RC Qualifier

Badlands pros and cons

Ive been running Badlands for the last month and while i've read a few threads on them, they seem pretty old so i thought i'd give my opinions of these tires compared to the stockers if anyone was interested. If there are any other badlands users who can confirm or deny any of my experiences with them, id love to hear.

Pros
    1. Wear. After a dozen runs on hard pavement, dirt and rocks, the tires look brand new with zero evidence of any wear or tear. Within 2 runs of using the stock tires, the stock ones looked incredibly beat up, like they were worn down with say 1/3 of the tread gone and side wall tread starting to shred.
    2. No ballooning. I have to say i did notice how different and well it controls at high speed when compared to the stock tires with high gearing. The stock tires will cause the truck to wobble back and forth, even with tsm, much less so with badlands
    3. Waterproof. I drive through a ton of deep puddles and mud and have seen no evidence of water getting into these tires and wrecking the foams. tires still appear balanced. Cant say that for the stockers, that even while vented, 3 of my 4 foams got torn up and destroyed after a single run in the same muddy puddles.

Cons
    1. No more wheelies. i guess the weight of the tires combine with the less flexible, much more firm hard rubber that cant dig into the pavement, makes the car no longer wheelie with full throttle.
    2. Less top speed. Very noticeable for me the first time i used them. I assume because there is no expansion combined with the smaller diameter in general of the tires, causes a decrease in top speed compared to the stockers
    3. Heavy. I noticed the truck got less air off jumps, i broke 2 a-arms on bad crash landings, and do notice a decrease in run time due to how much heavier the tires are compared to stock.
    4. They are harder to control on pavement. because of the hard compound, i was doing alot more spin outs on throttle, spin outs when turnring at high speed when compared to stock. Again, the stock rubber is alot more soft and grippy, so you will notice they dig into the road way bettter than the badlands that just 'hover' on the pavement if you know what i mean

I have yet to get badlands for my xmaxx but have them on my eRevo. And enjoy them more more bite on grass and dirt.

For your wheelie comment. Replace front and rear diff fluid with 500k wt. But you get wheelies back. As you may just be loosing fluid now or not enough...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    Ive been running Badlands for the last month and while i've read a few threads on them, they seem pretty old so i thought i'd give my opinions of these tires compared to the stockers if anyone was interested. If there are any other badlands users who can confirm or deny any of my experiences with them, id love to hear.

Pros
    1. Wear. After a dozen runs on hard pavement, dirt and rocks, the tires look brand new with zero evidence of any wear or tear. Within 2 runs of using the stock tires, the stock ones looked incredibly beat up, like they were worn down with say 1/3 of the tread gone and side wall tread starting to shred.
    2. No ballooning. I have to say i did notice how different and well it controls at high speed when compared to the stock tires with high gearing. The stock tires will cause the truck to wobble back and forth, even with tsm, much less so with badlands
    3. Waterproof. I drive through a ton of deep puddles and mud and have seen no evidence of water getting into these tires and wrecking the foams. tires still appear balanced. Cant say that for the stockers, that even while vented, 3 of my 4 foams got torn up and destroyed after a single run in the same muddy puddles.

Cons
    1. No more wheelies. i guess the weight of the tires combine with the less flexible, much more firm hard rubber that cant dig into the pavement, makes the car no longer wheelie with full throttle.
    2. Less top speed. Very noticeable for me the first time i used them. I assume because there is no expansion combined with the smaller diameter in general of the tires, causes a decrease in top speed compared to the stockers
    3. Heavy. I noticed the truck got less air off jumps, i broke 2 a-arms on bad crash landings, and do notice a decrease in run time due to how much heavier the tires are compared to stock.
    4. They are harder to control on pavement. because of the hard compound, i was doing alot more spin outs on throttle, spin outs when turnring at high speed when compared to stock. Again, the stock rubber is alot more soft and grippy, so you will notice they dig into the road way bettter than the badlands that just 'hover' on the pavement if you know what i mean
    Good review, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post

Pros

Cons
    I have been running them for a couple of months myself on the stock Velineon 1200XL motor. Your Pros and Cons have hit the nail right square on the head if using a stock motor. Most of the guys that started using the Badlands had already upgraded their can to a serious torque monster and had no choice but to get a tire that was literally bolted to the wheel and may have a slightly different take on their overall performance as far as your Pros and Cons list.

I see no feasible way with a stock motor of ever making these tires break a bead (literally!) and I am starting to seriously consider removing my center and rear HR lockers to get a different take on how the Badlands perform without lockers.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 11-09-2020 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Updated.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

RC Competitor
    most of my running is in sand or mud/dirt so they work awesome. i bought some little studs similar in size on what you would find on a snow tire and screwed them in every other lug. still got amazing control even on the hard packed dirt in my driveway

RC Competitor
    I agree with all, except that they are not waterproof. At least mine are not. Water comes in through the screws on the inner ring. I did not notice this until I took them apart, and found that the foams were soaked. I could actually wring them out. They were fine though, just needed to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    I have yet to get badlands for my xmaxx but have them on my eRevo. And enjoy them more more bite on grass and dirt.

For your wheelie comment. Replace front and rear diff fluid with 500k wt. But you get wheelies back. As you may just be loosing fluid now or not enough...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Same, with the stock set up my E-revo will throw it's self over on 6s in grass. I have only had my Badlands for a month but so far there seems to be little wear. I have a new transmission on the way and I am going ATVing Thanksgiving break so I guess we will see how they perform on loose dirt!
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by MyBall View Post
    I agree with all, except that they are not waterproof. At least mine are not. Water comes in through the screws on the inner ring. I did not notice this until I took them apart, and found that the foams were soaked. I could actually wring them out. They were fine though, just needed to dry.
    I bought these little o-rings that fit perfectly in the cap screw recess yet do not squeeze over the head of the cap screws for the wheel rings and you actually have to roll them onto the Badland screws shaft. They fit just right and not too tight.

They actually appear larger in my photo; but they are only maybe a 2mm inner diameter if that; you just have to watch carefully what size you purchase.

They are actually used for darts to stop the vibration from hammer-heads to the flight shaft so it doesn't unscrew the flight shaft from the actual weighted hammer-head.

I put those o-rings under each screw and submerged the tire and then checked for water seepage and found none.

They sell the little o-rings in packs of fifty or a hundred for less than $2.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 11-13-2020 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Updated.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I bought these little o-rings that fit perfectly in the cap screw recess yet do not squeeze over the head of the cap screws for the wheel rings and you actually have to roll them onto the Badland screws shaft. They fit just right and not too tight.

They actually appear larger in my photo; but they are only maybe a 2mm inner diameter if that; you just have to watch carefully what size you purchase.

They are actually used for darts to stop the vibration from hammer-heads to the flight shaft so it doesn't unscrew the flight shaft from the actual weighted hammer-head.

I put those o-rings under each screw and submerged the tire and then checked for water seepage and found none.

They sell the little o-rings in packs of fifty or a hundred for less than $2.
    what do you have for an OD in the O-rings

Quote Originally Posted by 95blackz26 View Post
    what do you have for an OD in the O-rings
    Here you go, it is about 5mm

The O-ring is slightly off the zero mark but you get the idea.

The hex screw is 2.5mm bit size but the actual head of the screw is just a smidgen over 5mm:

Besides, it is the inner diameter that is more important that I was pointing out earlier because it fits just right on the screw and the o-ring slides down in the Badlands bead rings hex screw recesses and forms the water-tight seal:

Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 11-14-2020 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Updated.

RC Competitor
    cool thanks. i just bought enough stainless bolts to do all 4 wheels. now the debate i'm having is to wait and buy o-rings or just put the bolts in. can always do the o-rings during the winter. running this thing in the snow/mud makes a mess inside when it melts.

EDIT
    apparently just searching 2ba o-ring nets the same results. googled dart o-ring and it kept popping up as 2ba
    Last edited by 95blackz26; 11-17-2020 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 95blackz26 View Post
    cool thanks. i just bought enough stainless bolts to do all 4 wheels. now the debate i'm having is to wait and buy o-rings or just put the bolts in. can always do the o-rings during the winter. running this thing in the snow/mud makes a mess inside when it melts.

EDIT
    apparently just searching 2ba o-ring nets the same results. googled dart o-ring and it kept popping up as 2ba
    Did you need a link?

RC poster
    I've had the same results as with the badlands as you have. I like them as I don't do much pavement driving or big jumps and only do wheelies to show off in front of people that aren't used to higher end RC's. I love how they perform in dirt, grass and gravel. I got them because the foam in my stock tires had gotten lumpy with several soft spots in the wheel. I'll probably remove the wheelie bar because it hangs up on things sometimes and put it back on if I get a more powerful motor.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Did you need a link?
    i'm good thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markgullett View Post
    I've had the same results as with the badlands as you have. I like them as I don't do much pavement driving or big jumps and only do wheelies to show off in front of people that aren't used to higher end RC's. I love how they perform in dirt, grass and gravel. I got them because the foam in my stock tires had gotten lumpy with several soft spots in the wheel. I'll probably remove the wheelie bar because it hangs up on things sometimes and put it back on if I get a more powerful motor.
    i went with the tbone racing wheelie bar and did the skateboard wheel mod on it. the stock one was laughable.