RC Competitor

UDRís donít go to good in the snow

Does a UDR with paddles go much better in the snow than regular tires?

From what ive seen, anything goes well with paddles in snow. Not sure which ones will fit the UDR though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk for the first time
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp2deSummit View Post
    From what ive seen, anything goes well with paddles in snow. Not sure which ones will fit the UDR though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk for the first time
    At the expense of pointing out the obvious, uh, ahem

https://traxxas.com/udr-accessories

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    At the expense of pointing out the obvious, uh, ahem

https://traxxas.com/udr-accessories

I did say it was my first time using tapatalk...

Ikemort- Paddle tires are also good for sand. I have actually tried 3D printed "paddle tires" in the snow, those worked pretty well on my 1/16 summit. I'm not coming from no experience with paddles, though I realize now it may seem so from my initial post.

Hope this helps man!
    Last edited by Sp2deSummit; 11-12-2020 at 11:27 PM.
    I like free stuff!

RC Racer
    I thought Traxxas had paddle tires for this truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dbestfromclovis View Post
    I thought Traxxas had paddle tires for this truck

I believe that is what @TwoBelugas was hinting at:
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8475
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Competitor
    I’m just wondering if they make enough of a difference to you at 60$ for them.

They do make a lot of difference, but they are only limited to loose/soft surfaces, like snow, sand, and mud (maybe also good for hydroplaning on water). Other types of terrain may wear out the paddles very fast. Also, the UDR is a fairly heavy vehicle, so if you have a lighter vehicle for the job (like a slash 4x4), it would probably be more maneuverable.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    They do make a lot of difference, but they are only limited to loose/soft surfaces, like snow, sand, and mud (maybe also good for hydroplaning on water). Other types of terrain may wear out the paddles very fast. Also, the UDR is a fairly heavy vehicle, so if you have a lighter vehicle for the job (like a slash 4x4), it would probably be more maneuverable.
    You forgot about how they make a cool noise when you drive!
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

Check out kevin talbot's channel. He's run them on his UDR in snow. Seems to get around pretty good.

RC Qualifier
    I actually run my trucks more in the winter. Best thing I've found is snow chains. I had paddles and wasn't impressed. Paddles might be better for the light fluffy snow, but as for the ice, hard packed snow, and wet heavy snow, the snow chains are better. But I only run 1/10 scale size rigs, probably only hit 40mph max, not sure how a larger heavier possibly faster truck would be, or how well it would clear the snow chains. And its super cheap to make the chains, just buy like 30 feet of jack chain, and build them yourself. Does increase rotational mass, which could increase breakages, but didn't seem to increase my breakage rate over the years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Where did you get the chains?

RC Qualifier
    Homedepot, lowes, any hardware store. I'll take a picture of one of my wheels tomorrow, and let you know the chain size I use

RC Qualifier
    Heres some pics of a set I'm currently making for a 5.25 inch tall tire. I used galvanized chain, since it'll be in the snow. The links do wear out over time, I probably replace about 6 to 10 links a winter.
    If you do build some yourself, hang them off a shelf or something like in the 2nd pic, makes it much easier to build without it getting twisted and tangled. I also would recommend getting 2 different types or colors of chains, like a thinner/smaller one for the 2 long sides, it'll make it easier to install on the tires. For reference, the sides are 11 inches long, the cross peices are 3.5 inches long. That fits snuggly on the 5.25 tall 2 inch wide tire. Your measurements will be different since your tires are larger. On my 2.8 trenchers they are 4 inches for the width, and about the same length. Takes some tinkering to get the first one done and fitting right, then the others are easy to make once you know the sizes. Once installed, they should fit nice and snug, shouldn't have any links flopping around if you shake the tire. But also shouldn't be crushing it either.

RC Competitor
    That looks awesome

Do your trucks turn very good? I’ve heard that they don’t turn sharp once you put chains on.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I believe that is what @TwoBelugas was hinting at:
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8475
    Ah. I stand corrected

RC Qualifier
    All mine turn the same. I only have open wheel trucks, so there's no clearance issues. It does get less traction on tar though. I generally stay off the pavement anyway, but with the chains on, it makes it slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    All mine turn the same. I only have open wheel trucks, so there's no clearance issues. It does get less traction on tar though. I generally stay off the pavement anyway, but with the chains on, it makes it slippery.

What do you use to secure it to the tire on the back side? Ziptie, wire or did you find a good clasp to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    Homedepot, lowes, any hardware store. I'll take a picture of one of my wheels tomorrow, and let you know the chain size I use

What size chain? Thinking of using this on my Sport.
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    What do you use to secure it to the tire on the back side? Ziptie, wire or did you find a good clasp to use?
    The back is the same as the front. Nothing extra. The links can be opened up and closed, so the same method of opening and closing a link to make the set of chains is the same method to attach to the tires.

RC Qualifier
    Not sure on size, bought like 60 or maybe even 100 feet a couple few years ago. I'm actually out now, probably gonna pick more up within a week or 2, can let you know the size then.

RC Qualifier
    It’s called jack chain and should be at any hardware store. I think it’s #16 I used, maybe?
    They should has some smaller stuff for hanging flower pots, bird feeders and such...
    Get brass if you can as it’s best for strength to weight ratio. Weight IS important!
    Aluminum is too soft and steel is too heavy(imo). Brass links are easily bent as well.
    Pretty sure I wanted at least 8 cross links to be effective. Hard to recall exactly. It’s been a while.
    I’ve moved to a few sets of paddles and also made spiked tire sets for use depending on conditions.
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 12-20-2020 at 09:03 PM.

RC Competitor
    Do you think that they would work on a 6s udr?