RC Competitor

Mini E-revo overheating on 3s. Please help

Please help with some advice

I bought the brushed version, and upgraded it to the VXL. Bought all the necessary upgrades. Keep in mind I converted to VXL straight out of the box.

The gearing was changed to the stock settings as specified in the manual. 28 pinion and 50 Spur. ( The brushed comes with 23 pinion and 50 spur)

I hardly drive for 4-5 mins, grass and tar, and the motor is super hot and the ESC even more....
    The gear mesh is 100% correct. I do not have a heat sink or fans...

Does anyone else had a similar problem? and advise?

Also i was hoping to run the car on 4s ( 2 x 2s lipos) but now this doesnt seems doable at all? I know on 4s you have to reduce to 23T pinion according to the manual.

I must add my temp surroungs is 25-30 degrees celcius...

Sounds like you need to gear down. 28/50 is way too high! That's for use with included NiMh battery or when using 2s.

I run mine on 3s but it is geared down more than the manual suggests. I think it is 18/50 with an added cooling fan for the motor. Also you might be having issues with driving in grass. If the grass is tall your going to have issues. These vehicles where not designed for the same terrain as the bigger vehicles. Temps on your ESC and motor are going to dictate your final gearing.

Also not sure where your getting where it says you can run 4s. The VXL-3m with 380 motor is rated at 3s max.

RC Competitor
    Thnx very much. I'm gonna order 23T and 18 or 19T. I'll see what my hobby shop has. Plus they said the standard VXL setup can take 4s. Guess that's wrong.

I really want to ride 3s. Don't mind little less top speed. What would say would top speed be more or less with low gearing as above and 3s?

Quote Originally Posted by Degald View Post
    Thnx very much. I'm gonna order 23T and 18 or 19T. I'll see what my hobby shop has. Plus they said the standard VXL setup can take 4s. Guess that's wrong.

I really want to ride 3s. Don't mind little less top speed. What would say would top speed be more or less with low gearing as above and 3s?
    What VXL ESC are you talking about? Traxxas calls some of their ESC's with some sort of VXL prefix.
    The VXL-8s is rated at 8s, VXL-6s rated at 6s, VXL-4s rated at 4s, the VXL-3s & VXL-3m rated at 3s.

Here is a site that can show different speeds with different setups. Gearing,Voltage,tires, etc.
    https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

RC Qualifier
    I found that I couldn't drive 3s very long without some sort of fan/heat sink. Simple heatsinks didn't really do the job either for extended 3s runs. So I could plug and play without worrying at all about temps, I added fans to both the motor and esc like below:

As a warning, I found that the ESC couldn’t power the fans, so now I run two batteries- one for the fans and one for the truck - gave me a reason to use the nimh battery that came with it.
    Last edited by halygon; 11-16-2020 at 02:41 PM.

RC Competitor
    So my 22, 20 and 18T pinion will arrive tomorrow with the heatsink and fans. Let's see what happens...

I'm thinking of running 2 leads out of the receiver to power the 2 fans....output should be 6V....

Also the batteries unused had very thin leads....and I think that forms part of the problem...I'm getting the correct battery tomorrow as well...

RC Qualifier
    So my 22, 20 and 18T pinion will arrive tomorrow with the heatsink and fans. Let's see what happens...

I'm thinking of running 2 leads out of the receiver to power the 2 fans....output should be 6V....

Also the batteries unused had very thin leads....and I think that forms part of the problem...I'm getting the correct battery tomorrow as well...
    If you are using the VXL-3m ESC... The receiver gains power through the ESC, which will not give enough power to power two fans and the receiver/servo. This is the problem I ran into. It powered one fan ok, but not two. When I made the connector and plugged the fans into the 7.4v nimh battery directly, not only did the servo pep up, the fans also ran much faster as a side effect of more voltage.

Please help with some advice

I bought the brushed version, and upgraded it to the VXL. Bought all the necessary upgrades. Keep in mind I converted to VXL straight out of the box.

The gearing was changed to the stock settings as specified in the manual. 28 pinion and 50 Spur. ( The brushed comes with 23 pinion and 50 spur)

I hardly drive for 4-5 mins, grass and tar, and the motor is super hot and the ESC even more....
    The gear mesh is 100% correct. I do not have a heat sink or fans...

Does anyone else had a similar problem? and advise?

Also i was hoping to run the car on 4s ( 2 x 2s lipos) but now this doesnt seems doable at all? I know on 4s you have to reduce to 23T pinion according to the manual.

I must add my temp surroungs is 25-30 degrees celcius...
    I am wondering why you didn't use the original setup to mount a 1/10th scale brushless setup? That would of avoided the heat issues from the beginning. That is the route I went and have no need for any fans at all.

RC Qualifier
    after years with mine, i determined 3s + grass just doesnt work. regardless of your tires or gearing, this car was not made for grass on 3s, its just too hard on the motor. if im bored ill run 3s on pavement for fun, but 2s is the sweet spot for this car imo