RC poster

Traxxas upgrading and reselling?

Iíve been looking for a hobby for in the evenings after work because by the time I get home itís dark and cold and I donít feel like doing something outside. It would be kinda cool if there was something I could do and make a little money off of. I had an idea: would it work to buy a new traxxas, spend some money upgrading/ customizing it, and then resell it? I kinda think that by the time I bought one and put all the money into it, nobody would want to buy it because it would be too expensive. Say I start with a maxx. Thatís 500 bucks right there. If I spend 300 or more upgrading it then the cost for reselling it would probably be at least 900 with shipping and everything included. I doubt it would work but I want to hear what you all have to say before giving the idea up.

Doing that while buying "new", you'll probably lose money. Only way you might (ie. not guaranteed) make any money is to find used RCs at swap meets, and rebuild them. Granted, there are already several who do this...including some with very well-known YouTube channels...so, the best thing would probably be too contact them, first, and get some input. HarleyDesigns, and Mark Santa Maria are two examples.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    I would think you would have to find something dirt cheap to make any money off it. If you sell on ebay by the time you pay all the fees there goes half your profit. And dpn't goof up on shipping costs. Been there, done that. Biggest profit margin i see right now is the drag cars, Put some different wheels/tires and a body on a stock Slash 2wd and mark it up $300

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-Traxxa...4AAOSwHpZfsZve What about something like this? I can’t tell for sure all the parts it would need but it looks to be in good condition and it’s a good price.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cavemanmatt View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-Traxxa...4AAOSwHpZfsZve What about something like this? I canít tell for sure all the parts it would need but it looks to be in good condition and itís a good price.
    Looks like a new E Revo stripped for it's wheels/tires and electronics. They sell new for $600.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Ya idk it probably wouldn’t really work that good. But it would be nice to have some sort of good hobby for the winter evenings instead of just being a couch potato. My hobbies are mountain biking, which I can’t do in the dark, driving rc, which I can’t do in the dark either ( I guess I could if I got a light bar but it would still be cold), and making hommade fireworks, which I’m taking a break from till spring cause it’s expensive and it’s cold out in the shop. So I’m sitting here trying to think of something else to do cause my screen time is way too high.

RC Racer
    Not promoting one way or the other just recently saw this article..some people make it work...

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...eur-1.33766265

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

There is a very small market for what you are proposing, and not many will pay above retail for something that has been opened. There are very few RCs that gain any value after you open the box, most instantly lose about 50% of their value. What you consider "upgrade" parts might not have any value to a buyer. Overall you are likely to lose money.

One of the few RC niches that actually gain value after they have been taken out of the box is RC construction and semi equipment. A King Hauler kit is a good example, depending on the model, a kit will run between $400 - 500. You put it together and paint it up and will will fetch around $700 as a roller. And, this is one of the few niches of RC were upgrade parts will actually add value (the right parts).
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

The one thing I could think of is doing custom bodies, even that there is not much profit. Most do it because they enjoy doing it and make enough to pay for their passion.

Buying any new R/C and upgrading it is not going to be profitable. Most people in this hobby serious enough to want upgrades usually do their research and do their own work. There are so many so called upgrades out there that are junk as well.

Then there's warrantees on a new product that people usually want. Hop up parts aren't warranteed by the mfr. So you may have issues with that as well.

Myself, I'll never buy an already hopped up new R/C. For all the reasons above.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Agreed that you are talking about a minuscule market. For the most part, the people who would appreciate the upgrades are also the same people who would simply perform the upgrades themselves. Most everyone else just would just notice the increased price.