RC Competitor

Vxl 6s blinking red

My Vxl 6s has a problem where the left big led light blinks red once then twice then three and then four and it repeats. Also when I plug in the batteries it turns on without me pressing the button. I asked traxxas what they thought the problem was and they said that it was stuck in a selection loop and I had to send it in and “warranty” it for 70$ which I do not want to do.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Maybe try checking to see if the EZ-SET button is stuck down. You could try blowing air around the button to get out any debris that could be in there.

RC Competitor
    That’s not the problem

The button clicks just fine

RC Competitor
    Fixed the problem

I just blew it with a hair dryer because I was driving it in snow(sorry if I did not make that clear).

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikemort View Post
    Fixed the problem

I just blew it with a hair dryer because I was driving it in snow(sorry if I did not make that clear).
    They’re water resistant. Not waterproof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RC Competitor
    Well i know it’s not water proof but it is in the spot where the least amount of any water got

The VXL-6s ESC is waterproof. Link to VXL-6s:traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/vxl6s

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    The VXL-6s ESC is waterproof. Link to VXL-6s:traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/vxl6s
    And yet it died and needed to dry out. Resistant

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dbestfromclovis View Post

...and I speak of the system. The whole truck got wet. Resistant

It could have been snow/ice under the power button?

I'm not sure what your trying to get at? The electronics setup are waterproof. The truck itself needs maintenance (bearings,tires,diffs,tranny) as those are not. Are you trying to say that Traxxas is making a false claim in their advertising? I've submerged mine multiple times and have had no issues.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 11-16-2020 at 09:31 AM.

I'm not sure what your trying to get at? The electronics setup are waterproof. The truck itself needs maintenance (bearings,tires,diffs,tranny) as those are not. Are you trying to say that Traxxas is making a false claim in their advertising? I've submerged mine multiple times and have had no issues.
    Many people have, myself included. I'm wondering if it could be a defect or if there was possible damage to the ESC that allowed water to seep in. Either way I would watch out for water from now on (that includes snow).
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

Another possible conclusion is that since you are driving it in such cold conditions the waterproofing seals on the ESC were to cold to do their job properly and allowed water to seep in, though one would think that Traxxas thought of conditions like this.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    Another possible conclusion is that since you are driving it in such cold conditions the waterproofing seals on the ESC were to cold to do their job properly and allowed water to seep in, though one would think that Traxxas thought of conditions like this.
    There you go

RC Racer

Unless you’ve prepped your drivetrain for water (clean and re-pack w/marine grease), it’s gonna rust and I wouldn’t trust the stock grease in the drivetrain after my UDR was COMPLETELY underwater.
    I have a scaler and I wouldn’t put that underwater. Why? No marine grease.
    Sorry I upset you. But I’ve been in this hobby longer than you and I’ve been there and done it. And it sucks when you discover it too late. And it’ll frustrate you to point of giving it up. Just advice from an old geezer RCer

Unless you’ve prepped your drivetrain for water (clean and re-pack w/marine grease), it’s gonna rust and I wouldn’t trust the stock grease in the drivetrain after my UDR was COMPLETELY underwater.
    I have a scaler and I wouldn’t put that underwater. Why? No marine grease.
    Sorry I upset you. But I’ve been in this hobby longer than you and I’ve been there and done it. And it sucks when you discover it too late. And it’ll frustrate you to point of giving it up. Just advice from an old geezer RCer
    Hench the reason I said "The truck itself needs maintenance (bearings,tires,diffs,tranny) as those are not."

This thread was about the ESC VXL-6s and not turning on. So I'm lost at why you changed it to the vehicles drive-train? Or entire vehicle? Those parts don't help it turn on. While I don't have a UDR I have others that I have submerged and with minor maintenance are still going strong.

Not sure why being in the hobby longer has any relevance as to helping. The OP asked for help and instead of a productive comment your answer to a call for help came off as sarcasm. Helpful advice to the question from an old RCer would have been useful.

RC Racer
    Hench the reason I said "The truck itself needs maintenance (bearings,tires,diffs,tranny) as those are not."

This thread was about the ESC VXL-6s and not turning on. So I'm lost at why you changed it to the vehicles drive-train? Or entire vehicle? Those parts don't help it turn on. While I don't have a UDR I have others that I have submerged and with minor maintenance are still going strong.

Not sure why being in the hobby longer has any relevance as to helping. The OP asked for help and instead of a productive comment your answer to a call for help came off as sarcasm. Helpful advice to the question from an old RCer would have been useful.
    I’m outta here...

RC Competitor
    Honestly I think that traxxas makes many false claims about their electronics

Honestly I think that traxxas makes many false claims about their electronics
    I wouldn't say false claims, they are just good a deception. If you read the manual of your vehicle it specifically states that nothing is completely waterproof and that you should take care of your vehicles accordingly. See page 24 in the manual.

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R02.pdf

RC Competitor
    Well then it should say “sometimes waterproof” on the box.

Well then it should say “sometimes waterproof” on the box.
    Sometimes waterproof doesn't sell, if you ask me I think that Traxxas marketing is the reason that they are the number 1 RC company in the world.

RC Competitor
    Well, they have some pretty good YouTube videos but they show you that they can go on water but then you do it and you screw up your esc and the best they can do is warranty a 180$ esc for 70$ so it’s really not even a warranty so it really is false advertising.

Well, they have some pretty good YouTube videos but they show you that they can go on water but then you do it and you screw up your esc and the best they can do is warranty a 180$ esc for 70$ so it’s really not even a warranty so it really is false advertising.
    The warranty is only really to cover production defects, I would be happy to get any discount at that point.

RC Competitor
    I see what you are talking about but they need to make that more clear. I had some warranty problems and they just didn’t want to warranty any of it. It also annoys me that they don’t make good replacement parts that are actually affordable. They make 130$ medal trailing arms and I bought some 15$ rpm ones and have had absolutely no problems with them. It also annoys me that they make 1000$ trucks and give you these unreliable plastic parts then start making 50$ medal ones. Traxxas needs to be more clear about a lot of things. They market all of these trucks as these super premium rc cars but then you buy them and you find all of these little design flaws.

I see what you are talking about but they need to make that more clear. I had some warranty problems and they just didn’t want to warranty any of it. It also annoys me that they don’t make good replacement parts that are actually affordable. They make 130$ medal trailing arms and I bought some 15$ rpm ones and have had absolutely no problems with them. It also annoys me that they make 1000$ trucks and give you these unreliable plastic parts then start making 50$ medal ones. Traxxas needs to be more clear about a lot of things. They market all of these trucks as these super premium rc cars but then you buy them and you find all of these little design flaws.
    It's a big company, everything they sell/market has been thoroughly thought through. As for their warranty and what it overs, I haven't seen a specific pattern or rule they follow, you would have to talk to someone at Traxxas to see what is considered as being covered under warranty.

RC Competitor
    I did talk to traxxas but one guy said they would maybe cover the body in warranty but he wouldn’t tell me. Another guy said they don’t warranty any driving damage. They should also make it very clear what they do warranty and what they don’t.

I did talk to traxxas but one guy said they would maybe cover the body in warranty but he wouldn’t tell me. Another guy said they don’t warranty any driving damage. They should also make it very clear what they do warranty and what they don’t.
    I agree with you on that, a lot of companies are the same way (I'm looking at you Bose). The only company that I know of that is really good about warranties is Sony, they have been nothing but good to me in terms of refunds, and exchanges.