Thread: Mounting ideas?

RC Enthusiast

Mounting ideas?

Hi guys sorry if dumb post just wondering what you guys would do in this situation, I feel I'm running out of room in my rustler 4x4 vxl I bought a traxxas chassis brace which mounts in the front of chassis, afterward I bought the telemetry expander which mounts in the exact same position, traxxas support can obviously never recommend cutting or modifying, but in order to fit both I cut the mount for the chassis brace down and nicely got them both to fit! I also ordered the lighting kit from traxxas which I haven't got yet but should be getting end of November, only to find out through reading the installation instructions that the voltage regulator for it mounts in the exact same position as the telemetry expander... so 3 accessories all traxxas items all using the same mounting location.... obviously can't put it on top of the expander so....

Looking for good ideas of where I could possibly put it, maybe on top of battery holder? I dunno thanks in advance guys

Can you use the telemetry expander kit for the Slash 4x4? Don’t know if that would work with the Traxxas chassis brace. If not, maybe you can mod it to fit?

Here is our member iftibashir’s video with vG Racing’s chassis brace:

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    I ran into the same issue... I installed the chassis brace and then wanted to get the telemetry set up but as you stated the expander mounts in the exact same place as the brace does.

However, sounds like you got the expander and the chassis brace to fit at the same time. One solution for you would be to remove the telemetry expander and replace it with the light kit mount. You could then still get telemetry by hooking up all the telemetry wires to the receiver box. You wouldn’t have the GPS module anymore, but you could still get temp, voltage, rpm and speed on your Link app. but without the gps. This is the only way I can think of to get the brace, light kit and telemetry installed at the same time.

By the way, I would like to see a pic of how you got the chassis brace and telemetry expander to fit at the same time.

RC Enthusiast
    I'll attach a picture tomorrow but as I said I cut the front mount in half basically if you look inside of it you can see where the plastic grid is basically so I kept one of the vertical slices so it would still retain a lot of rigidity, but the lower 2 mounting holes are designated for the telemetry expander... I'm thinking just tapping holes in the battery hold down plastic and mounting the voltage regulator to that... either that or mounting it somehow to my actual chassis brace bar

RC Enthusiast
    I'll have to find a new website to upload a photo lol you guys know any good ones?
    Last edited by Pab; 11-19-2020 at 11:31 AM.

RC Racer
    Try “post image” very simple no B. S.

RC Enthusiast

thanks afreek!

As you can see i just cut the front mounting spot down, I'm sure it's not providing as much support as if it were full and had the lower bolts in but I'm happy with it
    Last edited by Pab; 11-19-2020 at 12:20 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Got my light kit today and I've decided on mounting the voltage regulator to my battery hold down, maybe not the best spot but only thing I can see as viable at this point...

Question is how would you guys go about tapping a hole in it for some bolts?

The chassis brace came with two different front mounts depending on which chassis u had, so im going to cut two posts off of the one I'm not using to space the voltage regulator appropriately, so would you just drill a smaller hole then the bolt or would you actually thread the plastic with a tap?