RC Competitor

Bought a castle 1515 2200kv motor for my erevo 2.0

Just want to make sure the wires are hooked up right since the esc only has blue, black and white plugs coming out. Even tho the wires themselves are all black.

The motor has red, white and black. Im guessing the red would go into the blue port?

I hooked it up that way and the car acts weird without the motor installed. The motor will spin and you cant turn the wheels at the same time.

Hitting the gas makes the green light on the esc turn off and you cant steer it while the gas is held down at all.

I also installed a 2 fan heatsink on the motor, they are plugged into the receivers channel 3 slot, maybe thats whats causing the turning issues?

Just testing it and changed the fans channel position it is plugged into and unplugged them all together.

While hitting the gas you cant steer until the motor stops.
    It will let me turn the steering while in reverse throttle tho.

Currently the motor is plugged in as follows, Red wire is plugged into the traxxas esc blue plug, white is in white and black is in black.

Ok well another test, I plugged the old broken motor back in, (still spins).. Still cant turn the steering while holding the throttle forward. Maybe something is set wrong in the esc? The motors are not installed and the truck isnt moving forward is maybe why? I dunno.

Last edited by NitroViper; 11-19-2020 at 04:29 AM.

RC Racer
    With regard to the motor wiring itself, the color order shouldn't cause the issue you are seeing with the steering. Basically the esc just hammers voltage across the wires in a specific order to make the motor spin one way or the other. Worst case, the motor mechanically spins backwards while the esc thinks forwards. If that is the case, just swap any two motor wires and the directions will be back in sync.

So as for the steering issue. Does it happen with any level of throttle, or did you only test full blast? I have read manufacturer warnings against running these kinds of motors without load, but I know people do it. So you might consider bolting the motor back on for further testing. Find a tall skinny box to keep the wheels off the floor.

In theory, servos don't respond properly if they lack power or signal. Are you confidant that your fan is plugged in correctly? If so I would expect a dip in speed if the bec voltage is sagging. Otherwise it's a signal problem and you might need to get a cheap oscilloscope to probe the radio pins.

Can you post an image of the radio and the way things are plugged in to it?

Are you using Traxxas Rx/Tx? The receiver has two Ch1 slots. Unplug the fans, plug the steering into Ch1, plug the ESC into Ch2 which would be the third slot up. Once it's working then plug the fans in one at a time and test to make sure everything still works.

On the Traxxas brushless motor (or any un-sensored setup) it doesn't really matter which way the three wires are plugged in. If you were to swap one of the three around with another the motor would just spin in the opposite direction.

RC Competitor
    I unplugged the fans all together and it did the same thing. I have had a chance to tyry it but ill try it sometime later today with the motor mounted. Maybe its acting weird with the motor and no load throwing off the TSM? I dunno.

It happens in all throttle speeds.

RC Racer
    Actually TSM isn't a bad theory. You should be able to dial it all the way down and remove that variable.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by omen View Post
    Actually TSM isn't a bad theory. You should be able to dial it all the way down and remove that variable.
    I dont mind TSM, I just winder if thats whats causing it with the motor unmounted. Ill try later today.
    I know sometimes after I turn the ESC on it takes 10-15 seconds before it even lets you hit the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroViper View Post
    I dont mind TSM, I just winder if thats whats causing it with the motor unmounted. Ill try later today.
    I know sometimes after I turn the ESC on it takes 10-15 seconds before it even lets you hit the throttle.
    The delay is the throttle calibration finding neutral. I have that issue at times. And would just redo the throttle calibration I think it's junk in my tx throttle switch.....

Make sure your esc is in ch2 on rx. And plugged in correct orientation.

Happen to have another rx to try?

You should be able to bench test motor outside of car no issues. See that forward make motor spin and reverse does opposite direction.... And if direction is flipped flip wires. From motor to esc As always test just motor connected to rx.... If works as should then add in servos. Then add fan connections to rx...

Questions as I'm just catching up from being out of town for 2 wks... Are you positive motor was bad and not a esc or rx issue?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Are you positive motor was bad and not a esc or rx issue?
    The motor was eizing up I could feel it by turning the pinion by hand. I took the motor apart and it had a loose broken magnet.