Hoss motor into Rustler 4x4 VXL?

So I'm interested in putting the motor from a Hoss into my car. What would that involve? In looking at the vehicles, the motor should bolt up no problem. How about the ESC? Would I be able to use my current VXL3s? I've seen somewhere about the Hoss motor having bigger wiring connections? I have already upgraded the axles, and I'll upgrade other parts as needed. Thank you!

Rustler 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    You either have to replace the existing connectors on your vxl-3s to 6.5mm connectors or get adapters. The hoss motor uses bigger connector than the stock rustler 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    You either have to replace the existing connectors on your vxl-3s to 6.5mm connectors or get adapters. The hoss motor uses bigger connector than the stock rustler 4x4
    That's what I needed to know! Thanks!

Rustler 4x4 VXL

RC Competitor
    According to the specs for each motor, the 540xl is 1.38" longer than the stock motor. I assume you would have to push the ESC forward and relocate the receiver box?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SeekerOfTruth View Post
    According to the specs for each motor, the 540xl is 1.38" longer than the stock motor. I assume you would have to push the ESC forward and relocate the receiver box?
    No. There is enough space that the 540xl fits fine without moving the esc. I have one Rustl4r set up like that and it all fits as if it was preplanned. The 540xl is just 14mm longer than the 3500kv motor.

https://traxxas.com/news/hoss-tech-velineon-540xl
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 11-10-2020 at 08:51 PM.

No. There is enough space that the 540xl fits fine without moving the esc. I have one Rustl4r set up like that and it all fits as if it was preplanned. The 540xl is just 14mm longer than the 3500kv motor.

That's what I was hoping to hear, but I was planning on figuring all that out once I get the project started. It will be a couple months. Will it hurt anything to use adapters to my current ESC, or would it be better to get one from a Hoss?

Rustler 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    I would either cut off the current connectors on the esc and solder on the bigger ones, or wait. I’m not a big fan of choking the current coming out of the esc.

Just to update this thread, the Hoss 540XL and VXL3S fit like a glove! No modifications needed. The only thing I ran into is when removing the motor plate from the 3500 motor I stripped the screw head. I ended up having to drill it out. That was my stupid fault though.

Rustler 4x4 VXL

Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    Just to update this thread, the Hoss 540XL and VXL3S fit like a glove! No modifications needed. The only thing I ran into is when removing the motor plate from the 3500 motor I stripped the screw head. I ended up having to drill it out. That was my stupid fault though.

Rustler 4x4 VXL
    Thanks for the update. I saw the other post i was looking forward to seeing this.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor

Realized I never came back to see your response. Thanks! I'm not sure where I pulled that figure from. I ultimately figured it out for myself and installed one into my new build.