RC Enthusiast

Pinion and spur gear?

I bought a traxxas slash 4x4 #68054. Had the brushed motor. Iíve not upgraded to the brushless. I went with hobbywing max10sct esc and ezrun 3660 g2 3200KV motor. Currently running 32P 18T 5mm pinion with the stock 54 spur gear. I run 3s lipo 50c Was running in tall wet grass this morning killed the battery in 20mins motor felt really hot. Iím off-road grass,dirt,sand,gravel. Just wanted to see what everyone else had thereís geared at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JTin View Post
    I bought a traxxas slash 4x4 #68054. Had the brushed motor. Iíve not upgraded to the brushless. I went with hobbywing max10sct esc and ezrun 3660 g2 3200KV motor. Currently running 32P 18T 5mm pinion with the stock 54 spur gear. I run 3s lipo 50c Was running in tall wet grass this morning killed the battery in 20mins motor felt really hot. Iím off-road grass,dirt,sand,gravel. Just wanted to see what everyone else had thereís geared at?

Id be careful in tall grass. It puts so much strain on the motor and esc. It might not have killed your battery, it might have been your esc going into protection mode. Instead of using an 18t gear, try a 15t and see if that helps with heat. It wont be nearly as fast but itll still be a bunch of fun. Without all the heat hopefully.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Coolers help a lot. I've heared great things about the HW cooler for 36mm diameter motors. Don't get the Integy ones. They're low quality: mine fell apart after less than half a year
    Last edited by The Bean; 11-07-2020 at 11:09 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    Coolers help a lot. I've heared great things about the HW cooler for 36mm diameter motors
    Agreed. A motor fan is crucial in a 4 X4. I agree with Caleb on the 15t pinion. Buy yourself an inexpensive infrared thermometer. Harbor Freight has one cheap that is the size of a key fob for your car. Fits in your pocket. I've had my for 5 years and it works great

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

I got the bigger infrared thermometer from harbor freight cause they didnt have the small one.. It has an emissivity setting that i don't quite get how to use....

But about the integy fans, they die pretty quick. I think they're just too light duty for what we use them for. Any bit of dust and they seize up and burn out. I had one for about 2 bashing sessions and it died. Ive heard very good things about yeahracing's fans.

RC Enthusiast
    I had a 16T I was able to put in and was switching out the plastic camber links for the aluminum traxxas ones I noticed both front drive shafts broke. This could have caused my overheating. Local hobby shop had the upgraded parts front and rear. No 5mm bore pinion gear might have to just order online. Iíll look into getting cooler and fans if anyone knows where I can find in stock that be great!

RC Champion
    Get the drive shafts that come on the Hoss or the rustler 4 x 4. They're much thicker.

So if this happened once. Its gonna continue to happen. So now you gotta consider when you should buy metal shafts. I went through about 4 or 5 pairs of shafts after installing my mx28 hps on my slash. I resorted to steel output yokes, and the steel stub axles. And loosening my slipper a bit from factory specs. At this point i have more into my plastic driveshafts than if i would've just bought steel heavy duty ones.

RC Enthusiast

Pinion and spur gear?

My local hobby shop didnít have the ones for the hoss (#9051X front) (#9052X rear). I did however get the upgrade steel spline #6851R front and #6852 rear. Anything I break on my slash I always get the upgraded part. I wanna be able to keep bashing hope nothing else breaks now for a while.

Last edited by JTin; 11-07-2020 at 05:07 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I replaced my shafts with Integy ones. Those were my 2nd integy products that fel apart after a few months. Wasted €40, while I could’ve spent the extra for MIP’s immediately.

From what I’ve heared, integy should be avoided. Their parts are ‘for show’, not for function.

RC Champion
    My local hobby shop didnít have the ones for the hoss (#9051X front) (#9052X rear). I did however get the upgrade steel spline #6851R front and #6852 rear. Anything I break on my slash I always get the upgraded part. I wanna be able to keep bashing hope nothing else breaks now for a while.

The steel spline shafts are great! I have them on my Max D monster truck and they've held up to some serious punishment.

As mentioned in one of your other threads, remember that the Slash 4x4 (brushed) has different diff gears than the Slash 4x4 VXL (brushless).

Brushed diff is 12/47 (3.91 gear ratio).
    Brushless diff is 13/37 (2.85 gear ratio).

You donít need to change them, but just thought Iíd point it out again if you are comparing gears with other membersí rigs.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    My model stock is 54/11. gear ration of 19.23 not sure where you got your numbers here is a photo right from my book.

There are more gear ratios in your rig than just the pinion & spur gear. The differential has a gear ratio and the size of your wheels are another gear ratio.
    Last edited by zedorda; 11-07-2020 at 07:27 PM.

My model stock is 54/11. gear ration of 19.23 not sure where you got your numbers here is a photo right from my book.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    There are more gear ratios in your rig than just the pinion & spur gear. The differential has a gear ratio and the size of your wheels are another gear ratio.
    Yup. The gears I mentioned are the ring and pinion gears in the diff. Just wanted to make sure the OP knows that there is a difference between the brushed and brushless diffs in case he compares the speed between two rigs with the same spur and pinion gears and can’t figure out why one was faster then the other.

RC Enthusiast
    I apologize still learning. Speed isnít what Iím after. I want the truck to run well off-road not have heat problems. Just wanted to hear what other spur/pinion combo people where running in there slash.

No reason to apologize it is real common for people to miss/forget that the diff has a ratio other than 1:1.

Do they sell different tooth count gears for the trans? I might look into that.

JTin: As Zedorda said, there is no need to appologize. I didn’t mean to imply that you were after speed. Just wanted you to br able compare apples to apples, not oranges.

Calebs0615: Slash 4x4’s don’t have a tramsmission. The diff gears that I know of are the ones mentioned, 12/47 and 13/34. There very well may be more out there that fit, but I don’t know of them. Hopefully someone that does can educate all of us.