Thinking Of Buying The UDR...

A little background...

I was really interested in getting the UDR when it first came out and at that time I had just sold my Slash 2wd and was really interested in the UDR, X-Maxx and even a Slash 4x4 (documented here...). I ended up buying the X-Maxx 8S back then, yet I've always loved the look of the UDR. I felt it was a bigger, better looking Slash and I've always liked the Short Course & Desert truck look.

Fast forward to today and I'm looking at the UDR again. Get this, I even have my wife's approval!!! Yeah I know, I was surprised too! lol! I went to two LHS today but neither of them had the UDR. They both said that Traxxas seems to be out of stock on a lot of things and it's been really difficult getting inventory for the holidays. I really want the FOX, orange/white UDR but neither shop had an ETA. I guess I can try online but just wanted to support my LHS since they've been taken a beating this year as have many other businesses.

Also, while I've been reading up on the UDR and watching videos about it, the Losi SBR 2.0 came out and I got a little distracted with that. However, from what I've read and seen with the SBR 2.0, it seems like it has some things that just don't seem right to me plus it's even more expensive than the UDR. I like that the SBR 2.0 can apparently handle more abuse than the UDR but I'm not sure that's my style. I'd like to jump it but not air it out and abuse it but then again bashing my X-Maxx is tons of FUN.

So I'm still on the fence with both the UDR and the SBR 2.0, trying to figure out my priorities and I'm leaning more towards the UDR right now, just can't find one locally. Since they seem to be harder to find, I was also wondering if anyone feels Traxxas might release a bigger version of the UDR with 8S power to match the SBR 2.0??? I was thinking back when Traxxas released the X-Maxx 8S after the 6S and made some improvements to it, so does anyone think it's time for Traxxas to maybe do this with the UDR? If not bigger scale, 8S, maybe improve things (i.e., waterproof servo, address the roll over/diff thing and some other issues that ones talk about)???

Deep down, I prefer Traxxas' "eco-system" with great customer & parts support (which it seem anything Horizon is unpredictable when it comes to discontinuing products and parts) and I also like using the Traxxas Link. I know there's no perfect RC out there but the X-Maxx is pretty darn close to it imo! I'm an RC plane guy btw yet I have to admit, the X-Maxx is my favorite RC and I feel it was money DEFINITELY well spent! I guess I want to feel the same way about my next RC, especially since I got the boss' approval - ya know, before she changes her mind! LOL!

Sorry for the long post...

RC Racer
    You canít drive a UDR like a Revo. Mine is best at 4S on training mode. And Iím an experienced RC car club racer from decades ago
    This Pro Scale series is meant to be realistic. Think of the 1000+ horsepower in a real trophy truck. When itís on sport mode on 4S itís like 2000+ horsepower. And with 6S itís probably 5000+ horsepower. 4S hurts your UDR. 6S kills it
    Go the realistic way and youíll be happy. Or watch your beautiful Team Lofton/Fox Racing Edition tumble when you do power slides. Itíll catch on the new tiresí edges and there it goes...tumbling. Ouch! And you WILL accidentally jump it higher and farther then you wanted. Fun if youíre a basher and can afford it. Youíre wife will then be ****ed at the money you spend fixing it
    Sport mode on 4S is cheaper and safer on your budget. And your marriage. And once again - more realistic
    And about your long post - I donít mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dbestfromclovis View Post
    You canít drive a UDR like a Revo. Mine is best at 4S on training mode. And Iím an experienced RC car club racer from decades ago
    This Pro Scale series is meant to be realistic. Think of the 1000+ horsepower in a real trophy truck. When itís on sport mode on 4S itís like 2000+ horsepower. And with 6S itís probably 5000+ horsepower. 4S hurts your UDR. 6S kills it
    Go the realistic way and youíll be happy. Or watch your beautiful Team Lofton/Fox Racing Edition tumble when you do power slides. Itíll catch on the new tiresí edges and there it goes...tumbling. Ouch! And you WILL accidentally jump it higher and farther then you wanted. Fun if youíre a basher and can afford it. Youíre wife will then be ****ed at the money you spend fixing it
    Sport mode on 4S is cheaper and safer on your budget. And your marriage. And once again - more realistic
    And about your long post - I donít mind

Besides Iím kinda of hesitant about thrashing this Zegers RC Graffixx custom painted body. Iím using the orange Methods on this one

RC Qualifier
    I like to watch videos of the X Maxx, but I'll never own one. It's just not my style. I prefer realistic looks and realistic performance, and the monster bashers just don't check either of those boxes for me.

The UDR checks both big time. I've bought and sold probably 40 different RC models, and I usually get bored with them because they either look realistic or drive realistically, but not both. The UDR does both really well. Plus, my favorite class of vehicle is the trophy truck. Those things are a work of art, beauty in motion combined with power.

Combine all of that with the reliability, parts availability and model stability of Traxxas and I have in the UDR an RC model that I never plan on selling. I'll sell one of my full-size trucks before I sell my UDR.

And I don't think Traxxas will be releasing a "2.0" for the UDR. Traxxas doesn't generally compete with other brands the way some of the Horizon brands do. It took 15+ years for a Revo / Rustler 2.0 to be released. With the popularity of the UDR, I think it has become Traxxas' new Slash and I don't see it being significantly updated anytime soon.

The only knock on the UDR is that the aftermarket has been sort of slow to adapt to the new size of vehicle. Bodies, wheels and tires don't have many options yet. But 5-10 years from now that will probably be very different and I'll still have my UDR to take advantage of that.

My wife also gave me the OK on this model, which is odd. But I'm glad she did. I love it, my kids love it, my friends love it. I've driven mine for about 50-60 battery packs on 4S, and only had one failure. A tire bead came unglued. Easy fix.

If you can get your hands on a UDR, I don't imagine you'll regret it anytime soon.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    I like to watch videos of the X Maxx, but I'll never own one. It's just not my style. I prefer realistic looks and realistic performance, and the monster bashers just don't check either of those boxes for me.

The UDR checks both big time. I've bought and sold probably 40 different RC models, and I usually get bored with them because they either look realistic or drive realistically, but not both. The UDR does both really well. Plus, my favorite class of vehicle is the trophy truck. Those things are a work of art, beauty in motion combined with power.

Combine all of that with the reliability, parts availability and model stability of Traxxas and I have in the UDR an RC model that I never plan on selling. I'll sell one of my full-size trucks before I sell my UDR.

And I don't think Traxxas will be releasing a "2.0" for the UDR. Traxxas doesn't generally compete with other brands the way some of the Horizon brands do. It took 15+ years for a Revo / Rustler 2.0 to be released. With the popularity of the UDR, I think it has become Traxxas' new Slash and I don't see it being significantly updated anytime soon.

The only knock on the UDR is that the aftermarket has been sort of slow to adapt to the new size of vehicle. Bodies, wheels and tires don't have many options yet. But 5-10 years from now that will probably be very different and I'll still have my UDR to take advantage of that.

My wife also gave me the OK on this model, which is odd. But I'm glad she did. I love it, my kids love it, my friends love it. I've driven mine for about 50-60 battery packs on 4S, and only had one failure. A tire bead came unglued. Easy fix.

If you can get your hands on a UDR, I don't imagine you'll regret it anytime soon.
    I found my doppelgšnger. I too am a desert racing fan. Old enough to be a fan of the men who started the evolution of the trophy truck - Cal Wells and Ivan ďIronmanĒ Stewart and the Team PPI/TRD Truck

I have noticed that UDR owners don't have buyer's remorse. Heck, I've read several posts in the facebook forum for the Losi SBR 2.0 saying they prefer the UDR over it still! Everyone seems to be consistent that the UDR looks the most scale and handles like it so I appreciate the feedback guys!

I saw a couple of videos recently and one was from Kevin Talbot (king of bashing-lol) and I can say it made me fall in love with this truck all over again b/c of the way he was driving it and drifting it but he pointed out (@ about 2:15 in the video) it's b/c the tires were more worn since they have too much bite when they're brand new, causing rollovers even more so. But hey, the Slash will do the same unless you drive it correctly but with broken in tires the UDR seems to handle like a dream machine...

https://youtu.be/3BU8BIIQ7RA?t=135

(in another video but can't remember it, Kevin Talbot says how much he loves the UDR-I know I heard him saying something like this and I'll have to find it but that impressed me since his favorite RC is the X-Maxx but he really enjoys driving the UDR too!)

Now this next video, had me saying "HOLY COW!!!" b/c this guy SENT his UDR and it LOOKED AWESOME and it was completely fine! My X-Maxx takes less abuse - lol! So it got me thinking...okay, it can handle some abuse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RptAmbeeK-g

I would love to have my X-Maxx & UDR, best of both worlds so I'm still in love with the UDR. I'm calling a place that might have the fox edition but have some other ideas to source one so we'll see...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dbestfromclovis View Post
    I found my doppelgšnger. I too am a desert racing fan. Old enough to be a fan of the men who started the evolution of the trophy truck - Cal Wells and Ivan ďIronmanĒ Stewart and the Team PPI/TRD Truck

Iím more of a Ford guy but I would love to have a truck in that livery. Yawzers.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Iím more of a Ford guy but I would love to have a truck in that livery. Yawzers.
    Iíd like to see Proline offer us a Tacoma, a Raptor, a Ram and a Silverado body

RC Qualifier
    Agreed. I'd love to make my UDR into the trophy truck that the Ram 1500 in my driveway will never be. I'd happily settle for a 1/7 scale version.

That Toyota truck is awesome btw and so is that painted UDR body you did dbest!

Also, the painted wheels on the UDR some of you did, AWESOME! I've been looking at the stuff you've detailed Fallen, wow!

As I'm still trying to figure out if I'm gonna get the UDR, another option that I've also been thinking about is maybe considering the Arrma Mojave EXB (which is a roller so I can put my own stuff in it, even Traxxas electrics to keep the Traxxas ecosystem and iLink app that I really like), so that's another thought but it that could cost more in the end as RTR's have everything at a cheaper price.

Then I saw yesterday that Arrma recently released an updated Mojave RTR V2 which has upgraded electrics with Spektrum stuff. BUT and this is big for me anyway, those bodies & color schemes on the RTR...they are just an eye sore imo and the RTR trucks do kinda look like a toy. The EXB roller looks good as well as the body but this body option only comes with the roller. I like the Mojave 6S b/c it reminds me of my old Traxxas Slash but bigger (which I want), can handle even more bashing and looks easy to work on as the platform reminds me of the Slash also. But it's apparently known to not being able to air it out on jumps according to this video...referring to not adjusting the truck in mid-air with the smaller wheels I guess. The ending of the video I think will surprise you as he brings up the UDR at the end!

At the end of the day, I think my heart is wanting the UDR for it's scale looks and this is important to me. The truck has to look great. I'm like this with all my RC's. I do want to be able to jump it and bash it a little and I think I can do this with the UDR (especially seeing that video in another post above of jumping the huge pile of rocks!).

RC Competitor
    I got mine a few months ago and I’ve had to spend an extra 800$ in upgrades because it seems to break just about every run but it hasn’t broken In about a month but now I have to replace the front cv axles. It is a super fun and cool truck to go over small jumps and take to the sand dunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikemort View Post
    I got mine a few months ago and Iíve had to spend an extra 800$ in upgrades because it seems to break just about every run but it hasnít broken In about a month but now I have to replace the front cv axles. It is a super fun and cool truck to go over small jumps and take to the sand dunes.

I do appreciate the honest feedback! I want to hear good and bad as every RC has something negative. I'm trying to see if the negatives of the UDR outweigh the positives.

So far, it seems to me that I feel like the consensus is this is a great truck, everyone loves the suspension but it also seems it has to be "babied" so that it doesn't get wrecked. Then again, I've seen videos of guys bashing on it like I would, maybe more than I would and the UDR seems to hold up fine.

Then again, I do remember how easy the Slash would tip over on streets making a simple turn and it seems the UDR is worse but I was able to get used to my Slash. I have to admit, even though I felt my Slash looked better, I wished it handled like my friend's ECX Torment. He could take any turn at nearly any speed and the truck would just lean into it, rarely if ever flipped over.

QUESTION:
    I know there is a "open diff" mod where the metal spool is removed and replaced with a front/center diff to help keep the UDR from flipping over so easily. Has anyone here done that? If so, do you feel it worked? Maybe on a scale of 1-10, how effective would you say this mod is?

Thanks again for the replies!