RC poster

Question Can I convert my 4WD slash into a 2WD by taking out the center driveshaft?

Hey, I've been thinking on how to get more drifting out of my new slash. It is the basemodel, 4WD Brushed version with the XL5 ESC and Titan 12T motor. Can I remove the center driveshaft to drift, or will that cause problems? Thanks

Yes, you can definitely do that. If you want the front wheels to spin more freely, you can also remove the front driveshafts.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    So it won't damage anything?

No, nothing will be damaged. By removing the driveshafts, you are just disconnecting the front wheels from the motor.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    Okay, cool thank you very much

Yes, you can, and it is fairly easy. While removing the center driveshaft is the first step, there is more to it than just removing the front driveshafts, as mentioned by RCWilly.

One option is to remove the front axles/CVDs, disassemble them, and use the axle stub to hold the wheels to the carriers. That's the easiest route. There's no added cost, but there is added time on your part.

The second option is to replace the front axles/CVDs with parts intended for the 2WD Rustler/Bandit/Stampede. I don't know the exact part numbers, so you'd have to either figures that out yourself, or how they someone what chimes in with the part numbers. While this route adds some cost to the 'conversion', the cost should be fairly minimal...plus, it also reduces rotational mass at the front end.

Additionally, if you also wanted to lighten the front end, you should remove the front bullhead, remove the front differential & pinion gear from the bullhead, and then reinstall the bullhead to the chassis. This will remove several ounces from the front of the vehicle. At minimum, remove the pinion gear.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Champion
    I always wanted to do this years ago when I was racing my slash at my local track. Make it a mid motor 2wd if you will. I never did it and just ended up with a slash 2wd. Let us know how it works out for you

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I once broke both of my front drive shafts. I got a 2wd slash from that

Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    I once broke both of my front drive shafts. I got a 2wd slash from that
    I guess that's fine way of "accomplishing" the goal - crash it over & over, until you break both front axles, and you get yourself a 2WD vehicle...lol

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Probably a good idea to beef up the rear diff because all that extra weight of the 4wd platform (minus the front drive shafts, center drive shaft and maybe front diff) is now relying on the rear diff to speed up and slow down.

I did this with the Stampede 4x4 that I built as a casual project, mostly from spare parts. I didn't have a spare front differential or a spare center drive-shaft so I left those components out and used it as a 2wd truck for a month or so. It worked fine.