RC Qualifier

First Body Ever - Mandalorian Edition

So... as things usually do, I ordered a red tbone chassis brace thinking it would look fine with my purple stock body... and it didnít. Instead of returning it and getting a black one, I took the obvious route, which is to make a custom body (thatís what everyone does, right? Right?).

The caveat is that I know nothing of painting bodies, which meant I have had to turn to YouTube university. Since I am a Star Wars fan, I figured that Iíd go with a theme in that direction, hence how I came to the Mandalorian theme.

Started off with drawing on the body with dry erase markers to try out different designs, and while I know I want the majority of the body to be either silver or gunmetal, I didnít have that color marker. I used brown as a stand-in for the silver/metal color.

The next steps was the prep the body for paint. So per YT Uni... you have to wash the body with soap to remove any oils and fingerprints, etc. Did that and found if you wash too hard, you will inadvertently pull up a bit of the overspray protector - so ďgently washĒ!

The most recent work was getting everything masked for painting. I plan on having the brown areas silver or gun metal as stated above, but the red areas will be metallic red and the black just plain black. Iíve ordered duramax paints as they were most available to me. Thinking I will do a black back coat, but I am going to do some test paints on a piece of plastic to figure out which I like best (color-wise).

For the masking, I built out some of the logos on my PC from internet art and modifying it to meet my needs. Then cut it out of removable vinyl with a Cricut machine. Then I masked off the other areas with colored masking/painters tape. The light/white areas will be black, the yellowish taped areas will be red.

Next will be painting (which is what worries me the most). Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    Instead of returning it and getting a black one, I took the obvious route, which is to make a custom body (that’s what everyone does, right? Right?).
    Lol riiiggghhhht. I love the Mandalorian series! I'm liking what you've done with the masking so far, I think it'll be pretty sweet looking. The one issue I had with my first paint job was I didn't press some parts of the tape all the way down, so it leaked a bit. Also parts of the wheel wells weren't fully covered with paint. Other than that, I have no pro tips for you.

Can't wait to see the finished product, good luck man!
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier
    Cool, thanks man. Yeah I keep rubbing down the tape thinking bits of it are going to let paint bleed, although I don’t really see any peeling. Paints came in today, so I’ll do some test mixes on a piece of plastic before I apply to the body. Thinking I’ll back it all in black because of metallic colors, but not sure yet. I have silver white and black that could be used as a final coat.

Nice. With the orange, I'm guessing that you're going for more of a Boba Fett vibe.
    If yes, then you need the Fett clan crest on it:

Can't wait to see your final pics!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Sp2deSummit View Post
    Lol riiiggghhhht. I love the Mandalorian series! I'm liking what you've done with the masking so far, I think it'll be pretty sweet looking. The one issue I had with my first paint job was I didn't press some parts of the tape all the way down, so it leaked a bit. Also parts of the wheel wells weren't fully covered with paint. Other than that, I have no pro tips for you.

Can't wait to see the finished product, good luck man!
    Mandalorian is awesome! I just finished watching the Clone Wars with my friend on Halloween and it adds a whole new depth to the Star Wars universe and it really creates a emotional attachment to the Clone Troopers. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend that you check it out, the guy I watched it with has seen it 3 times! At first I hated the animation style but you quickly grow accustomed to it.

[!!!Spoiler Alert for Mandalorian S2E1!!!]

Upon my first watch of the season 2 episode I absolutely lost it when the "Shariff" appeared on screen! Seeing Boba Fett's armor sparked big hopes for me seeing as Boba Fett supposedly died after being eaten my a sarlacc in episode 6, my mind was racing with the idea that the basis for all clones could still be alive (I know he is technically a clone himself but he is a perfect replication of Jango, there is no increased aging or inhibitor chip). My excitement was only further exaggerated by the fact that the Krayt Dragon had supposedly eaten the Sarlacc that used to occupy his home. But nothing could've prepared me for the last clip of the episode.... You see the Mandalorian riding across the Tatooine's horizon in the background and in the foreground there is the silhouette of what looks like a Tusken Raider, but as he turns around it is revealed that it's actually Boba Fett played by the original actor Temuera Morrison. I'm so excited for tomorrow and the coming weeks, I have a feeling that Mandalorian is about to get a lot more interesting.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Nice. With the orange, I'm guessing that you're going for more of a Boba Fett vibe.
    If yes, then you need the Fett clan crest on it:

Can't wait to see your final pics!
    It's inspired by the red on fett's helmet, but mostly because I wanted to tie red into the body somewhere. But I envision the body to be more of the beskar color look, which is like a medium-dark silver color.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    Mandalorian is awesome! I just finished watching the Clone Wars with my friend on Halloween and it adds a whole new depth to the Star Wars universe and it really creates a emotional attachment to the Clone Troopers. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend that you check it out, the guy I watched it with has seen it 3 times! At first I hated the animation style but you quickly grow accustomed to it.

[!!!Spoiler Alert for Mandalorian S2E1!!!]
    Yeah I am on my way through all star wars films and shows according to the timeline, so right now I am on the Rebels animated series, which is after the awesome clone wars series. Clone wars adds more back story to star wars than nearly any other media on the topic, so as a SW lover, I have to be a fan of it.

It's inspired by the red on fett's helmet, but mostly because I wanted to tie red into the body somewhere. But I envision the body to be more of the beskar color look, which is like a medium-dark silver color.

Yeah I am on my way through all star wars films and shows according to the timeline, so right now I am on the Rebels animated series, which is after the awesome clone wars series. Clone wars adds more back story to star wars than nearly any other media on the topic, so as a SW lover, I have to be a fan of it.
    I haven't actually seen the Rebels series, is it any good? I know it's more for kids but I'm still curious if it adds any valuable story to the franchise.

RC Qualifier
    I haven't actually seen the Rebels series, is it any good? I know it's more for kids but I'm still curious if it adds any valuable story to the franchise.
    It is very good and partially the drive for this color design.

In Star Wars timeline, Rebels is between movie episodes III and IV. Actually just before Rogue One... the Ghost is even in the end of Rogue One!

There are also some real good books/novels in the Star Wars universe!

It is very good and partially the drive for this color design.
    I'll have to take a look at it then!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    In Star Wars timeline, Rebels is between movie episodes III and IV. Actually just before Rogue One... the Ghost is even in the end of Rogue One!

There are also some real good books/novels in the Star Wars universe!
    Rouge One is actually my favorite Star Wars movie, something about the Death Troopers is just soo cool to me.

RC Qualifier
    After some testing, for the main color of the body, I will be going with 3 coats of Gunmetal backed by two of bright silver - gives me a color with some good depth but not too dark.

Working on what I am going to back the metallic red with - looking like white, but I need to see how it contrasts to the body color otherwise I might just do a silver backing on that too.

Rouge One is actually my favorite Star Wars movie, something about the Death Troopers is just soo cool to me.
    Do it!

RC Qualifier
    Got the dark silver layer on, which ended up to be two coats of gunmetal and 3 coats of silver. I wanted it a bit brighter than the gunmetal alone gave. It’s now ready for the red.

I was testing out the red to find what color back it need and kept getting weird outcomes and could quite figure it out. I set down the can upside down by accident an noticed that it was CANDY red ... not the metallic red I had ordered! That explained so much. I added about 8 more light layers to build up the candy color and backed with silver to finally get the color I was looking for...

Now that’s sorted out, I am starting the red layers on the body...

RC Qualifier
    Finished up the multitude of different layers and colors - as a reflection, I probably should have taken on something simpler for my first ever body. Learned some good lessons on masking areas and how to (and not to) layer coats to get certain effects.

All in all I ended up:
    1. 2 coats of gun metal, 3 of silver
    2. Pulled off all tape masking red areas
    3. Sprayed around 12-15 coats of that candy red, followed by 2 silver
    4. Pulled off the masks for the black areas
    5. 4 layers of black (also was backing color for all areas)
    6. Pulled off mandalorian script on back top panel and then did the 2 gunmetal and 2 silver layers
    7. Sprayed final black coat over it all

Here’s how it all turned out:

Once the paint fully cures in a day or two, I will drill the holes for the clip retainers I have and then mount the body for real. Now it matches the red chassis brace.
    Last edited by halygon; 11-10-2020 at 10:18 PM.

That is a lot of layers of paint... must be a heavy body now.

Looks great!

Love that Neo Crusader crest!

RC Qualifier
    To be fair, I’m not going for a light build with all the fans I got on this sucker

But the body isn’t really much heavier.

Traxxas Marshal
    Nice job! Looks great, especially for a first paint job!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    And here’s the final pic after mounted with clips and retainers added:

Thanks everyone!

Dang! Looks amazing man, certainly better than my first paint job
    I like free stuff!

RC Racer
    Nice work. Always like to see something a bit different.

RC poster
    looks wonderful.good job

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by racecar115 View Post
    looks wonderful.good job
    Thank you!