RC poster

Aftermarket Center Driveshaft for Rustler 4x4 VXL?

Was looking at the Tekno Big Bone but that is for the Slash 4x4 and given the different center driveshaft lengths I assume it wonít fit the Rustler 4x4.

Anyone know of any aftermarket center driveshaft options for the Rustler 4x4?

GPM Racing madness one, available in different colors. The middle is similar, being a hollow aluminum "tube", but it had stainless steel ends. There's also another one...solid, with dogbone ends (see link, below)...available on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Rus....m46890.l49292

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC poster
    Thanks - that EBay one looks very Similar to the tekno one.

Anyone try the EBay one?

I guess for 20 bucks it’s worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Machetero View Post
    Was looking at the Tekno Big Bone but that is for the Slash 4x4 and given the different center driveshaft lengths I assume it won’t fit the Rustler 4x4.

Anyone know of any aftermarket center driveshaft options for the Rustler 4x4?
    I believe the Traxxas Rally uses the same center driveshaft as the Rustler 4x4, you might want to look that up on amazon or something.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

Thanks - that EBay one looks very Similar to the tekno one.
    Essentially, it's identical to the Tekno unit...just Rustler 4x4 length.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

RC poster
    I'll give the eBay one a try...I don't like the movement in the aluminum Traxxas one. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    I believe the Traxxas Rally uses the same center driveshaft as the Rustler 4x4, you might want to look that up on amazon or something.
    No, it does not

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    GPM Racing madness one, available in different colors. The middle is similar, being a hollow aluminum "tube", but it had stainless steel ends. There's also another one...solid, with dogbone ends (see link, below)...available on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Rus....m46890.l49292

I have that one and it’s in my queue to get installed. It’s just a copy of the tekno one that was made for awhile for the Rustl4r but tekno no longer carries the Rustl4r so I ended up buying this one.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I have that one and itís in my queue to get installed. Itís just a copy of the tekno one that was made for awhile for the Rustl4r but tekno no longer carries the Rustl4r so I ended up buying this one.
    Installed it in my one of my 2 Rustys a little over a year ago. It's a HUGE improvement over the stock center driveshaft.

RC Qualifier
    Installed it in my one of my 2 Rustys a little over a year ago. It's a HUGE improvement over the stock center driveshaft.

Did you need to shave any material off the front chassis underside that the Sl4sh lcg need when using tekno center driveshaft?

No, it does not
    I just looked up the images of both cassis and they are so close to being the same yet they are so different from each other. I wonder why Traxxas designed an entirely new chassis when they have a perfectly good one already in use. I guess minor improvements make a big difference.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

Did you need to shave any material off the front chassis underside that the Sl4sh lcg need when using tekno center driveshaft?
    Not at all. Once the ends were attached to the front/rear pinions, the replacement center driveshaft slid right into place. The only "adjustment" I had to do was replace the O-rings with a couple short pieces of gas line tubing.

Without the O-rings, the center driveshaft slides forward/rearward so much, it could come out. Installing 1-2 O-rings into each cup is supposed to resolve that...but, it doesn't. I found that 3 O-rings in each worked best, but I was worried the O-rings could come out. So, I replaced the O-rings with shower pieces of silicone tubing, which haven't come out.

RC poster
    I purchased the dogbone-style eBay driveshaft listed above and installed this morning. Was not happy with it. Used 2 o-rings in each cup and when I put the front end back on and tried to drive the noise coming from the driveshaft was much worse than the stock driveshaft.

I purchased the dogbone-style eBay driveshaft listed above and installed this morning. Was not happy with it. Used 2 o-rings in each cup and when I put the front end back on and tried to drive the noise coming from the driveshaft was much worse than the stock driveshaft.
    Part of that might be (more like, probably is) because you only installed 2 O-rings at each end. As I said in my previous post, it actually took 3 in each end. Plus, I've since come up with a better solution (as the O-rings can fall out), which was to replace the O-rings with short pieces of fuel tubing. Now, there's no O-rings to fall out, thus the center driveshaft can't fall out...plus, it's quieter.

RC Qualifier
    Part of that might be (more like, probably is) because you only installed 2 O-rings at each end. As I said in my previous post, it actually took 3 in each end. Plus, I've since come up with a better solution (as the O-rings can fall out), which was to replace the O-rings with short pieces of fuel tubing. Now, there's no O-rings to fall out, thus the center driveshaft can't fall out...plus, it's quieter..

I bet you are right. The fore-aft play contributes a great deal to the noise. Just look at arrma, there is a whole cottage industry of customer fabricators who make upgrade center drive shafts for arrmas to deal with the noise and harmonic vibration caused by the sloppy-ish fit of their stock set up