RC poster

Rustler 4x4 body post conversion.

I get it some of you like the new body type of the 4x4 Rustler, however I do not. The body mounts in my opinion are a big pain I have looked and looked can not find a conversion kit to give it pin body posts. Does anyone know of a way to do this or of a kit? This is in the process of becoming a drag car so I don't need or want a basher like body.

I completely understand what you're talking about, and am in complete agreement. Besides the body being a constant PitA to install, another problem I quickly discovered was that, when crashing into something has-on, the body works consistently pop off the front mount.

Thankfully, you can easily replace the shock towers with the shock towers found on the brushed Rustler 4x4 (which are the same shock towers found on the Slash 4x4). This also allows you to use the body from the brushed Rustler 4x4.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Thankfully, you can easily replace the shock towers with the shock towers found on the brushed Rustler 4x4 (which are the same shock towers found on the Slash 4x4). This also allows you to use the body from the brushed Rustler 4x4.
    The brushed and VXL Ruster 4x4 use the same shock towers.

Panther6834 is right about the body shock towers and posts from the Slash 4x4 (or maybe the ones from the Stampede)

I just got the brushed rustler 4x4 and it has that awful clip system. It's such a pain.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    I just got the brushed rustler 4x4 and it has that awful clip system. It's such a pain.

It's pretty simple once you get used to it.

Im pretty much use to it at this point. It's still a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post

I don't get what you guys are talking about. I get that you get less customization with the clipless body system but I like it way more that the clips. I have lost easily over 100 body clips over the past 5 years. Plus, the clipless system is so much faster.

Everyone has an opinion, It's all about preference.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    I don't get what you guys are talking about. I get that you get less customization with the clipless body system but I like it way more that the clips. I have lost easily over 100 body clips over the past 5 years. Plus, the clipless system is so much faster.

Everyone has an opinion, It's all about preference.
    20 body clips a year is worth giving away the ability to use other bodies easily?

I mean, to each his own and whatever, but thatís not a worthwhile trade in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    20 body clips a year is worth giving away the ability to use other bodies easily?

I mean, to each his own and whatever, but that’s not a worthwhile trade in my book.
    I have the Limited body on my E-revo so I have no need to ever really change what body I use.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Enthusiast
    After owing my Rustler 4x4 VXL for a week now i like the Clipless body mounting system and dislike it. I like it because its easy to remove the body. But installing it back on how ever is a bit difficult but i found out its because the sides of the body like to roll over On the chassis And that it makes it more difficult that and the front body mount to shock tower doesnít line up. But for the most part its not all bad. At least No body clips lost or broken lol
    03 Accord EXV6 Sedan
    Smooth As Silk

RC poster
    I as well want more body options. I’ve been told multiple times that the slash 4x4 and rustler 4x4 shock towers are different because the diff housing is a bit different. I’ve also read many times that everybody is swapping shock towers between the 2 vehicles. Someone who has actually done it please confirm.
    Last edited by badf12h; 11-25-2020 at 11:29 AM.

I think Proline just came out with an extended body mount kit for the Rustler 4x4: https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...ustler-4x4.asp

Hope this helps!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    I think Proline just came out with an extended body mount kit for the Rustler 4x4: https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...ustler-4x4.asp

Hope this helps!
    This is fantastic...and, L-O-N-G overdue. However, it's only the first step of a two-step process, and there's no word on when...or even if...the second step will occur. What is that second step, you ask. Simple - alternate Rustler 4x4 bodies.

However, since Pro-Line is releasing this Rustler 4x4-specific body mount, I'd guess there's they'd a fairly high probability they've already been working on alternate bodies. Here's to hoping at least 1-2 bodies get released in the extremely-near future.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by badf12h View Post
    I as well want more body options. I’ve been told multiple times that the slash 4x4 and rustler 4x4 shock towers are different because the diff housing is a bit different. I’ve also read many times that everybody is swapping shock towers between the 2 vehicles. Someone who has actually done it please confirm.
    That’s no true. The towers swap just fine.

I as well want more body options. Iíve been told multiple times that the slash 4x4 and rustler 4x4 shock towers are different because the diff housing is a bit different. Iíve also read many times that everybody is swapping shock towers between the 2 vehicles. Someone who has actually done it please confirm.
    Toddler 4x4, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4, and even XO-1 shock towers all swap equally. I know because I've installed Slash 4x4 & XO-1 towers onto my Rusty. Btw, the rear tower on the XO-1 is the exact same optional aluminum front tower for the Sl4sh. As for the upcoming Pro-Line Rustler 4x4 body mounts, based on the photos, you do NOT remove the stock towers (which have the Rustler body mounts built in)...the Pro-Line body mounts bolt to the front/rear diffs & stock shock towers.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    I just ordered those a few days ago. This should be a game changer.

RC poster
    Thatís no true. The towers swap just fine.
    Thanks. If the proline mounts donít work, Iíll get some slash shock towers.

RC poster
    Toddler 4x4, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4, and even XO-1 shock towers all swap equally. I know because I've installed Slash 4x4 & XO-1 towers onto my Rusty. Btw, the rear tower on the XO-1 is the exact same optional aluminum front tower for the Sl4sh. As for the upcoming Pro-Line Rustler 4x4 body mounts, based on the photos, you do NOT remove the stock towers (which have the Rustler body mounts built in)...the Pro-Line body mounts bolt to the front/rear diffs & stock shock towers.

I ordered the proline mounts a few days ago. If they bolt right up that would be awesome.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. If the proline mounts don’t work, I’ll get some slash shock towers.

Proline makes good stuff but the slash towers are tried and true.

Lots of rustler 2wd drive bodies out there to try....

RC poster
    I already ordered the proline mounts a few days ago to go with the proline bronco body Iím painting. Plus, my 4x4 rustler vxl is actually sitting on a slash chassis right now. I have a slash body on there right now with slash body mounts temporarily rigged to the clip less mounts but I need something sturdier and more permanent.

I just ordered those a few days ago. This should be a game changer.
    How were you able to order them, and where did you order them from? I've checked several sites, and none of them...including directly from Pro-Line...are seeking them yet.

Lots of rustler 2wd drive bodies out there to try....
    Unfortunately, the 2WD Rustler has 11.38" wheelbase, while the Rustler 4x4 (which the Pro-Line body mounts are for) has 11.62" wheelbase. Granted, that's only a 0.24" difference...but, at the same time, what are the 2WD Rustler body options? I'm quite interested in knowing/checking-into the possibilities.

RC poster
    My mistake, I ordered the regular slash extended body mounts

RC Qualifier
    How were you able to order them, and where did you order them from? I've checked several sites, and none of them...including directly from Pro-Line...are seeking them yet.

Unfortunately, the 2WD Rustler has 11.38" wheelbase, while the Rustler 4x4 (which the Pro-Line body mounts are for) has 11.62" wheelbase. Granted, that's only a 0.24" difference...but, at the same time, what are the 2WD Rustler body options? I'm quite interested in knowing/checking-into the possibilities.

Thatís close enough for me anyway. Jconcepts makes a number of rustler 2wd bodies

Thatís close enough for me anyway. Jconcepts makes a number of rustler 2wd bodies
    Thanks, again. Over the past two years, you've definitely provided me, and countless others, extensive info. Going to check them out right now.

Correction...checked them out. The only 1WD Rustler bodies of interest are the Illusion "Hi-Speed" w/ Wing (JCO0042), and Illusion "Raptor SVT" (JCO0210), both of which I'm assuming would fit. Between the two, I think I prefer the "Hi-Speed" body. Besides, since my Baja Rey has a Ford Raptor body, I don't exactly want another.

However...I also like the Illusion "BAJR" for the Slash (JCO0080), and Jato "Hi-Speed" Illusion (JCO0046), and am curious as to whether either/both of these could fit. I know the Jato is a nitro vehicle, but JConcepts doesn't pre-cut the engine hole, so it wouldn't have any 'opening'. Looking at both of them...plus, between the four bodies I mentioned, I like this one the best...but, don't know if it will actually for, plus it airways to be out of stock everywhere.

Last edited by Panther6834; 11-25-2020 at 10:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Always happy to be part of the conversation, Panther.

The illuzion high speed is a great body and very versatile. The adjustable mounts should give a good deal of room to raise and lower as one sees fit. I too have a love hate relationship with the clip less bodies so this is a very exciting development.

Always happy to be part of the conversation, Panther.

The illuzion high speed is a great body and very versatile. The adjustable mounts should give a good deal of room to raise and lower as one sees fit. I too have a love hate relationship with the clip less bodies so this is a very exciting development.
    When you say "the Illusion Hi-Speed is a great body", which one (or, maybe both) are you referring to...the one specifically for the Rustler and/or the one for the Jato? Design-wise, they're different. However, having tried the Pro-Line Crowd Pleazer 2.0 body (I bought three of them, although I don't think I'll ever use the other two) on the Rustler 4x4, I know that the Jato wheelbase is close enough to the Rusty 4x4, that it should work.

RC Qualifier
    The rustler one. The new proline body mount is a game changer because the slash 4x4 mounts from them is still too high off the tower. The rustler 4x4 one looks like you can mount the body much lower and be able to not show bottom of the chassis. Here the top one is on a Rustl4r where the rear is just sitting on the towers with two batteries hold down posts, front is using the slash 4x4 stock posts.

Yeah I hate the clip less system, the body doesn't fit right and rubs and its a pain to get off. Clip less works fine on the xmaxx but doesn't scale down very well.