RC poster

Help picking out new rc for son

So I'll just start off saying I was big into this hobby about 10 years ago now when I was young. Had everything from a stampede, rustler, couple different e-maxx's a 3.3 revo 2.5 jato and a few non traxxas. The last one i bought was a 4x4 vxl slash bought new sometime around 2011. I have hung onto it and in the last 6 months got back into it by making the switch to lipo and upgrading a few things on the truck. I have a 4 1/2 year old son and this summer I bought him a latrax teton along with an extra battery and metal gear servo. Long story short I stuck too much into it and have burnt through multiple motors, a rear diff gear set, rear axle and now it seems the esc is fried. It just doesn't work for the type of terrain we run on. So I'm looking to sell that and either buy him something else for Christmas or buy myself something new and turn my slash over to him. He's driven my slash at full power on a 2s and is getting the hang of it pretty good. Trucks I am considering are

4x4 vxl stampede
    4x4 vxl rustler
    Hoss
    Or possibly a maxx but if I do it would likely be for me.

Just curious your guys opinion on the best overall truck for durability without having to spend a ton upgrading and something that will be alot of fun to take out bashing and will be capable over all terrain( bmx parks, gravel pits, snow, grass, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Mnbasher View Post
    So I'll just start off saying I was big into this hobby about 10 years ago now when I was young. Had everything from a stampede, rustler, couple different e-maxx's a 3.3 revo 2.5 jato and a few non traxxas. The last one i bought was a 4x4 vxl slash bought new sometime around 2011. I have hung onto it and in the last 6 months got back into it by making the switch to lipo and upgrading a few things on the truck. I have a 4 1/2 year old son and this summer I bought him a latrax teton along with an extra battery and metal gear servo. Long story short I stuck too much into it and have burnt through multiple motors, a rear diff gear set, rear axle and now it seems the esc is fried. It just doesn't work for the type of terrain we run on. So I'm looking to sell that and either buy him something else for Christmas or buy myself something new and turn my slash over to him. He's driven my slash at full power on a 2s and is getting the hang of it pretty good. Trucks I am considering are

4x4 vxl stampede
    4x4 vxl rustler
    Hoss
    Or possibly a maxx but if I do it would likely be for me.

Just curious your guys opinion on the best overall truck for durability without having to spend a ton upgrading and something that will be alot of fun to take out bashing and will be capable over all terrain( bmx parks, gravel pits, snow, grass, etc)
    It sounds like you definitely need a MAXX. While yes, it is the most expensive of the bunch, it will also last you the longest and be the most fun.

From what you said it seems like your son would be extremely happy with your Slash. Just clean that thing up and re-gift it, the MAXX will definitely be a lot for a 4 year old but in like a year or so he will be able to start driving brushless (assuming he has good throttle control). In terms of durability the MAXX is as tough as they get, I don't personally own one but if anyone on the MAXX forum is to believe then they are practically indestructible. The only upgrade that I can think of that you might want is the WideMaxx kit, and that is by no means necessary.

I hope I was able to help you with your purchase!
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC poster
    I have been really considering the maxx. Only thing is I'd have to make the upgrade to 3s batterys. And he can handle my brushless slash pretty well right now. Still needs a little more practice but he will always be running it under my supervision so I don't think we will have any issue there. How much bigger overall is the maxx? I know he really wants a monster truck style truck so I feel if I get a new maxx he's going to be pretty jealous lol

If you're currently running a Slash, and your son greatly enjoys the Slash, why not just pick up another Slash? If you both had the same vehicle (different colored bodies, of course), the two of you could enjoy racing each other, using vehicles of (essentially) equal power. Obviously, you've both been bitten by the "RC bug"...so, let the "racing bug" bite both of you, and you can learn to enjoy it together.

Two other things to consider:
    1) If he has a vehicle with to much power, he could "learn" to destroy it faster (after all, he's only 4 1/2, and kids that age DO tend to enjoy 'destroying' things.
    2) If he has a vehicle with to little power (compared to your vehicle), he could get discouraged, and lose interest in RC.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Give him the Slash and convert it into a Monster Slash. Let him come up with a paint scheme (for you to paint) to make it his. Eventually, get yourself a Maxx.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

If a slash works for what your running on. Get another for him. And can let him customize it. Can oversize tires and under gear it... To make it more of a monster truck style

Don't forget the Bluetooth module let's you custom set the training mode setting to put the power right at his skill lvl.

The maxx is capable of 4s... Smaller than a erevo2. But larger than hoss or stampede.

Don't forget to check used listings like offer up, craigslist, fb marketplace ect.. to get a used car for a song and dance over new....

Not a bad time to have him learn how to fix it as he breaks it as well....

Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk