

Kevin talbot is nuts. But i love his videos. At first i thought he was a little strange, but i guess everybody has a little bit of strange to them.

I just mean not back flips or jumps for distance I am not into carnage and breaking parts from high high jumps you see on youtube
    Kevin talbot style of 40 feet in the air.
    I am with you on that. I like driving more than wrenching.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I am with you on that. I like driving more than wrenching.
    another question
    this castle 1515 is very notchy when turned by hand and i just noticed the slash runs like drag brake is on.
    i checked with the program card to make sure it was off but seems like something is holding back the motor.
    do these work like this or is that a issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post

My 2400kv motor is a wheelie master! You can be at quarter throttle, floor it and the front end will come off the ground on 3s
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast