RC poster

Traxxas Stampede 4wd VXL with 1/8 monster truck wheels

would like to install some 1/8 monster truck wheels on my Stampede (about 150mm outer diameter & 75 tire width).
    it already have the 17mm hex adapters.
    will run it on 2S.

which pinion would you recommend I start with for these big wheels without overheating the system?
    using the stock VXL system.

Really low, even with 2S. When I ran 13/54 on 2S with 2.8 chevrons, mine would overheat about 10 minutes into a run in short grass. I run in grass almost all the time. So if your going from 2.8 sized wheels/tires to 3.8 sized, that's like adding 2 or 3 to the pinion. I know, I just did the same thing going from 2.8's to 3.8's.

I got some 3.8 light/low profile tires to put on mine, looked funny with 2.8's and the slash chassis. I'm running 3S now though and have 1/8th electronics in it with a 4074 2200kv motor and 150A esc. With 2.8 trenchers, I could run hard with 20/54. With the new tires, things get pretty warm with 18/54. So far it's ok, but it's not warm out. Should find out this weekend though as it's supposed to be around 75F here on Sunday and I intend on running it hard at a grass bmx. I ran it there a week ago with 17/54, but it was 50F out. It did really well, I really like the larger OD tires. Makes it roll through the grass easier and more ground clearance.

I don't run my trucks overly easy. Lots of WOT and decent jumps, so I try to set them up so they can make it through an entire pack without struggling due to heat.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC poster
    know what you mean.

now I am running the Proline Trenchers on 2S and 15 tooth pinion. way more power than I can handle. I am not running very aggresively, so no heat issues so far.

I think I'll try a 10 tooth with these large wheels, to start with.

These are the wheels/tires I'm using. They are a bit smaller than 3.8 chevrons, noticeably smaller/lighter than talon ext's:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G4T96VT

For comparison next to 2.8 trenchers and the other two I mentioned:

So far, I really like them. They aren't overly stiff, similar to the trencher compound. Will see how they do long term.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Qualifier

Traxxas Stampede 4wd VXL with 1/8 monster truck wheels

I am running the exact same setup with a 36/60 2500KV motor.

2S with this setup, I donít see any way to run it fast enough to be fun without heat issues.

Current is your problem. Current causes heat. Voltage does not create heat.

I run 3S at the lowest gearing possible. I also turned down all the punch and timing settings in the ESC. I am going to replace The VXL diff gears with the XL5 gears this winter to hopefully lower the gearing even more.

If I am gentle on the throttle itís is an absolute blast to drive.

It is a basher only. Speed runs are a little scary. The gyroscopic forces make it do weird things.

Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    excellent information. thanks.

ordering a set of tires and will play with the pinion gear a bit.

speed runs are not what I am after. so gearing way down with these large wheels is what I'm aiming for.