RC Competitor

Question Are VG Racing springs too stiff for Stampede??

I've been seeing a bunch of guys who seem to love the stiffer VG Racing springs for their Stampede 4x4.......so I got on ebay, and bought a set of them.

Maybe it's just me.....but I like the rear A-arms on my truck to be pretty flat and level when the truck is at rest....that way I have even amounts of up and down travel on the suspension. With these VG Racing springs, even with no spacers in the shocks......the all arms are full down, maxed out. It's like they are way too stiff.....

I guess they would be great if you were trying to land huge massive jumps, but other than that....they just seem way to stiff. I think I'm going to go back to the factory white Traxxas springs........what good is your suspension if you have no down travel because your springs are way too stiff?

Who's running these things? Am I doing something wrong? Or do you just like your suspension at full down travel all the time unless you are landing a big jump??

Any info would be great!

IMO the VG springs are way to stiff for a stock Stampede that it not purpose built for racing. This is just my opinion so take with a grain of salt.

I use VG springs in my Monster Slash 4x4 with 8th scale power and an extreme duty driveline. It is a much heavier rig now so the VG spring work well in that setup.
    Last edited by zedorda; 11-17-2020 at 03:47 PM.

RC Competitor
    The only way I could see them working well would be if you were running all kinds of heavy 1/8 type gear..and the truck weighted a ton......for a stock-ish truck, they are just way too stiff. What's the point of a suspension when it's so stiff and maxed out that you can only get it to compress when you land a 10ft jump??

Too bad someone doesn't make a progressive rate spring that's light like the factory spring at the first half of the compression.....and then progressively gets harder past that. That way you can have smooth articulation when you are flying over gravel and dirt....but still be able to land big jumps without completely bottoming out .

I think I'm going to put the factory Traxxas springs back in.

I've had the vg's on mine for quite some time with the GTR shocks and VDK in them drilled out to 1/16" and 70wt oil. They didn't seem to stiff to me even when I ran 1/10 electronics... but I do tend to jump a lot and wanted the extra spring. If anything though, then felt soft compared to what I had on there, which were integy t-maxx springs I had laying around.

Now that I have a slash chassis and 1/8th electronics adding more weight, they still feel overly soft, but I'm to lazy to mess with them.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

I'm with olds97, I have a 10lb. Slash and like my VG Racing sprung GTRs with VDK (1/16"x4 w/ 80wt), and yes, they are progressive rate springs. They are just designed for a Slash 4x4 running their heavy roll cage.

If you want, Hot Racing also sells sets of progressive rate springs (soft, medium and firm) for the Stampede 4x4. Maybe one of them will have the softer rate you are looking for:
    https://hot-racing.com/?c=603_Traxxas_Stampede_4x4_VXL

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein