RC Competitor

Robinson racing 56t spur slipper kit

Is anyone using this? Wondering how you like it. Thinking 56t spur with a 32p. Thanks!

I used or in my Rustler 4x4 for quite a while, and never had any problems. The only reason I'm no longer using it is because I replaced it with the center differential (TRA6780). It was fantastic. One thing I'll point out is, if you go this route, make sure you also replace the pinion with a heartbeat l hardened steel pinion, to match the hardened steel of the RR Slipper Unit.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

I have had a few buddies that used the RR spur. None ever had problems with it other than it is louder. 2 of them suffered broken motor shafts after horrendous crashes. They believed the spur was part of the reason but I think the crash did it and the spur didn't cause the crash.

I personally have never seen or heard of a good reason that would require the use of the RR spur.

RC Competitor
    You've never seen or heard a good reason to use one? Well they're indestructible as you stated and it's a good match with 32 pinion which doesn't make it run hot. Only downside i see is not being able to choose different spurs for different gearing. I also like the slipper clutch system. Just tossing it around i guess. And in regards to your buddies axles, I'm not sure how a spur gear would have anything to do with broken axles involved in a crash. Wouldn't the crash or, horrendous, crash be the cause?

RC Champion
    I use it on my Wraith. Slipper pad is THICK. I love it.
    No problems at all.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Michiganmisfit7 View Post
    You've never seen or heard a good reason to use one? Well they're indestructible as you stated and it's a good match with 32 pinion which doesn't make it run hot. Only downside i see is not being able to choose different spurs for different gearing. I also like the slipper clutch system. Just tossing it around i guess. And in regards to your buddies axles, I'm not sure how a spur gear would have anything to do with broken axles involved in a crash. Wouldn't the crash or, horrendous, crash be the cause?
    It is the same as putting a penny behind a blown fuse. The spur gear is a planned failure point not intended to be indestructible. The spur gear is also the best evidence to lead you to the problem that caused the spur gear to fail when it does. But it is your rig and you can remove all the proper engineering you want. I am just trying to offer information from my over 40 years now in the hobby.

I never said anything about anyone's axles. You know that metal thing your pinion gear is attached to? It is the shaft that goes into the motor. And oddly enough the pinion gear touches the spur gear.

EDIT: There is a use for the RR spur but the reality is the ones that need it have builds so extreme any failure point has to be removed. And would never need to ask how anyone liked it.
    Last edited by zedorda; 11-08-2020 at 06:16 PM. Reason: typos

RC Competitor
    Gotcha. I apologize if my reply sounded condescending, I'm just getting to determine if it's worth goin that route. Seems to me if you do go that you won't have hr advantage of just taking a spur/pinion off and changing the gearing on the fly. Seems to me you're married to a 56 32 gearing all the time which for me, takes the fun out of trying different things. Thanks so much for all gr info ya'll give me, wouldn't know what to do without ya!

RC Racer
    I run the jato spurgear (54t) and a 17t pinion. 32p gears are much nicer in my opinion and the only drawback to this setup as far as i can tell is the gear cover doesn't fit you need to space it out a bit. Works with the stock slipper and everything.

RC Competitor
    Does the 54 17 setup run hot? I was thinking more 56 32. But as far as speed is concerned that won't run as fast I assume.

RC Racer
    I doubt a 32 tooth pinion would fit if that's what you meant. 54/17 is fine heat wise on 2s. But I'm using a castle 3800kv motor not the stock one.

RC Racer
    The higher tooth pinion = more top speed

The higher tooth spur = lower top speed

RC Competitor
    I'm using a spektrum 4000kv. The 54 slipper is actually made up run a 32 pinion I've seen on their website. Is there a particular gearing you like to run?

Quote Originally Posted by MysterE View Post
    The higher tooth pinion = more top speed

The higher tooth spur = lower top speed
    Don't forget that "higher speed" also equates to "lower torque". With higher tooth count on the pinion and/or lower tooth count on the spur, top speed increases, you get a faster top speed...but, conversely, with a lower tooth count on the pinion and/or higher tooth count on the spur, while top speed decreases, torque increases.

There's a "fine balance" between the two, and you have to be careful in selecting both if your goal is to increase speed, while also maintaining torque. That's where selecting the proper kV (or 'turn') on a motor comes into play, as well as what 'S' battery to run. If you're not "limited" in the voltage (say, 2S vs 3S, 3S vs 4S, etc), then it might be best to follow JRH's saying of, "Volt up, and gear down."

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better