RC poster

Lightbulb New Traxxas nitro engine

Hi guys,

The .15, 2.5(r) and 3.3 engines are very long time around us.

and traxxas is making new burshless motors, and they getting better everytime.

But i'm wondering if they ever will make new nitro engines.
    and if will the price more normal then the pricing they now have.

Because a dynamite .19 engine is a beter and cheaper engine.

And all nitro cars have the same engine. so will be awesome if we can choose between a new awesome engine.

Would suck if we still have the same 3.3 engine in 5 years.

And they will sell more new nitro cars if they develop a new nitro engine. if they do it right.
    Like kyosho and hpi.

lmk what you all think.

Quote Originally Posted by g0dfriend23 View Post
    Hi guys,

The .15, 2.5(r) and 3.3 engines are very long time around us.

and traxxas is making new burshless motors, and they getting better everytime.

But i'm wondering if they ever will make new nitro engines.
    and if will the price more normal then the pricing they now have.

Because a dynamite .19 engine is a beter and cheaper engine.

And all nitro cars have the same engine. so will be awesome if we can choose between a new awesome engine.

Would suck if we still have the same 3.3 engine in 5 years.

And they will sell more new nitro cars if they develop a new nitro engine. if they do it right.
    Like kyosho and hpi.

lmk what you all think.
    Traxxas seems to be slowly moving away from nitro so I doubt that they would throw a whole bunch of resources into developing a new engine. Electric is just easier to work with and provides better results, that's why there are more and more electric vehicles both RC and full sized coming out every year.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC poster
    i have both, electric and nitro. and i still love my nitro's more. and it isn't that hard to work on.
    just have a know what you doing, same as electric. but sometime ppl dont know what they doing.
    and blame it on the car. and thats why they dont suggest nitro to new ppl.

and alot of ppl saying nitro is more expensive, and thats also not true.

but anyway it will be a waste if nitro is gone in a couple years. its just lovely.

and if traxxas wants a new engine, but not the developing cost. they can team up with a engine brand like novarossi, LRP or picco.

but i don't know if they would do that.

i have both, electric and nitro. and i still love my nitro's more. and it isn't that hard to work on.
    just have a know what you doing, same as electric. but sometime ppl dont know what they doing.
    and blame it on the car. and thats why they dont suggest nitro to new ppl.

and alot of ppl saying nitro is more expensive, and thats also not true.

but anyway it will be a waste if nitro is gone in a couple years. its just lovely.

and if traxxas wants a new engine, but not the developing cost. they can team up with a engine brand like novarossi, LRP or picco.

but i don't know if they would do that.
    Electric is most definitely going to consume the nitro market in a few years. No offence but Traxxas (and all other companies) are in it for the money, and while I'm sure that Traxxas appreciates each and every one of us RC enthusiasts we don't bring in nearly as much money as those parents that buy a Traxxas for their kid on Xmas or their birthday. Those are the people Traxxas tries to appeal to, because those kids will not put a minute into maintaining their car and when something breaks guess what happens, they buy a 30 dollar part from Traxxas not even considering upgrades. It's genius really, That's why Traxxas is so avid about people supporting their local hobby store, because when you go to that hobby store knowing nothing about your car the first thing they are going to recommend is a Traxxas this or that. It's the same thing for the hobby store, for example, when some kid comes in with broken A-arm the store benefits by charging to have the part replaced and Traxxas benefits by someone buying their parts.

That's the exact reason nitro is slowly getting fazed out, the last thing some person that has no knowledge of mechanics wants to do is fiddle around with some engine. Electric is plug and play, you can't go wrong.

By the way, I wasn't trying to sound rude or anything. I was just trying to inform you on why Traxxas isn't making as many nitro vehicles.

RC poster
    not rude, sadly its the truth.

thats why i love what kyosho is doing.

they make a car, and just make it for both. nitro and electric.

how awesome would it be to have a nitro maxx.

not rude, sadly its the truth.

thats why i love what kyosho is doing.

they make a car, and just make it for both. nitro and electric.

how awesome would it be to have a nitro maxx.
    That would be pretty cool, I imagine that a nitro XMAXX would have to have a decently sized motor.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    That would be pretty cool, I imagine that a nitro XMAXX would have to have a decently sized motor.
    I'm not sure about an Xmaxx, but in the Maxx truck it would be a great fit.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I'm not sure about an Xmaxx, but in the Maxx truck it would be a great fit.
    I'm just picturing a 1/5 scale nitro from Traxxas.

Has to be a big nitro engine but that size rig you are getting into gassers. The ~3.3-sized gas engines from Losi and HPI have shown to be a deep disappointment.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    I have a 2.5 Tustler which is RWD... looking to take out for some races and with a 3.3 conversion on the horizon (which would be fun for a RWD xD), would you guys be totally against that conversion (even if I were to add weight) for the use of this Nitro RC on a race dirt track?

Watch the language please.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-13-2020 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    ...The ~3.3-sized gas engines from Losi and HPI have shown to be a deep disappointment.
    I was hoping the mini gas/spark technology on those engines worked out. They did look promising when first advertised. Toyan seems to have worked out the bugs by going with a 4 stroke rather than a 2 stroke setup.
    Only if they were a wee bit cheaper I could see myself getting one.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I was hoping the mini gas/spark technology on those engines worked out.
    Same, you can still get one from SH, but it looks like a rebranding gasoline dynamite .31 which were prone to issues.

I have so many ideas for awesome new engines they could make. For example I have a ys fz53 (roughly 8cc) 4 stroke airplane engine that is both supercharged and fuel injected. Thanks to the fuel injection it will hold a tune forever, and because of the supercharging it has the power of a 2 stroke with the most insane throttle response of any model engine I have seen. The same company also makes spark ignition gasoline models with the same supercharged fuel injection technology, so if Traxxas could make one of those that would be awesome!

Another engine I have that would be cool to see an rc car version of is the Norvel GX40. It is a gasoline engine that uses an os P3 glow plug. (I currently have two of them) there is also SH which makes the GF6 which also runs gasoline with a turbo glow plug. The cool part is they produce torque closer to a 4 stroke due to their increased compression. The only problem is that the glow ignition gasoline engines all seem to struggle to produce a proper combustion past about 15k rpm which is problematic for an rc car engine.

Anyway, maybe Traxxas should work with one of these companies to produce the next generation of model rc car engines.

Thats what I was saying earlier this year on here ^^^

Imagine if you could buy a tried and true traxxas model with a custom OS motor out of the box. Nitro motors get real big, you can make them big. My heli had a 0.96 ringed motor, almost 16cc! Huge. Obviously heli motors are a little different, but goes to show that big can work. OS made some pretty big motors back in the day too, like the 30VG.

I agree also that Kyosho is doing this right. Honestly, they are probably the biggest contender to the up and coming nitro market. The new lineup of cars has a new lineup of engines, who else is making new engines anymore? Exactly. The new KE15SP and KE21SP are great engines and run fantastically. No one else has bothered to make a new engine, or make new RTR vehicles in both configurations.

It would be awesome to see a nitro Maxx with a great motor in it. But people won't buy them. I am not those "people", even though I like to think I am.

Maybe nitro would sell if they figured out fuel injection, but again, time/monetary investment they just can't do on a whim.

Seems like a no brainer, but OS already makes the 21tm. Sounds like a contract made in heaven if they contracted with Traxxas to supply great vehicles with a great engine, literally direct drop in, no new parts needed. IMO.

-Mike

First look at my name on this forum. Yes I am a Nitro Junkie. However the skills required to operate and maintain a nitro R/C is a bit more tedious than the electrics. This is a huge deterrent. If I had a penny for every new nitro owner who cut their 1st engine's life short with learning their tuning skills I'd be rich!!!!

The spark plug vs. Glow plug.. Doesn't make tuning easier, consumes battery life adds weight... I can see why it didn't take off very well.

All of Traxxas nitro models were designed for the size and power of engine they were sold with. Going with more power would require driveline modifications at least. Many have done so with TMAXX and Revo models as well as others.

Yes I would like to see Traxxas come up with another nitro, but the cost of fuel, the complexity for the new to nitro people just cuts the market size of this down greatly...

It's all supply and demand and people want to get the RTR R/C from under the Christmas Tree and run it without having to figure out all the complexities of a nitro when you can basically charge and go.....
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    It's all supply and demand and people want to get the RTR R/C from under the Christmas Tree and run it without having to figure out all the complexities of a nitro when you can basically charge and go.....
    Yet these people still have issues with just that, and then blame the car/manufacturer, and don't read the manual. Lol

-Mike

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulous.cow View Post
    Maybe nitro would sell if they figured out fuel injection, but again, time/monetary investment they just can't do on a whim.
    Goes back to traxxas should try working with another company to develop an engine. YS engines has been using mechanical fuel injection for years in both 2 strokes and 4 strokes. Most of their engines have port injection, but some of their newest models have direct injection.

http://www.ysengines.us/

I own their fz53(.53 cubic inch 4-stroke) model and unlike glow engines with standard carbs, it always has the perfect tune at every throttle level(a nitro engine can have a rich top end and bottom end but still be lean at mid throttle), Holds a tune seemingly forever, doesn't care about fuel tank position/height, it is alway easy to start, it is more efficient than comparable engines, it has an insane amount of power, and the throttle response is out of this world. The downside is that at least their older engines like mine has a very steep learning curve for tuning, the fuel tank is pressurized to almost 10 psi, and the engines are very complex. Also it is an airplane engine with with weird parts sticking out from the bottom and back side, so I have yet found a way to effectively mount it to my Revo

I know that OS also made a limited production run of electronic fuel injected .91 4-stroke engines, But they required a complex external fuel and computer system, still needed manually tuned (you could do it from your remote!), and my measly .53 4- stroke produced near identical power to their .91.

Honestly one big problem is that many technologies that work at 15k rpm don't work at +35k rpm like in our model car engines. For example the fastest rc plane CDI ignition systems won't work faster than 20k rpm and even the specialy developed CDI for the dynamite gasoline .31 couldn't handle higher than 29,500 rpm. This is why it made peak power almost 10k rpm lower than the traxxas 2.5/3.3 engines. This also applys to both fuel injection and 4 stroke. So companies may need to start building engines that don't comply with ROAR and other racing regulations because the only way to compensate for a lower rpm is a bigger displacement as shown by the RC airplane world.
    Last edited by Bob2.0; 11-19-2020 at 07:27 PM.

I think you're very right, hit the nail on the head. If we made motors with more torque down low, all we'd need to do is change the gearing...

Those YS motors are cool, I had a 96SRX on my 700 helicopter back in the day. Pressurized fuel system also. Ran really nice, crazy power. But the fuel injected one, man, for $1500 lol it'd hurt to crash.

I don't know why it hasn't been done more, but what about maybe a parallel twin nitro engine for cars? We've seen vintage models with dual engines before, and even some new companies are making interesting standalone engines (for those of you who watch JohnnyQ90, you know exactly what Im talking about, and if you dont watch his channel, GO LOOK NOW.)

I bet like a parallel twin or even a V configuration engine with two .18 cylinders in it would be an animal on a 1/8 truck. We can get torque down lower out of 2 stroke by using multi-piston engine configurations. Seems not THAT much harder or expensive than normal nitro motors, and theres already a few multi-piston engines out there. If weight isn't a huge concern, it could be really good I think.

-Mike

RC Racer
    New thought: I have a 4-stroke lawn trimmer that is nearly as idiot proof as they come. In fact you can't even tune it.

So I think Traxxas needs to build a glorified 4-stroke 25cc lawn trimmer powered 1:7 scale rc vehicles. That way they need no tuning, no break in, they are quieter, run straight pump gas, and it would be nearly as stupid easy as electric. I do believe that the engines would need some modifications from their grass cutting counterparts like slightly larger valves, lighter crank cases, and maybe a slightly hotter timing to give them a little bit more power and save weight, But it should all be completely doable.

Quote Originally Posted by nebulous.cow View Post
    Yet these people still have issues with just that, and then blame the car/manufacturer, and don't read the manual. Lol

-Mike
    Almost everyone I've known over the years never got as many gallons through their first nitro as when they acquire the skill set of tuning... Even the book is a bit sketchy explaining it, this is why I wrote this Sticky in the FAQ section....
    Most people do not understand the relationship of the HSN and LSN, that they depend on each other. End up with 320 degree engines... Most end up with their engine being tortured for a gallon or so with the learning curve... It must be an OK sticky for still being there all these years and 145,00 views... https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ul-Tuning-tips
    All Lives Matter

Oh for sure, your sticky is excellent. My point was that there are thousands and thousands of rc cars in peoples' closets because they did that gallon of torture, started having overheating problems or it wouldn't stay running, and then they give up. And then they don't read the manual or come to the forum.

Every single member on here, active or not, at one point made the conscious decision to be willing to learn, willing to admit they are wrong, and willing to help others with questions.

Not detracting from your contribution in the slightest. Just pointing out that for the 145,000 people who looked at it and learned something, there is millions who refuse to even do a google search.

That's why nitro is getting unpopular. We're the weird ones, because we get it, lol.

I had a friend who saw my nitro stuff and really wanted to get into it, and he picked one up. And like most, he nuked the motor after a few gallons. He was willing to try and learn, but couldn't put in the effort to fix and learn when it came down to it. I was fixing his engine over and over, and he got out of it. Bummer. I got into nitro alone, as a 10 year old, and made all the expensive mistakes under the sun on my own.

Yet, there was not a more valuable experience possible. Guess my buddy didn't have the perseverance to make it past that stage.

-Mike

RC Racer
    Instead of making a new engine, how about improving the existing ones? The 3.3 needs a better carb, period. The LSN is too short to meter fuel in the midrange and the venturi is too small. Thats why the Losi or OS carb wakes these things up. Also install better bearings in the thing. If Traxxas was serious about nitro then they should develop a true 1/8 scale buggy platform and compete with Mugen and Losi. There are many people still racing 1/8 nitro. I think Traxxas is pretty much done with it and will let their nitro products die out, which is a shame IMO.

RC Racer
    Agreed, from someone who has modified a 3.3, it's amazing what you can do with one just by altering the sleeve and crank. So if they could come with those modifications from the factory plus a new carb like you said, it would be awesome.

Another option is that Traxxas could just use engines from other brands like all the other companies. If Traxxas could make a base model revo with a dynamite .26 it would be awesome and it shouldn't cost them much extra. Also if they could make a Revo 2.0 with bigger tires, longer and wider wheel base, new clipless body, and maybe a novarossi .28 engine, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob2.0 View Post
    Agreed, from someone who has modified a 3.3, it's amazing what you can do with one just by altering the sleeve and crank. So if they could come with those modifications from the factory plus a new carb like you said, it would be awesome.

Another option is that Traxxas could just use engines from other brands like all the other companies. If Traxxas could make a base model revo with a dynamite .26 it would be awesome and it shouldn't cost them much extra. Also if they could make a Revo 2.0 with bigger tires, longer and wider wheel base, new clipless body, and maybe a novarossi .28 engine, I would buy one in a heartbeat.
    Thing is, you drop a .26 or a .28 in a stock Revo there's other parts that are getting beat up more.....

OS used to sell their .18's and a few of their .21 small blocks that were signed by R.B. mods (not RB innovations!!!!).... Now, having a signature modified 3.3 (easily can be made .21) with high end exhaust, add Avid Revolutions series bearings (ceramics in the engine being part of it's mod).. Having options like this as well as Advanced Radio systems could help sales, but then again that's just a small part of the market compared to the Electrics now..... If Traxxas sold a setup like I mentioned, I'd be selling off some of my collectible R/C stuff in a heartbeat....
    All Lives Matter

RC Racer
    There has got to be some way to save nitro. I feel like most people under 25 don't realize that it exists or that a quality nitro can be somewhat reliable and enjoyable to run. I was running my short chassis revo 3.3 with my family member that got me into rc cars and he was fairly surprised that my Revo could nearly keep up with his 6s 1/8 scale that was designed to compete with the e-revo.(not sure if I can say the name of the car on this forum) At the same time his electric that he once viewed far more reliable than a nitro broke down twice. (he had a nitro a long time ago from a different company, but he couldn't get the engine to tune right and he kept eating up transmission bearings) Long story short, he is now looking at trying nitro again.
    Last edited by Bob2.0; 11-30-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob2.0 View Post
    There has got to be some way to save nitro. I feel like most people under 25 don't realize that it exists or that a quality nitro can be somewhat reliable and enjoyable to run. I was running my short chassis revo 3.3 with my family member that got me into rc cars and he was fairly surprised that my Revo could nearly keep up with his 6s 1/8 scale that was designed to compete with the e-revo.(not sure if I can say the name of the car on this forum) At the same time his electric that he once viewed far more reliable than a nitro broke down twice. (he had a nitro a long time ago from a different company, but he couldn't get the engine to tune right and he kept eating up transmission bearings) Long story short, he is now looking at trying nitro again.
    Umm, Save nitro? READ MY NAME!!!!!! I LOVE NITRO!!! The E.P.A. does not!!!! The fuel is getting harder to get, the prices for the fuel are getting harder, neighbors don't like the noise.... But a quiet electric flying by at the same speeds or faster they are fine with...
    All Lives Matter