Post Taking a slash apart after a noob's year and half of abuse.

Title is pretty self explanatory. I decided, for the first time, to rip apart my slash. Pictures will be linked in this Google Drive folder: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RWy...ew?usp=sharing (chronological order) Just an archive of a 14 yo's experience with his second hobby-grade car, and first Traxxas truck :P

Warning; Contains abuse of an RC truck, rust, wear and tear, excessive idiocy, blown-out tires, wasting money, random chromebook ads, and general stupidity.

Tl:Dr; Wasted.

Will post updates for a couple days (roughly 5-9 PM EST, dunno why anyone would be interested tho XD)
    Last edited by SpeedieGonzales; 11-11-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Night 1; Taking apart suspension components.

I hated the stock shafts so much, I wasted a good 30$ on replacements, these TeknoRC M6 Driveshafts have served me well, But front left one seems to be popping out. Update in a minute with dissembled susp. Update; hmm, might be ded bearing, the shaft was not sitting where it's supposed to be.

Still working out the images, Chromebook camera is B a d, but I like how i've snapped an aluminum hex on my first 2s LiPo
    Last edited by SpeedieGonzales; 11-11-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedieGonzales View Post
    Night 1; Taking apart suspension components.

I hated the stock shafts so much, I wasted a good 30$ on replacements, these TeknoRC M6 Driveshafts have served me well, But front left one seems to be popping out. Update in a minute with dissembled susp. Update; hmm, might be ded bearing, the shaft was not sitting where it's supposed to be.

Still working out the images, Chromebook camera is B a d, but I like how i've snapped an aluminum hex on my first 2s LiPo
    Download tapatalk for uploading pictures. It's free and easy.

On the other hand im following this post. Seems interesting to me.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    Download tapatalk for uploading pictures. It's free and easy.

On the other hand im following this post. Seems interesting to me.

I'll check it out, thanks. I'm using phone for pics, but uploading through Chromebook. Also, congrats on 777 posts XD

I'll check it out, thanks. I'm using phone for pics, but uploading through Chromebook. Also, congrats on 777 posts XD
    Thank you haha.

I assume that you are posting everything from school, I do the same thing. Ever since COVID-19 we have had major changes in the school system. Everyone had online school for the beginning 3 weeks of school then you go to decide whether you wanted to go back to school or wanted to keep doing online. Well I chose in school, but since the teachers can't really hand out papers (due to sanitary reasons) everything is on laptops. I have the forums pinned on my chromebook and I am constantly checking for questions that I can answer or responses to my answers. It's kinda funny because the only time I am really on the forums is when I'm at school.

I am in physics right now supposed to be doing a lab but I learn a lot on these forums so I can justify in my own mind that this is more important.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    I assume that you are posting everything from school, I do the same thing. Ever since COVID-19 we have had major changes in the school system. Everyone had online school for the beginning 3 weeks of school then you go to decide whether you wanted to go back to school or wanted to keep doing online. Well I chose in school, but since the teachers can't really hand out papers (due to sanitary reasons) everything is on laptops. I have the forums pinned on my chromebook and I am constantly checking for questions that I can answer or responses to my answers. It's kinda funny because the only time I am really on the forums is when I'm at school.

I am in physics right now supposed to be doing a lab but I learn a lot on these forums so I can justify in my own mind that this is more important.
    Close, but not quite. :P I've been homeschooled since I was little. So this isn't new to me. I just don't like phones in general... prefer tablets and desktop PCs. Also, agreed, though I can't wait for Physics. Don't miss out on something that could help you in the hobby :P

Ok so kinda breaking the upload thing, but whatever, it doesn't rlly matter. I didn't rlly finish last night (Got tired+other stresses)
    So I took the shocks off, and the rear ones have held up great, but this entire time, the front ones have bent. I have some shocks from scrapyard Stampede, so I might disassemble those and Frankenstein some new ones together. I am buying some offbrand shocks this christmas, so will update as well when those get in. I've only recently had an A-arm break (Rear bulkhead took it last time) so I replaced the front with RPM arms to reduce the impacts, but that's made the shock bending worse. Will post disassembled shocks soon. (before this afternoon.) Aww yis, I rhymed.

Edit; Also, ty for the suggestion but tapatalk is not on Chromebook.
    Last edited by SpeedieGonzales; 11-12-2020 at 11:52 AM.

Close, but not quite. :P I've been homeschooled since I was little. So this isn't new to me. I just don't like phones in general... prefer tablets and desktop PCs. Also, agreed, though I can't wait for Physics. Don't miss out on something that could help you in the hobby :P
    Definitely, I like physics, but that is part of the reason why I tend not to listen in that class, I already know most of the stuff.

Ok, for some reason you guys can only see one picture.... one min

Why did no one tell me?
    FULL FOLDER --> https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...un?usp=sharing <-- FULL FOLDER

the original link is for only one pic

Admin; if you can plz edit this into original post (For the thread)
    Last edited by SpeedieGonzales; 11-12-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    Definitely, I like physics, but that is part of the reason why I tend not to listen in that class, I already know most of the stuff.
    Also, how do i do sig? I can't find it. "once you go electric you never go back"

Also, how do i do sig? I can't find it. "once you go electric you never go back"
    1. Go to forum actions at the top of the screen

2. Click general settings

3. Click edit signature (left side of screen)

You might need to have so many posts or have been on the forums for a certain amount of time to make a signature.

Ahh ok, i don't think I had met the criteria last time i checked, I'm an RC competitor now

Will the 50 character limit be expanded when i get to a higher rank?
    Florida Man cares not from whence the speed comes

Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    Thank you haha.

Sorry about lack of images, scroll down for the actual folder. dunno why it only shared one.

Will the 50 character limit be expanded when i get to a higher rank?
    I'm not sure but one would hope.

Going to disassemble shocks and upload pics, then work on other stuff. update in like 5 mins.
    Ok, how did I end up RUSTING a shock shaft? Water inside the shock?
    Last edited by SpeedieGonzales; 11-12-2020 at 06:35 PM.

So, Dissasembled shocks now, one shaft is just bandanna'ed. I defer this to you guys. (newest picture in folder linked above)

Just replace with Frankestein'ed shock, orrrr what. Also, forgot about this, I was missing a diaphragm, good to find that.
    The shock fluid in my shocks was disgusting, why is the replacement shock so much cleaner than mine? Is it cuz of the FL sand and mud?
    Last edited by SpeedieGonzales; 11-12-2020 at 07:23 PM.

RC Racer
    So, Dissasembled shocks now, one shaft is just bandanna'ed. I defer this to you guys. (newest picture in folder linked above)

Just replace with Frankestein'ed shock, orrrr what. Also, forgot about this, I was missing a diaphragm, good to find that.
    The shock fluid in my shocks was disgusting, why is the replacement shock so much cleaner than mine? Is it cuz of the FL sand and mud?
    I would say that yeah your shock is probably dirtier because of your running conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Invincibl View Post
    I would say that yeah your shock is probably dirtier because of your running conditions.
    So, how do I seal my shock better? Should I put some vasoline on the threads, or what? I've cleaned and dried the shocks now, going to refill them later today.

I have blue loc-tite, I know it isn't advised to do it plastic-on-metal, but If i don't need to open the shocks anymore... Plus I'll be getting some new ones for Christmas. Dunno how long till they'll be opened, but i'll have them available. Probably slap one set on the rear and keep the front stock, because the rear is what droops down. Plus I don't want to be buying more of these when I still have stock shafts and stuff so I can cobble together new ones. These are the ones i'll be ordering, btw, unless any of you know of better quality for not more than 1 or 2 $ extra.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...869S9BVI&psc=1
    Last edited by SpeedieGonzales; 11-13-2020 at 09:27 AM.

RC Racer
    Instead of buying those shocks, I would buy the traxxas aluminum shock caps. There isnt really a better way to keep them sealed. Since you run in sand and mud, there is a chance that small particles will get in the shocks, thus getting your oil dirty. you always have to change out your shock oil every year because it gets dirty over time. I highly doubt that those cheap hobbypark shocks would be better than the original.

Instead of buying those shocks, I would buy the traxxas aluminum shock caps. There isnt really a better way to keep them sealed. Since you run in sand and mud, there is a chance that small particles will get in the shocks, thus getting your oil dirty. you always have to change out your shock oil every year because it gets dirty over time. I highly doubt that those cheap hobbypark shocks would be better than the original.
    Mkay. I have the aluminum shock caps btw. Ik the GTR shocks are highly recommended, but they're a bit out of my price range for shocks atm. I'd rather spend the money on steel hexes or something. Speaking of which, any reccomendations for those? If you compare those aluminum ones to the plastic stock ones (non-M6), the inside hole is wider because the M6 driveshafts have the same thread but larger mounting diameter where the hex grabs the pin. Any reccomendations for steel ones? I have these qued up but I dunno if they're any good. haven't looked much into them. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OVMPEXJK&psc=1 Any other Sl4$hers have experience with this?

Also, Invincibl, Does Kevin Talbot visit you often with his RC's? XD
    "To the Mooooon!"
    Last edited by SpeedieGonzales; 11-13-2020 at 10:28 AM.

RC Racer
    "To the Mooooon!"
    I love Kevin Talbot.
    Last edited by Invincibl; 11-13-2020 at 10:49 AM.

RC Racer
    Mkay. I have the aluminum shock caps btw. Ik the GTR shocks are highly recommended, but they're a bit out of my price range for shocks atm. I'd rather spend the money on steel hexes or something. Speaking of which, any reccomendations for those? If you compare those aluminum ones to the plastic stock ones (non-M6), the inside hole is wider because the M6 driveshafts have the same thread but larger mounting diameter where the hex grabs the pin. Any reccomendations for steel ones? I have these qued up but I dunno if they're any good. haven't looked much into them. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OVMPEXJK&psc=1 Any other Sl4$hers have experience with this?
    I have the M6 driveshafts. Those are the only aluminum hexes for them. They attach by clamping on to the pin

Dirt usually doesn't get in the shocks from the cap. It's usually through the o-rings when the shock shaft is moving.

"To the Mooooon!"
    I suggest getting rear suspension arm guards. It protects the bottom of the shock, and also parts of the driveshafts. Here is a link to a thread I started several months ago about how to install it: https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...spension+guard
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

I have the M6 driveshafts. Those are the only aluminum hexes for them. They attach by clamping on to the pin
    I have ones i got from LHS, definetly not those (they dont clamp on or snap on) sooooooo. Thanks tho.

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Dirt usually doesn't get in the shocks from the cap. It's usually through the o-rings when the shock shaft is moving.

I suggest getting rear suspension arm guards. It protects the bottom of the shock, and also parts of the driveshafts. Here is a link to a thread I started several months ago about how to install it: https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...spension+guard
    Not sure how this would help... seems like the only thing it'll do is protect the shaft from rocks and stuff being launched, and the shock shaft... I do not think it will help at all with our Spanish Moss down here in FL. What exactly are you referring to?

Not sure how this would help... seems like the only thing it'll do is protect the shaft from rocks and stuff being launched, and the shock shaft... I do not think it will help at all with our Spanish Moss down here in FL. What exactly are you referring to?
    Sorry for the confusion, the two statements above are separate from each other. I misunderstood the post by Invincibl, and the second statement was just a suggestion as for upgrades. Sorry if that sounded confusing.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Sorry for the confusion, the two statements above are separate from each other. I misunderstood the post by Invincibl, and the second statement was just a suggestion as for upgrades. Sorry if that sounded confusing.
    I get it, thanks :P

So update on the rebuild; I'm worried about bearings, So I've put everything back together and yeah... Will continue the rebuild once I have the bearing kit, I don't want to take it apart, rebuild it, to take it apart again... Check back around new year if you're interested!

Bearing kit will be here after Christmas *grr* but I will post then. Cya guys!