RC Competitor

Will GTR shocks work on a 2wd slash?

Can I make any of the models fit my 2wd slash? Thanks!

RC Champion
    Absolutely! GTR's for the Slash 4x4. I ran stock black springs front and rear with 40 weight Losi oil on all 4 corners. It's the best my truck ever drove. They are on my Stampede 4x4 now.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Yes, the GTR shocks will fit on the 2wd Slash, you will have to switch the ball in the lower rod end out of your old front shock to the new GTR front shock to get them to fit in the front control arm. Be sure NOT to buy GTR shocks for a Revo, Slayer or anything else other than a Slash as they are much shorter and will not work.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Michiganmisfit7 View Post
    Can I make any of the models fit my 2wd slash? Thanks!
    These should fit on the front.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7461X

And these should fit the rear.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7462X

I went off of Traxxas's classification, the specs on the Slash indicate that the front uses Long shocks while the rear uses XXLong shocks.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys! Will these desert racer shocks work?
    https://www.smalladdictionsrc.com/tr...-racer-blue-2/
    Last edited by Michiganmisfit7; 11-17-2020 at 09:51 PM.

RC Competitor
    Hey guys will these shocks from her desert race work do you know?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    These should fit on the front.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7461X

And these should fit the rear.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7462X

I went off of Traxxas's classification, the specs on the Slash indicate that the front uses Long shocks while the rear uses XXLong shocks.
    That's them! And as you can see they do not come with springs. Anything else you need is in the package and I believe there is a bottle of 40w oil also. GTR springs are much larger diameter than the Ultra or Big Bore shocks. I have not tried any non Traxxas springs on GTR shocks that I have used. Your spring choice will depend on your intended use, don't go with too stiff of a spring if you want to turn without flipping over.

RC Qualifier
    I don't know of that part # but if "desert racer" means UDR i would say no.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, i just read the rest of the listing. Those are UDR shocks, they would be much longer than the GTR XXL shocks. They wouldn't fit without modifications like taller shock towers. Even then i've never tried it myself. I did build a Slash with Stampede arms and extended shock mounts using Yeti shocks.

RC Competitor
    Okay man. Thanks so much. You can find them much more reasonable so I had high hopes lol

RC Qualifier
    Okay man. Thanks so much. You can find them much more reasonable so I had high hopes lol
    Yes, that is a good price.

The ones on the UDR are waaay too long. You need the Long for the front and XXLong for the rear. If you look on eBay, there are a few sets that sell at fair prices, that are removed from new Slash 4x4 Ultimates (same GTR shocks)

There's a set of used ones (I would avoid it, unless your budget is very limited): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Rus...IAAOSwdpRfsypT

Here's two more links to new ones (removed from new Slash 4x4 Ultimates):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SLASH-4x4-U...kAAOSwlAFb3H3~

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-1-10-Trax...sAAOSwhU5fEkgP
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Competitor
    Okay man. I'm not gonna buy used ones. Gonna get gtr x long in the front and xx long in the rear as ya'll suggested. Now to find springs. I can get the whole set new on amazing for about the cost if the used ones. Which is sketchy cause who knows what they were doing with them. I appreciate all of your help. Ya'll rock!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    The ones on the UDR are waaay too long. You need the Long for the front and XXLong for the rear. If you look on eBay, there are a few sets that sell at fair prices, that are removed from new Slash 4x4 Ultimates (same GTR shocks)

There's a set of used ones (I would avoid it, unless your budget is very limited): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Rus...IAAOSwdpRfsypT

The shocks on the bottom ad from eBay are new. The seller is very reputable and I've bought many things from this guy, Lumidave. And the shocks come with black Springs.

Jennys also has the blue ones for the Ultimate (3 sets available right now):
    https://jennysrc.com/collections/sla...raxxas-68077-4

They are out of the plain ones for the Platinum.

Jenny is a great supplier has never let me down yet!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Okay man. I'm not gonna buy used ones. Gonna get gtr x long in the front and xx long in the rear as ya'll suggested. Now to find springs. I can get the whole set new on amazing for about the cost if the used ones. Which is sketchy cause who knows what they were doing with them. I appreciate all of your help. Ya'll rock!
    It should be Long in the front and XXLong in the rear, Not XLong in the front.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

The bottom two links I posted are new ones. The reason they are so cheap is that they are removed from new models (Slash 4x4 Ultimate). If you want to buy them separately, the front is only Long and the rear is XXLong. For the springs, TLR TENSCTE springs fit great. I run the red TLR springs in the front and orange TLR springs in the rear (on my Slash 4x4, they are fairly soft)

RC Qualifier
    Last night on my Integy "Pro-Line Pro2 copy" chassis I used the GTR shocks off a Slayer/Revo on the front, changed from the super stiff Slayer/Revo springs to the double green stripe GTR springs. The only problem is the shoulder bolts are a loose fit in the shock caps but other than that I think they"ll work.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Thanks everyone!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Jennys also has the blue ones for the Ultimate (3 sets available right now):
    https://jennysrc.com/collections/sla...raxxas-68077-4

They are out of the plain ones for the Platinum.

Jenny is a great supplier has never let me down yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post

Listen to these guys. Those links are from jennyrc including the eBay ones. The take off from the current ultimate is not only cheaper but also comes with the rod end with the screws that don’t hop off and also comes with springs.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Listen to these guys. Those links are from jennyrc including the eBay ones. The take off from the current ultimate is not only cheaper but also comes with the rod end with the screws that donít hop off and also comes with springs.
    Probably the best deal you're going to find with springs no less. I would score on the ones on eBay with springs before they're gone. Stuff like that doesn't last long

RC Competitor
    So they are only listed as used because they took them off a platinum? They've never been ran though? That's awesome man! Are they long and xx long? Thanks!

So they are only listed as used because they took them off a platinum? They've never been ran though? That's awesome man! Are they long and xx long? Thanks!
    Yes, they are listed as used because they are taken off a new model, the shocks are new, and they are long and xx long.

RC Competitor
    Awesome thank ya

Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    Yes, the GTR shocks will fit on the 2wd Slash, you will have to switch the ball in the lower rod end out of your old front shock to the new GTR front shock to get them to fit in the front control arm. Be sure NOT to buy GTR shocks for a Revo, Slayer or anything else other than a Slash as they are much shorter and will not work.

In regards to the Revo (also for XO-1) GTR shocks, TRA5460, and those for the Slash, TRA7461, does anyone know what the extended & compressed lengths are for BOTH shocks? Traxxas doesn't publish this info, and finding it online is extremely difficult...at one point, I find the extended length of TRA7461, but I've never found the compressed length, nor could I find any lengths for TRA5460.

Also, to in regards to both shocks (TRA7461 & TRA5460), does anyone know which Losi springs fit? Not asking about spring rates, just which springs will physically fit. I understand (as pointed out by others) that the Front Tuning Set LOSB2959, should fit the Slash (TRA7461) GTRs. However, as for the Revo/XO-1 GTRs, I currently have no ideas.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Last edited by Panther6834; 11-26-2020 at 01:29 PM.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

X0-1 manual says:
    The shocks are assembled at the factory with a center-to-center distance (between the rod end balls) of 87mm front and 83mm rear.

E-Revo 2.0 manual says:
    The shocks are assembled at the factory with a center-to-center distance (between the rod end balls) of 87mm.

Neither manual gives the compressed lengths.

Have fun and have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Neither manual gives the compressed lengths.
    I've measured the shocks at around 63mm compressed with just shock end. Hope it helps.
    This is without the blue bump stops.

EDIT: 66mm with the spring spring retainer
    Last edited by grizzly03; 11-26-2020 at 02:17 PM.

I just dug out my bag of shocks and measured about 68mm compressed with the blue bump stop.

Panther: What lengths are you hoping to acheive?
    Last edited by Squeegie; 11-26-2020 at 02:37 PM.

I just dug out my bag of shocks and measured about 68mm compressed with the blue bump stop.

Panther: What lengths are you hoping to acheive?
    Approx 75mm...possibly slightly longer in the rear and/or slightly shorter in the front. These are for a Slash/Bandit-based No-Prep drag car. Options would be using the 'front' (ie. "Long") Slash GTRs at all four corners...or, using a combination of the 'front' Slash GTRs & Revo/XO-1 GTRs.

However, in further searching, I've discovered a "conflict" in the reported length of the Revo XO-1 GTRs. Some have said they're shorter than the 'front' Slash GTRs, while other people have said they're longer...so, now I'm confused. Are the Revo/XO-1 GTRs (TRA5460) longer, or shorter, than the 'front' Slash GTRs (TRA7461)???

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

In my street rig, I run Arrma Limitless 6s shocks front and rear. They are 79mm front and 85mm rear. The bodies are larger and you need to run them with standoffs:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6551141

In my street rig, I run Arrma Limitless 6s shocks front and rear. They are 79mm front and 85mm rear. The bodies are larger and you need to run them with standoffs.
    Unfortunately, I have a feeling that those might be too large in diameter. I was torn between the Traxxas Big Bore & GTR, and the Pro-Line ProSpec.

While the Big Bore are lighter, they also use clips for adjusting preload, which is why I eliminated them. Between the ProSpec & GTR, it's more of a personal matter. While the ProSpec is nice, smooth, and slightly thinner (I used to have them on my Rustler, until I switched to some Lodi shocks (and gave the ProSpecs to my step-dad, for his Slash), I've read, and heard, how smooth the GTR is. I also like the metal body-plastic cap combo, as opposed to the all-metal of the ProSpec, and all-plastic of the Big Bore & Ultra.

Even though the GTR is slightly larger in diameter (compared to the Big Bore & ProSpec), I'm 99% certain they'll fit (I have Delrin spacers, which I'd use as standoffs). Right now, it's just a matter of determining whether, or not, the Revo/XO-1 GTRs are usable (ie. the extended & compressed lengths), and whether they're longer, or shorter, than the 'front' Slash GTRs...and, if they are usable, what springs (Losi, if possible) will work with them.

I guess just get the GTRs and do the internal fuel tube mod to get it were you like.

Good luck!

I guess just get the GTRs and do the internal fuel tube mod to get it were you like.

Good luck!
    That's what is looking like...I was just trying to figure a way of not having to internally limit them, at least for the shocks in front...for the rear, it's ok.. While it does shorten the extended length (a 'good' thing), it also shortens the travel length ('bad' thing). The 75mm length I previously mentioned is the estimated length of the shocks when the vehicle is in its natural "resting" position.

With a drag car, the rear will never "lift", only "squat"...thus, the 'extended' length doesn't matter as much as the 'compressed' & 'travel' lengths. At the front end, while there's some "squat" when the nose returns to the ground, the more important aspect is when the nose "lifts"...thus, the 'extended' & 'travel' length matter more than the 'compressed' length.

RC Qualifier
    I measured my Revo/Slayer shocks, 87mm extended, 70.5mm compressed, no bumper. These are center to center measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I measured my Revo/Slayer shocks, 87mm extended, 70.5mm compressed, no bumper. These are center to center measurements.

Based on that, it sounds like they ARE longer than the Slash's front 'Long' GTRs...but, are still shorter than the rear 'XXL' GTRs.