RC poster

Question Clicking from Motor/Gears on Brand new, never used slash.

Hello. AS the title says, I have a substantially loud clicking noise on my new slash that was never used before. I inspected all the gears and all the anomalies that i see are the spur gear moving back and forward a bit. When I fold away the motor so it is not engaged, the car does not make any sound when rolling around. When the motor is folded back and meshed with the spur gear, however, the clicking sound is back. Therefore I managed to pinpoint it is neither of my diffs. I'm quite stumped as this is my first real R/C car and it was a birthday gift from my parents. I'm quite sad as I expected it to work out of the box. Thanks for any suggestions. <3

Quote Originally Posted by TomeiDaah View Post
    I inspected all the gears and all the anomalies that i see are the spur gear moving back and forward a bit.
    That's normal. Every joint or gear mesh between the motor and the wheels has a little bit of slack, and it all adds together.

When I fold away the motor so it is not engaged, the car does not make any sound when rolling around. When the motor is folded back and meshed with the spur gear, however, the clicking sound is back.
    If you no longer hear the clicking sound when rolling your vehicle while your pinion and spur are not meshed together, then it can only be your motor, pinion, or spur at that point. That sort of makes sense since one of the most common causes of this clicking sound is the mesh between the pinion and spur. It's unlikely to be an object inside the motor because the motor is sealed (assuming brushless) and there really isn't much in there that could cause that sort of clicking. It could be something as simple as a grain sand or other object stuck between two of the teeth in the pinion or spur. Or one of the teeth might be dented somehow. More likely to be an issue on the spur than the pinion.

I'd give the gears another close look (the spur especially). Maybe try to run it slowly with the gear cover removed and observe the gears. Does the click correspond with one complete revolution of the spur?

Welcome to the Traxxas forums and happy birthday!

Can you post a video of the Slash and the noise it is making?

Note: If your truck is brushless, the motor has strong magnets and will feel rather notchy and the center driveshaft will make some noise.

Example of what stock sounds like:

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    It's normal - my ultimate did the same thing out of the box - the sound comes from the center drive shaft (which is splined) clanking around. There is also a slight clicking from metal gears, but that is minor.

The clicking sound can be generally quieted by putting a rubber o-ring on each drive hub of the center driveshaft. Additionally, you can check the gear mesh to ensure it is at the right tolerances.

Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    It's normal - my ultimate did the same thing out of the box - the sound comes from the center drive shaft (which is splined) clanking around. There is also a slight clicking from metal gears, but that is minor.

The clicking sound can be generally quieted by putting a rubber o-ring on each drive hub of the center driveshaft. Additionally, you can check the gear mesh to ensure it is at the right tolerances.
    OP said that the clicking goes away if his pinion and spur are not meshed, so that would imply that nothing downstream of the spur is the source of the clicking.

Welcome to Traxxas Forums!

Sorry that your car came with an issue. Here are some possible issues the car may have:

- Does your motor make that sound? Run the motor when the motor is not engaged. It should not have any clicking (if it is a brushed motor), if it does, call Traxxas support, and they will send you a new motor. If it is a brushless motor, it may sound clicky due to the 4 pole magnets, and that is normal.

- Take a look at the pinion gear (small metal gear) position on the motor shaft. Turn the pinion gear so that the set screw (or grub screw) is facing up. Then move the spur gear back and forth a bit (don't spin the gear, move it laterally). A bit of play on the spur gear is normal. When you move it towards the motor, if the set screw overlaps the path of the spur gear, then the screw is hitting the spur gear every time it turns. If that happens, all you have to do is to loosen the screw and move it so that the screw will not hit the spur gear:

Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    I'll check this, thanks. Will post further updates.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post

Yeah, I'll post a video tomorrow if that's okay. European time zones

Yeah, I'll post a video tomorrow if that's okay. European time zones
    It could also be possible that you spur gear is either A, not tightened down fully on all three screws or B, the plastic spur gear is warped from heat coming off of the slipper clutch. Since your car is completely new I doubt that it is the second option so it would have to be the first one.

Try to spin the spur gear either by hand or by spinning the wheels, if it looks wobbly then make sure that all three screws on it are tightened down all of the way. If for some reason this doesn't solve the wobble then your spur gear is probably warped. At that point you should just ignore the clicking and drive away!

The spur gear on my Trx-4 is warped for some reason (probably clutch heat) and it makes a clicking noise whenever I drive it.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    OP said that the clicking goes away if his pinion and spur are not meshed, so that would imply that nothing downstream of the spur is the source of the clicking.
    Not necessarily. If it is brushless then it has a pronounced clickety motion to it and causes further vibration through the driveshaft. Mine does this right now. When the motor is connected and you roll it by hand, the sound will occur because the motor hitting the magnets in repetition. Does the same thing when powered.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post

Note: If your truck is brushless, the motor has strong magnets and will feel rather notchy and the center driveshaft will make some noise.

Have fun!
    Hey, SO here is the link to the video of it making the sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Cw...ature=youtu.be

RC poster
    I also noticed that it does the sound only when going forwards, not backwards. (Brushed Titan 12T550)

The sound is definitely not normal... It doesn't sound like any problem with the gears (maybe something wrong with the brushes of the motor), have you powered the motor with it disengaged from the car?

My 12T Titan 550 is around 2 years old (been in two trucks, originally on my Slash 2wd, and then transferred over on my Slash 4x4 since it came as a used roller), so it may be too worn to compare but it should be close to this:

Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post

Have fun!
    That gearing seems really high, just from the sound of it.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.