Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Any thoughts on a 1/5 summit???

So we have the revo 2.0, Come on Traxxas lets see the summit 2.0 but in 1/5 size!! It would be yuge!

Quote Originally Posted by groundpounder2975 View Post
    So we have the revo 2.0, Come on Traxxas lets see the summit 2.0 but in 1/5 size!! It would be yuge!
    It would cool to see a revamp of the Summit, I would say that it is already 1/5 scale so size wouldn't be a point of change but the the drive train (including transmission) could use a 2.0 upgrade. I don't know if that is something Traxxas would look into doing though, they wouldn't make enough money from it. People like fast.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Racer
    I like the current size of the summit. Don't know why everyone is hoping for A xmaxx sized summit. I would like to just see drive terrain updates like they did for the 2.0 erevo

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

I would be happy with upgraded differentials that where Erevo 2.0 size. That's the only part that can't handle anything more than 4s reliably. The summit still is a fun truck to drive no matter where.

If they made a 1/5 scale it would be huge. Maybe something around 1/7 scale. Inbetween the Xmaxx and Erevo would be perfect. Still a monster but easier to transport,LoL.

RC Qualifier
    I have a couple Summits that are 1/6 size and they are a pain to even walk thru door ways and transport. I would like to see bigger diffs , stub axles and transmission shafts .
    OVERKILL,10Sum,16Sum,Xo1,MMSlas,44Stamp,Rus,16Ral

RC Enthusiast
    Did you convert them to 1/6? If so show some pics...Back in the day the summit was king if you ask me, I would love to see that again with just the size of it being 1/5. But they would have to double the size of the current 1/10. I am hoping so, this could be the reason they havn't come out with it yet! Hoping!

RC Qualifier
    Yes they were originally 1/10 Summits. I stretched the chassis’s to fit New Bright 1/6 bodies. Pics are in the build threads Huge Traxxas Summit OVERKILL and my latest build Crawler Summit.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    If they made a 1/5 scale it would be huge. Maybe something around 1/7 scale. Inbetween the Xmaxx and Erevo would be perfect. Still a monster but easier to transport,LoL.
    But if it's a "1/7" would it actually be a 1/6 or 1/5 anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by LesDMess View Post
    But if it's a "1/7" would it actually be a 1/6 or 1/5 anyway?
    I'm lost at what it would be called. Traxxas calls the Erevo a 1/10 but I think it's more 1/8 scale. They also call the new Maxx a 1/10 scale but it's smaller than the Revo's. Your guess would be as good as mine.

I don't really want it wider, just a tad longer to fit a bigger motor and taller/longer batteries without getting creative.

RC Enthusiast
    Well, you start out with what the original summit is. A 1/10 of what a 1/1 would be. So I am assuming that the 1/1 summit would be just a very large vehicle, larger than lets say a 1/1 maxx. Taking that into consideration the 1/5 scale summit would be gigantic! It cannot be compared to other "normal" sized vehicles. It will need to be brushed as well, but maybe dual brushed 775's or even larger. Equip it with a working winch, 360 spotlights, trailer hitch, dig function for rear diff. Basically the ultimate large trail rig. I would for sure get one!

RC Enthusiast
    Very nice work man! I've had the summit since it first came out. It's still one of my favorites, even compared to the xmaxx and maxx that I have. Jack of all trades is what I call it.

Well, you start out with what the original summit is. A 1/10 of what a 1/1 would be. So I am assuming that the 1/1 summit would be just a very large vehicle, larger than lets say a 1/1 maxx. Taking that into consideration the 1/5 scale summit would be gigantic! It cannot be compared to other "normal" sized vehicles. It will need to be brushed as well, but maybe dual brushed 775's or even larger. Equip it with a working winch, 360 spotlights, trailer hitch, dig function for rear diff. Basically the ultimate large trail rig. I would for sure get one!
    I would definitely want one too, I mean with everything you just mentioned the new Summit would have more features than a full sized 4-wheeler. Sadly I doubt that Traxxxas would ever do anything like that because not nearly enough people would buy it, I mean, it would probably cost like 2 grand.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    I would definitely want one too, I mean with everything you just mentioned the new Summit would have more features than a full sized 4-wheeler. Sadly I doubt that Traxxxas would ever do anything like that because not nearly enough people would buy it, I mean, it would probably cost like 2 grand.

It wouldn't be cheap, no doubt..lol
    They could make the added features an add on to purchase. We all end up spending that much anyways in this hobby. If there is any RC company that would do an extreme RC like this it would be Traxxas.

It wouldn't be cheap, no doubt..lol
    They could make the added features an add on to purchase. We all end up spending that much anyways in this hobby. If there is any RC company that would do an extreme RC like this it would be Traxxas.
    I agree, Traxxas likes to go above and beyond with some of their products. And who knows maybe one of the Traxxas admins will see this and pass it on to the product development team, but I highly doubt it. The only way they could really make money off of this is if they 1, overcharged to compensate for the low sales or 2, really hit it out of the park with advertising. I mean there are a lot of people out there that have no knowledge of the hobby but have a lot of money, these type of people make Traxxas and hobby stores alike a lot of money. Those are most likely the people that the "Summit MAXX" would have to be advertised to if Traxxas wanted to make money, obviously any RC enthusiast would know about it as soon as it comes out because it would be the biggest and coolest RC ever!

RC Enthusiast
    I agree, Traxxas likes to go above and beyond with some of their products. And who knows maybe one of the Traxxas admins will see this and pass it on to the product development team, but I highly doubt it. The only way they could really make money off of this is if they 1, overcharged to compensate for the low sales or 2, really hit it out of the park with advertising. I mean there are a lot of people out there that have no knowledge of the hobby but have a lot of money, these type of people make Traxxas and hobby stores alike a lot of money. Those are most likely the people that the "Summit MAXX" would have to be advertised to if Traxxas wanted to make money, obviously any RC enthusiast would know about it as soon as it comes out because it would be the biggest and coolest RC ever!
    Summit Maxx is awesome man! What a come back that would be! Oh yeah, Traxxas for sure is the over and beyond company to do just this. Have a few body choices as well with the exo cage. Rubicon, Bronco, or truck bodies with different color schemes. A factory 8s Summit Maxx, I'm all in!

Summit Maxx is awesome man! What a come back that would be! Oh yeah, Traxxas for sure is the over and beyond company to do just this. Have a few body choices as well with the exo cage. Rubicon, Bronco, or truck bodies with different color schemes. A factory 8s Summit Maxx, I'm all in!
    I could imagine it having an all steel drivetrain, and since we're going all out, 2 VXL6 brushless systems for a total of 12s!

RC Enthusiast
    I could imagine it having an all steel drivetrain, and since we're going all out, 2 VXL6 brushless systems for a total of 12s!
    I'm not that big on the summit being brushless, but it would have to be sensored then.

I'm not that big on the summit being brushless, but it would have to be sensored then.
    If It had a two speed transmission like the current summit then you could have really low gearing for crawling and decently high gearing for bashing. The current VXL6 system is pretty good at starting off at low speeds, and that is on higher gearing. I don't imagine that there would be a problem with lower gearing.

If It had a two speed transmission like the current summit then you could have really low gearing for crawling and decently high gearing for bashing. The current VXL6 system is pretty good at starting off at low speeds, and that is on higher gearing. I don't imagine that there would be a problem with lower gearing.
    I guess you have never used a sensored system. There is definitely a difference between a sensored and non-sensored setup.

RC Enthusiast
    I guess you have never used a sensored system. There is definitely a difference between a sensored and non-sensored setup.
    There are really some great improvements in brushless technology - sensored and unsensored, and difference in the crawling performance is not just dictated by it. This vid shows a great real world performance review - very detailed and long, which clearly shows that number of poles and ESC programming can also make significant differences.

Looking back in the Summit history, it's really something to see the many motor ESC variations that others have used. But I think today it sure looks like a good brushless ESC+motor combo will be hard to beat in terms of price and performance.

For how big a "Summit MAXX" would be the gearing on low (if it had a 2 speed) would have to be insanely low. I have driven a sensored system before and while yes, it has superior low speed performance, the price of it would be too much, especially due to the fact that we are talking about a dual motor set up. I also imagine that Traxxas would want to stick to a power system that they are already producing.

For how big a "Summit MAXX" would be the gearing on low (if it had a 2 speed) would have to be insanely low. I have driven a sensored system before and while yes, it has superior low speed performance, the price of it would be too much, especially due to the fact that we are talking about a dual motor set up. I also imagine that Traxxas would want to stick to a power system that they are already producing.
    First, this thread is about a what if, not about this is how it would be.
    Second, I never said anything about a dual motor setup.
    Third my statement stands "There is definitely a difference between a sensored and non-sensored setup."

First, this thread is about a what if, not about this is how it would be.
    Second, I never said anything about a dual motor setup.
    Third my statement stands "There is definitely a difference between a sensored and non-sensored setup."
    I didn't say there wasn't a difference, I was merely stating why a sensorless system (more specifically the VXL6 ESC and motor combo) would be most likely used over a sensored counterpart. Also, if you look at some of the previous posts by the starter of this thread then you will see that he is just as interested as I in fantasizing about such a vehicles composition and operation. I was just stating my opinion. I understand that a sensored system would be way better for an application such as this but I have been trying to keep my side of this thread more in terms of realism, what would be feasible in terms of production efficiency.

RC Qualifier
    I have to say sensorless has no place in a Summit yes it can be done . I have 2 sensored Summits and they are more for the skate park but hardly ever get driven. Probably use 1 or 2 895 motors 6mm longer and 8mm bigger diameter than a 775 motor.

Quote Originally Posted by malonefamily2003 View Post
    I have to say sensorless has no place in a Summit yes it can be done . I have 2 sensored Summits and they are more for the skate park but hardly ever get driven. Probably use 1 or 2 895 motors 6mm longer and 8mm bigger diameter than a 775 motor.
    I don't disagree with you that something with more precise control would be optimal for a "Summit MAXX" but we are talking about something that is bigger than an XMAXX, and if you want to market something like that then you need speed on your side. That's why there would be a high and low speed, you would have really low gearing for "crawling" and a higher gear for bashing. The reason I put crawling in parentheses is because you would just be powering through everything, not many people would take an RC the size of a small power wheels slow, and those who do would not be the "Summit MAXX's" target demographic.

RC Qualifier
    If you want something that big and fast it wouldn’t be smart to call it a Summit. That would be an XXMAXX with 2 speeds.A Summit is not meant to go 6s brushless fast yes I know it can cause I have one that ran 8s .

Quote Originally Posted by malonefamily2003 View Post
    If you want something that big and fast it wouldn’t be smart to call it a Summit. That would be an XXMAXX with 2 speeds.A Summit is not meant to go 6s brushless fast yes I know it can cause I have one that ran 8s .
    I could see them calling it a Summit because the Summit is known for being big, the Summit MAXX would just be a monster version of the Summit.

RC Enthusiast
    With a bigger Summit, the turning radius will get larger too. What do you think about adding rear wheel steering? Has Traxxas provided 4 wheel steering before?

How about scale details? Clear windows? Interior? Options for different quick release bodies?

How about full telemetry on the remote?
    Last edited by LesDMess; 11-13-2020 at 08:37 PM.

With a bigger Summit, the turning radius will get larger too. What do you think about adding rear wheel steering? Has Traxxas provided 4 wheel steering before?

How about scale details? Clear windows? Interior? Options for different quick release bodies?

I can picture all of that being a thing but not out of the box, it would be like the Traxx for the Trx-4, they are specifically designed to work with the stock vehicle but you have to buy them extra.

Anything is possible! If we dream it they could build it.

I can picture all of that being a thing but not out of the box, it would be like the Traxx for the Trx-4, they are specifically designed to work with the stock vehicle but you have to buy them extra.
    Because something might be extra for one vehicle doesn't mean it is for another.

TRX-4 Equipped with Traxx straight from the factory:traxxas.com/products/landing/trx4-traxx/

Because something might be extra for one vehicle doesn't mean it is for another.

TRX-4 Equipped with Traxx straight from the factory:traxxas.com/products/landing/trx4-traxx/
    Yeah, but the Trx-4 is something that yo can sell several variations of. Something of this scale, I think Traxxas would want to sell a pretty basic version of it with a few cool features but limited to the essentials. I mean you are talking about adding hundreds of dollars of electronics already. Just to add 1 more steering servo (which would have to be a huge servo mind you) and steering linkages it would be an additional 100 dollars. And then you also have to add the telemetry module and interior.

Traxxas could sell the most extreme loaded with accessories model for like 2,200 dollars but then all of the people that don't care about the detailed interior or 4 wheel steering would be paying for unnecessary upgrades, but if Traxxas sold all of that stuff separate then people could pay 1,700 dollars for a perfectly capable stock vehicle.

Yeah, but the Trx-4 is something that yo can sell several variations of. Something of this scale, I think Traxxas would want to sell a pretty basic version of it with a few cool features but limited to the essentials. I mean you are talking about adding hundreds of dollars of electronics already. Just to add 1 more steering servo (which would have to be a huge servo mind you) and steering linkages it would be an additional 100 dollars. And then you also have to add the telemetry module and interior.

Traxxas could sell the most extreme loaded with accessories model for like 2,200 dollars but then all of the people that don't care about the detailed interior or 4 wheel steering would be paying for unnecessary upgrades, but if Traxxas sold all of that stuff separate then people could pay 1,700 dollars for a perfectly capable stock vehicle.
    I don't understand why the negativity of a wish list or dream of a new vehicle. Who cares what it will cost! All the posts where about what they would like to see in a vehicle, not about why "here's the reason why not."

I guess we are not able to wish or dream about something unless there is a price tag attached?

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah I am not talking about dreams but practical already available tech.

I actually think Traxxas can implement full telemetry since they already do some of it. I think a better way - instead of sensors in the gears, is to incorporate GPS. Today I think DJI has the best two way communications - while streaming live HD video, so just live telemetry is certainly much easier. Seems modern ESCs incorporate more smarts these days, I think this is the next progression as all drones already do.

Since a new design will be required anyway, adding 4WS will not be a burden and will not necessarilly require 4 servos. There are many 4WS mods on YT so if it can be added after the fact then certainly a talented design team should have no problems.

As far as scale bodies are concerned Traxxas already has a great portfolio. The Summit exoskeleton body is great - and doesn't require licensing, but I think it's enticing to offer great licensed scale bodies as an option.

Of course price point is always important in this highly competitive market. I see Arrma's "full roller" packages - excluding electronics, as a clever option. Traxxas already does kits, so RTR, rollers and kits are great ways to roll out a new design and scale business.
    Last edited by LesDMess; 11-14-2020 at 07:40 PM.

I don't understand why the negativity of a wish list or dream of a new vehicle. Who cares what it will cost! All the posts where about what they would like to see in a vehicle, not about why "here's the reason why not."

I guess we are not able to wish or dream about something unless there is a price tag attached?
    Ok, if we are just brainstorming and trying to dream of what could be then I would want it to have a trailer hitch and come with a trailer that is just a chair with wheels, I'm tired of walking behind my cars I want them to pull me. Oh, and pneumatic suspension with Fox ride command, so that it can adapt to driving conditions.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Schs2013 View Post
    I like the current size of the summit. Don't know why everyone is hoping for A xmaxx sized summit. I would like to just see drive terrain updates like they did for the 2.0 erevo

Nah, that is boring! When it came to 1/10 the summit was king! It would be great to see it be king of the 1/5 in my opinion. With sheer size and capability it could easily be that.

Nah, that is boring! When it came to 1/10 the summit was king! It would be great to see it be king of the 1/5 in my opinion. With sheer size and capability it could easily be that.
    It would most definitely be the king of RC's, I would frankly love to have one.

RC Racer
    For me it's big enough as it is. Plus good luck hauling a 5T or xmaxx sized rig in a backpack to carry it if it breaks. I prefer something that fits into a backpack. The summit barley fits in one without the wheels and tires on it. And then what challenges would it have on the trails being that big.

For me it's big enough as it is. Plus good luck hauling a 5T or xmaxx sized rig in a backpack to carry it if it breaks. I prefer something that fits into a backpack. The summit barley fits in one without the wheels and tires on it. And then what challenges would it have on the trails being that big.

I agree with all of your points except with the trails part, In my head it is supposed to be able to just plow over everything so the you aren't going to be on typical trails but like full sized ATV trails.

RC Enthusiast

Backpacking one?..lol that's what a trx is for. As far as carrying, I have only carried it out once due to a servo going out. Guess you pay to play at times, but I always leave enough battery power to get me back to the car. I understand that some will not like the extra large size of a 1/5 summit, stick with the 1/10 but as far as I am concerned it would be sweet to own one!

Just imagine how effective a snow plow would be on a vehicle of that size. Or like pulling an X-MAXX and an XO-1 around at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast