RC Racer

Gens Ace 6750 Hardcase in X-Maxx?

Hi guys

My wife has asked what I want for Christmas, which I normally reply something like, "Errrr, socks?" So this year I thought I might ask for another set of batteries.

I've seen a few vids of people saying they are running these Gens Ace batteries in the X-Maxx. Thing is, they are too big...

X-Maxx Battery Tray:
    197mm L x 51.5mm W x 44mm H

Battery Size:
    138mm 49mm 46mm

Here's a link to the batteries Linky

Because they are available from a UK supplier, I'd prefer to go that way.
    Thing is, I'm guessing they fit without too much work, but wondered if anyone had any experience of them in their truck?

Cheers for the help.

I don't know why, but a lot of..."let's call them "la-dee-da" batteries, because the moderators don't want us to mention their name here"...batteries have some goofy dimensions. If you want to free yourself from having to use Traxxas (or batteries with exact Traxxas dimension's) you need to dump your stock battery holders to something like this.

Yepper, you want straps. I did a post on how to do this, another guy made a ReglarGuy inspired video on how to do this, and you can also buy a Battery Strap Kit that will let you do this (as opposed to you making your own like many of us have). However you do it, battery straps will let you (pretty much) use whatever size/shape battery you want.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-07-2020 at 07:48 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Champion
    Had lipo babies with just the above setup
    Got 5ft of Velcro off eBay- gooped strips
    on the inside the battery trays ,crossing the lipo
    Can pick up the Xmaxx with just
    1 piece of the Velcro after the goop hardens
    No More Lipo Babies
    fabricator

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I don't know why, but a lot of..."let's call them "la-dee-da" batteries, because Traxxas doesn't want us to mention their name here"...batteries have some goofy dimensions.
    Clarification made. We moderators are doing our job by enforcing the rule.

Carry on with the discussion at hand.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca 3 View Post
    Hi guys

My wife has asked what I want for Christmas, which I normally reply something like, "Errrr, socks?" So this year I thought I might ask for another set of batteries.

I've seen a few vids of people saying they are running these Gens Ace batteries in the X-Maxx. Thing is, they are too big...

X-Maxx Battery Tray:
    197mm L x 51.5mm W x 44mm H

Battery Size:
    138mm 49mm 46mm

Here's a link to the batteries Linky

Because they are available from a UK supplier, I'd prefer to go that way.
    Thing is, I'm guessing they fit without too much work, but wondered if anyone had any experience of them in their truck?

Cheers for the help.
    It looks very good, Gens Ace are a reliable brand. I run with a GAONENG 6500mAh 110C plus batteries and fits perfectly in X-MAXX trays, 48mm in height, but it fits, a little tight, but fits, the Gens Ace fits in yours, sure.

RC Champion
    I don't know why, but a lot of..."let's call them "la-dee-da" batteries, because the moderators don't want us to mention their name here"...batteries have some goofy dimensions. If you want to free yourself from having to use Traxxas (or batteries with exact Traxxas dimension's) you need to dump your stock battery holders to something like this.

Yepper, you want straps. I did a post on how to do this, another guy made a ReglarGuy inspired video on how to do this, and you can also buy a Battery Strap Kit that will let you do this (as opposed to you making your own like many of us have). However you do it, battery straps will let you (pretty much) use whatever size/shape battery you want.
    The ReglarGuy Strap Mod for batteries, excellent.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    It looks very good, Gens Ace are a reliable brand. I run with a GAONENG 6500mAh 110C plus batteries and fits perfectly in X-MAXX trays, 48mm in height, but it fits, a little tight, but fits, the Gens Ace fits in yours, sure.
    Perfect. Just what I wanted to hear. Thank you.
    I can see the wires may need a little "tweaking" to out the end, but that's no effort.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca 3 View Post
    Perfect. Just what I wanted to hear. Thank you.
    I can see the wires may need a little "tweaking" to out the end, but that's no effort.
    You're welcome.

RC Racer
    Thanks for all the other replies everyone.
    I'm not looking to modify the X-Maxx too much just yet, it's still only a week old or so. I'd like to run it mostly stock for a while, so that's why I'd like the batteries to fit the standard clamps.

That said, I've only run it twice now & both times this has happened on just one side...

After my first outing, I decided I didn't like the idea a soft case lipo jumping out & getting trashed by a something the size of an X-Maxx, so I came up with a quick fix using old dog collar.

The collar routes over the receiver box cable clamp, under the frame, around each battery clamp, then back over the top of everything to the middle and clipped together.
    By strapping the battery clamps together, they can't pop outwards & open. Open the clip on the collar, the clamps open as normal & the strap lifts up out the way without removing it completely.

Only had one run like this to try it, but a clamp came open on one end, but was held in place still by the strap. Hopefully it's stop a battery coming out. The foam to space the battery is probably a bit thick, I suspect that isn't helping the issue.

I don't know why, but a lot of..."let's call them "la-dee-da" batteries, because the moderators don't want us to mention their name here"...batteries have some goofy dimensions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Clarification made. We moderators are doing our job by enforcing the rule.

Carry on with the discussion at hand.
    Okay, what gives? For years (ever since I've been a forum member) the mere thought of mentioning the words "Gens Ace" would (at the very least) land a guy a 5 to 10 year stretch at San Quentin breaking big rocks into little rocks. Now, it's okay? Now, it's a group hug for everybody? Something's up! Something's mighty fishy! This ain't some diabolical plot by "The Man" to get a list of all of us Gens Ace sympathizes is it? The last thing I need is to be snatched, late at night, by a bunch of CIA guys and taken to a secret location in Czechoslovakia. What changed?
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-08-2020 at 06:18 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Champion
    Okay, what gives? For years (ever since I've been a forum member) the mere thought of mentioning the words "Gens Ace" would (at the very least) land a guy a 5 to 10 year stretch at San Quentin breaking big rocks into little rocks. Now, it's okay? Now, it's a group hug for everybody? Something's up! Something's mighty fishy! This ain't some diabolical plot by "The Man" to get a list of all of us Gens Ace sympathizes is it? The last thing I need is to be snatched, late at night, by a bunch of CIA guys and taken to a secret location in Czechoslovakia. What changed?