RC Competitor

Oil for inside the tranny case and choosing shock oil

What is recommended for the weight of oil you put inside the tranny box? I'm using 2.5 silicone grease in my differential to create a limited slip but not totally locking it. I'm just wondering what I should use for the other gears in the box. I seen a someone say they used two other oils but I'm not sure where. Also, how do you choose shock oil?
    Thanks guys as always!

The transmission is not sealed. I use a light amount of grease on the gears.

Shock oil depends on your spring choice and the desire of how you want the truck to perform. Stock is 30wt but you may be able to go to 40wt on the stock springs.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I bought he HR sealed differential and I'm gonna put 2.5 cst silicone oil in it so it's not totally locked but close. I can't seem to find the 2.5 million cst grease though. Anyone know where I can get some?

Quote Originally Posted by Michiganmisfit7 View Post
    I bought he HR sealed differential and I'm gonna put 2.5 cst silicone oil in it so it's not totally locked but close. I can't seem to find the 2.5 million cst grease though. Anyone know where I can get some?
    Oh your talking about the differential. Not the transmission. I also bought the hot racing sealed diff for my 2wd slash and the thickest i could find at the time was 1m and that made a pretty substantial difference. Id give that a go first if you can find some.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I found some 2.5 mil but they're proud of it lol I'm wondering if it has to be for rc or can I just buy some at Ace or home depot. A guy posted on another post of mine 1 mil want wasn't enough for his but 2 or 2.5 was perfect. What terrain are you running 1 mil DVD it wasn't enough. I think he said he was running on sand
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-12-2020 at 02:34 AM. Reason: language abuse

I drive my slash on everything. Tar, cement, low grass, hard dirt, soft sandy dirt, gravel. Most everything. You can really tell if the truck is on its side, the tire off the ground will spin but the one with traction will spin too. Not as fast but if you get into the throttle it'll grab enough so it moves forward.

RC poster
    I use 20wt in the rear diff and 30wt in the front.
    Shock oil im using 42.5
    Seems to do the job

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwipaul View Post
    I use 20wt in the rear diff and 30wt in the front.
    Shock oil im using 42.5
    Seems to do the job

Do you mean 20k and 30k for your diffs?

RC poster
    Yes