Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    RC Racer EclipseMantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    138

    Cooling in grassy conditions

    I finally started running lipos and it makes a massive difference, including heat. My motor isn't absurdly hot, only around 155 f, but that's because I frequently check it and let it cool. I don't think it's my gearing. I'm using and 11t pinion and a 54t spur, and the brushed diffs. (In other words, the stock brushed gearing.) I have a 9t pinion, too.

    Which brings me to my question: Will fans work if I run mainly in grass (some of it dead) and dirt, or will they get clogged up? If that won't work, then what else can I use to cool the motor? Also, I thought that a fan would plug into the esc fan thingy, but a lot of people here seem to power them through the receiver? What makes the fan have power?
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    168
    The Fans will work in grass. most will run in any condition because most aren't waterproof. The esc fan thingy is for the esc fan, so the cord isn't too long. The receiver has multiple channels, and you an plug the fan into one of those channels to power the fan when the car is powered on

  3. #3
    RC Racer EclipseMantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    138
    The fans won't get filled with grass? Good! I still don't get the receiver, though. I know it has several channels, but will the receiver know to power a channel when I plug a fan in, or do I have to tell it to somehow?
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    168
    Are you running a dust cover? If not, put chicken wire over the fans to stop rocks and larger debris from entering

    As for plugging the fan into the receiver, here is a video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcrgjU97rDs

  5. #5
    RC Racer EclipseMantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    138
    I'm not using any cover, but the chicken wire is a great idea! Thanks for the video link! El Sob, How's the Integy dual fan holding up? I noticed you recommended it quite a bit a few years back.
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    288
    Fans do work fit sure, but they aren’t all good. I’ve tried a couple different brands and yeah racing keeps working the best.

    Here is my current setup, my old setup with integy fans and velineon ESC fan did not keep it cool, but this new layout does it quite well. I run nothing but 3s.



    As to the question about grass and other debris - it can and will get in the fans. For that reason, I have a dust cover, although I have also seen trays that fill in the wheel wells that do a similar job without encasing the electronics.


  7. #7
    RC Racer EclipseMantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    138
    Okay, it sounds like I need a dust cover. I already kinda wanted one, and I can get one for 12 bucks off Amazon. I get tons of debris in my truck, and never thought about a way to fix it. How much does the cover inhibit cooling? It must not be that bad if you ONLY run 3s!
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

  8. #8
    RC Champion zedorda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    1,484
    Careful with the cheap Amazon/Ebay dust covers. They commonly have absolute garbage adhesive on the velcro. Just going to a local hardware store and getting the 3M velcro is a huge improvement if you have trouble.
    Last edited by zedorda; 11-06-2020 at 01:15 AM.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier GotNoRice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    622
    I run a debris cover sometimes. They do a great job of keeping debris out, but also do a great job of trapping heat inside. I only use mine these days if it's practically freezing temperatures outside.

    In most cases I'd rather just use it without the debris cover, and then simply use my air compressor to blow the debris out afterward, than worry about motor or ESC temps.

    I bought a roll of aluminum screen-door material from the local hardware store for about $5. I just cut out a section and zip-tie it over any fan that I want to protect against debris. This is the large fan that I modded onto my Mamba Monster X:


  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,493
    Hobbystar 30mm alloy framed fans are pretty good. I have quite a few of those in service at the moment. On my 2 main 6S trucks, I covered the fans with a stainless steel mesh. Was a bit of a pain, but keeps rocks out and usually grass. Grass just sticks the the top of the mesh and I smear it off with my thumb if it gets blocked too bad. The alloy framed fans seem to hold up the best for big air. They don't flex/crack like plastic fans do. When plastic fans flex, the blades hit the sides of the fan or the mesh and then they shatter.

    Fan: https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-tu...x30mm-red.html
    Mesh: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077M93J18

    Just a cheap cooler like this with a couple good high velocity fans will drop your motor temps quite a bit:
    https://www.amazon.com/Mxfans-N10108.../dp/B01EHHNXO6

    The fans on my ERBEv2 with a powerhobby cooler for 1/8th motors:


    I buy the 2mm or 3mm thick versions of these:
    https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-al...acer-10pk.html

    Cut the screen, drill holes the best I can for the screws, run the screws through the screen and the fan, put a spacer on the bolt next to the bottom of the fan, then crimp it a bit with pliers. They are aluminum, so the squish a bit and hold onto the screw. Then your not fighting trying to keep them on the other 3 screws while trying to attach the fan. Make sure to use threadlock on the screws as well.

    Having the spacers moves the fan away from the cooler a bit so it can flow air better. Having a fan too close to what your cooling kind of suffocates the fan.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 11-06-2020 at 01:57 AM.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    302
    Don’t et the integy fan/heatsink. Mine spun at half speed after a month,a couple of weeks later it completely stopped working, and a couple of runs later, it tell apart

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    Don’t et the integy fan/heatsink. Mine spun at half speed after a month,a couple of weeks later it completely stopped working, and a couple of runs later, it tell apart
    Mine is still going strong. Where did you run yours?

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    302
    Forest, grass fields, very bumpy roads

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier ElectricPropils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by EclipseMantis View Post
    I finally started running lipos and it makes a massive difference, including heat. My motor isn't absurdly hot, only around 155 f, but that's because I frequently check it and let it cool. I don't think it's my gearing. I'm using and 11t pinion and a 54t spur, and the brushed diffs. (In other words, the stock brushed gearing.) I have a 9t pinion, too.

    Which brings me to my question: Will fans work if I run mainly in grass (some of it dead) and dirt, or will they get clogged up? If that won't work, then what else can I use to cool the motor? Also, I thought that a fan would plug into the esc fan thingy, but a lot of people here seem to power them through the receiver? What makes the fan have power?
    If I'm going to be honest the best way to solve this (by far not the cheapest way) would be to buy a bigger motor and gear your car accordingly. With a bigger motor you can get for the same speeds but still get reduced temperatures. A fan will reduce motor temp but only to a certain degree, obviously driving circumstances affect this and everyone will have different results but in general you will only see a 15-20 degree difference.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    880
    Go scorched rc and don’t look back






  16. #16
    RC Qualifier NitroBugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    349
    Would love to try the inner fenders, but can't get past the price tag. I'm sure they work well though.

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroBugg View Post
    Would love to try the inner fenders, but can't get past the price tag. I'm sure they work well though.
    IMHO the car should have them from the factory and it would cost far less per unit at their scale, scorched rc is an independent business and deserves our support for creating and continuing to produce a product that every slash can actually benefit from. People throw obscene amount of money on bling on these cars on unnecessary “scale” or aluminum accessories but amain had a hard time selling these at 40 a piece.

  18. #18
    RC Racer EclipseMantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    138
    Thanks! Okay, It sounds like I'm gonna have to pay like $60 for a leaf-proof setup. Nope!

    I ran it really hard today, and I got to 179 įF, so it's borderline okay. It's only gonna get colder where I live, (so better cooling) and I can get a better system soon.

    Do you guys think sensored is worth it? For what I'm looking at, it's going to be about an extra $50.
    Last edited by EclipseMantis; 11-08-2020 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added something
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    288
    180 is too hot IMO.

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by EclipseMantis View Post
    Thanks! Okay, It sounds like I'm gonna have to pay like $60 for a leaf-proof setup. Nope!

    I ran it really hard today, and I got to 179 įF, so it's borderline okay. It's only gonna get colder where I live, (so better cooling) and I can get a better system soon.

    Do you guys think sensored is worth it? For what I'm looking at, it's going to be about an extra $50.

    Amain still has the hcg version fenders for 40 bucks.

    There is an alternative to throwing down tons of money upgrading everything else but when it comes to 40 dollars to keep your electronics from clogging up, suddenly itís ďtoo muchĒ. There is no reason to go sensored unless you race or drive at low speed a lot. Everyone ends up spending an e revo worth of money or more on a Sl4sh that looks like a dustbin after a pack of lipo but itís too much to get fenders? I donít know about that.

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroBugg View Post
    Would love to try the inner fenders, but can't get past the price tag. I'm sure they work well though.
    They could drop the price a bit by leaving the lexan scissors out. But they are a pain to trim and fit. I'm waiting to get a LCG cover.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    RC Racer EclipseMantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Amain still has the hcg version fenders for 40 bucks.

    There is an alternative to throwing down tons of money upgrading everything else but when it comes to 40 dollars to keep your electronics from clogging up, suddenly itís ďtoo muchĒ. There is no reason to go sensored unless you race or drive at low speed a lot. Everyone ends up spending an e revo worth of money or more on a Sl4sh that looks like a dustbin after a pack of lipo but itís too much to get fenders? I donít know about that.
    I see your point, but the only reason I want fenders to to protect the fan, and the fenders ($40), 2 tornado plus fans ($35), and the heatsink ($15), tax, and you're at about $100, actually! I don't really care about the dust.

    At that price, it isn't outlandish to replace the system for something that has more power and less heat issues.
    Last edited by EclipseMantis; 11-08-2020 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added stuff
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

  23. #23
    RC Racer EclipseMantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    180 is too hot IMO.
    Yeah, I agree. I'm gonna try to keep it cooler.
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by EclipseMantis View Post
    I see your point, but the only reason I want fenders to to protect the fan, and the fenders ($40), 2 tornado plus fans ($35), and the heatsink ($15), tax, and you're at about $100, actually! I don't really care about the dust.

    At that price, it isn't outlandish to replace the system for something that has more power and less heat issues.
    Here is one thought I had. You said you are running brushed diff with vxl system and 11/54? Maybe first try gearing *up* to, say, 13 or 14 tooth pinion? The brushed diff ring gear has a roughly 1:4 ratio while the vxl comes with more like 1:3, so it’s possible your motor is turning too fast for the voltage running 11/54

  25. #25
    RC Racer EclipseMantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    138
    I'd totally be willing to try that. At worst, I get to have actual gearing for speed runs.
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    880
    Yeah, itís a cheap item to tinker with. You might even try the speed run pinion that came with it (17?) and see if it reduces the temp a bit now that you are running the vxl-3s+3500kv system on the brushed diffs just to see if it helps. If my memory serves me right the motor running hot but not the esc means the motor is revving too fast from being undergeared

  27. #27
    RC Qualifier Calebs0615's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    891
    A sensored motor is a lot smoother than a non sensored one. Its not as notchy.

    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    A sensored motor is a lot smoother than a non sensored one. Its not as notchy.

    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
    How much of the difference matters for bashers though? Many (most?) high end long can 40xx or 15xx motors like Poseidon, tp power, Cordova and I think Neu motors are unsensored and people seem to run the heck out of them just fine.

  29. #29
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,493
    Once your rolling, it's irrelevant. Sensored only really does anything up to 5mph or so. I think castle's system shuts off after it gets to a certain RPM.

    I have the MMX/2200kv sensored on my savage. Figured I'd try it out just to see. Unless I'm literally going slower than a walking pace, it's not even noticeably different compared to my outcast and erbev2 with a max6/2050kv unsensored system in them. But if I'm literally creeping, that is the only time it's apparent that my savage has something different under the hood.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  30. #30
    RC Qualifier Calebs0615's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    How much of the difference matters for bashers though? Many (most?) high end long can 40xx or 15xx motors like Poseidon, tp power, Cordova and I think Neu motors are unsensored and people seem to run the heck out of them just fine.
    I wouldn't say its very relevant for bashing. Just cause your not crawling around much. But a rock crawler would benefit with a sensored motor for sure.

    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,617
    Quote Originally Posted by EclipseMantis View Post
    I'm not using any cover, but the chicken wire is a great idea! Thanks for the video link! El Sob, How's the Integy dual fan holding up? I noticed you recommended it quite a bit a few years back.
    Integy dual fan heatsinks are an excellent piece, once you remove the integy fans and replace them with Yeah Racing fans
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  32. #32
    RC Qualifier Calebs0615's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Integy dual fan heatsinks are an excellent piece, once you remove the integy fans and replace them with Yeah Racing fans
    I was gonna say....

    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

  33. #33
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Integy dual fan heatsinks are an excellent piece, once you remove the integy fans and replace them with Yeah Racing fans
    +1 on integy heatsink with yeah racing fans

  34. #34
    RC Racer EclipseMantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    138
    Okay, I wasn't going to update this, but since it already got bumped, I might as well. On Friday, I got an order that had, among other things, a 13t gear, an aluminum motor mount, and an aluminum motor plate. All of those really seem to help, and the heat isn't a big problem anymore.

    TwoBelugas, the brushed version doesn't come with any optional gearing .
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •