RC Enthusiast

Diff gear case leaking and bored out

I have an issue with my rear diff leaking next to the left yoke and the yoke has an extreme wobble allowing the fluid out. The diff internal case seemed to have been bored out after I purchased steel driveshafts probably because they have less play like plastic stock and cased more friction on the internal diff case (sticking trough the bearings). All of the fluid has leaked out and is bone dry and still working fine with the wobble but however is getting worse and loud, same with the diff spider gears. Any solutions to this issue such as an aluminum diff case or better driveshafts and a new plastic case?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddley View Post
    I have an issue with my rear diff leaking next to the left yoke and the yoke has an extreme wobble allowing the fluid out. The diff internal case seemed to have been bored out after I purchased steel driveshafts probably because they have less play like plastic stock and cased more friction on the internal diff case (sticking trough the bearings). All of the fluid has leaked out and is bone dry and still working fine with the wobble but however is getting worse and loud, same with the diff spider gears. Any solutions to this issue such as an aluminum diff case or better driveshafts and a new plastic case?
    I would say to buy a new plastic diff case. try and see if the metal driveshafts are rubbing, and if so maybe sand them down so they don't rub anymore. I would get the plastic case because it is better for bashing generally

RC Enthusiast
    I'll try sanding the driveshafts and see if that helps, but however what i mean by internal diff case is the one with the weighted fluid and has a gasket sealing it and attached to the main diff gear and that little case is the one that has bored out on one side allowing all the diff fluid out causing the car to be very squirrelly in turns and spin out a lot. I've found a aluminum replacement for it and I'm wondering if the steel shafts going to the tiny gears would rub it away like plastic or not or is there some hopup version with bearings or bushings?
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hvQ...w?usp=drivesdk
    Last edited by Reddley; 11-13-2020 at 01:35 AM.

RC Competitor
    Kinda sounds more like a bad bearing
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX

Sounds to me like a bad bearing. But your gonna need a new case aswell.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    The bearing is a brand new one cause thats what I thought. But its a deeper issue and ill just buy a new diff cause that will fix it. I was just wondering if anyone has had this issue and knows any way to prevent this happening in the future but sanding the driveshaft a little should help.

RC Racer
    So it may not be the bearing itself but maybe the plastic adapter around it that attaches to the slipper clutch has melted a bit? If so you may wanna try the aluminum adapter from traxxas part 6893X.
    rustler vxl " Stealth from below"