RC Enthusiast

How to Mount 2400kv Motor and Mamba X?

My El Sob Special 2400kv 5mm shaft motor and Mamba X combo will be delivered this Friday. Whatís the best way to mount and arrange them? Will I need any extra parts or materials to do this? Are the any good posts or videos that shows how to mount them? TIA.

RC Qualifier
    You will probably need the front reciever box option part (TRX 3628), wich puts the reciever up front. That way you can mount your ESC back, and have a longer motor

If you have an LCG chassis you can use the receiver box you have and just move it up front. Then you'll have plenty of room to put your new power in.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

As I told you previously, I always mount my El Sob special motor systems in the stock location.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Also with the stock reciever box of the HCG? It’s a totaly different shape from what you have there.

RC Qualifier
    Rpm sells a mamba x bracket, I have one and trying to get around to mount it once I get my hands on the mx 2400kv 5mm combo. It is designed to bolt straight up to vxl-3s mounting holes.

https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/c...e-mamba-x-esc/

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Rpm sells a mamba x bracket, I have one and trying to get around to mount it once I get my hands on the mx 2400kv 5mm combo. It is designed to bolt straight up to vxl-3s mounting holes.

Sweet! You think they'll be room to squeeze this in with the tight fitting 2400kv?

I just got the 5mm combo. It's still sitting in the box - haven't opened it yet.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    As I told you previously, I always mount my El Sob special motor systems in the stock location.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Thank you! Just noticed your private message.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post

I second the RPM bracket. Have one on both rigs...

RC Enthusiast
    How do you guys recommend mounting a Mamba X ESC with a 2400 in a LCG? I got a RPM ESC cage, but there's not enough room for it. I've heard of people using CD cover plastic and they mount the bottom of the ESC to the top of the CD plastic with double sided tape, but how do people mount the CD plastic to the chasis since the honeycomb design is not a flat surface. What's the best tape to use? I have some double sided tape, but it's not that great. The tape used on my Puretech velcro battery holder is extremely strong, but I'm not sure what type it is.

Thanks!

The RPM mount should screw onto the original ESC mounting area, and it should "cage" around the ESC, holding it down.

(if there is not enough room, you can move the Receiver box to the front)
    Last edited by RCWilly; 12-01-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    The RPM mount should screw onto the original ESC mounting area, and it should "cage" around the ESC, holding it down.

(if there is not enough room, you can move the Receiver box to the front)
    There's not enough room for the cage, and it will not screw down to the chasis where it's designed to because of limited space so I'd have to tape it/or a cd case piece of plastic/or something else down (any recommendations on tape type?).

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Dee63 View Post
    There's not enough room for the cage, and it will not screw down to the chasis where it's designed to because of limited space so I'd have to tape it/or a cd case piece of plastic/or something else down (any recommendations on tape type?).
    This is Jay_Dee63. It looks like I can just mount the bottom portion of the cage and cut the post off in the picture to allow the motor to be positioned properly. I found some double sided gorilla tape in my garage. Anyone have luck with this tape? Whatís the best double sided tape for mounting an ESC to a chassis? Thanks!

Slash 4x4 Ultimate

Just screw the piece of plastic to the bottom and then use mounting tape and stick the ESC on it. You can also use STRC plates if you don't want to make your own:

http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?ro...tion=1&model=1

Look at El Sob's pics. His pics are all on LCG chassis.

You can always move your Rx box to the front of your rig as NitroBugg did. The hols are already there as well.

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

You can relocate the Receiver box to the front of the chassis, or mount the ESC in the front (Take a look at NitroBugg's picture. Notice the ESC is in the place of the receiver, and the receiver is mounted up front).

RC Racer
    You can relocate the Receiver box to the front of the chassis, or mount the ESC in the front (Take a look at NitroBugg's picture. Notice the ESC is in the place of the receiver, and the receiver is mounted up front).
    Thanks you guys! What about the black and red wires that go to the Traxxas battery connector and the thinner wires that go into the receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldCoast View Post
    Thanks you guys! What about the black and red wires that go to the Traxxas battery connector and the thinner wires that go into the receiver?

Do the black and red wires have to be soldered to the battery connector? Do the thin receiver wires plug in ďlike for likeĒ in the receiver?

Slash 4x4 Ultimate

Different motor and ESC (2200kV and MM2), but same concept:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post5925895

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Different motor and ESC (2200kV and MM2), but same concept:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post5925895
    Frankly I’m surprised no one made an esc bracket equivalent for MMX or HW escs yet since traxxas was nice enough to provide those mounting holes....

This is Jay_Dee63. It looks like I can just mount the bottom portion of the cage and cut the post off in the picture to allow the motor to be positioned properly. I found some double sided gorilla tape in my garage. Anyone have luck with this tape? What’s the best double sided tape for mounting an ESC to a chassis? Thanks!

If I were you, I would mount the esc to the bottom plastic piece. Looks like you just cut that plastic piece of and you're good.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    If I were you, I would mount the esc to the bottom plastic piece. Looks like you just cut that plastic piece of and you're good.
    Thanks! I did! Had to dremel the bottom piece a little to allow the motor to slide for gear meshing. Now Iíve got to figure out how to wire it up. Wish I knew how already. Canít wait to get it going!

Slash 4x4 Ultimate

RC Racer
    Thanks! I did! Had to dremel the bottom piece a little to allow the motor to slide for gear meshing. Now Iíve got to figure out how to wire it up. Wish I knew how already. Canít wait to get it going!

What the heck do I do with this?

Slash 4x4 Ultimate

Again... look at El Sob's pics posted in post #4 for all you need.

Back when I ran the unsensored Traxxas branded Castle 2400kV with stock ESC:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post5866676

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Again... look at El Sob's pics posted in post #4 for all you need.

Back when I ran the unsensored Traxxas branded Castle 2400kV with stock ESC:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post5866676
    How in the heck do I wire this thing? The instructions seem to be incomplete.

Slash 4x4 Ultimate

Do you mean where all the wires connect?

I found a picture of the Mamba X on the internet, and labeled it:

The connectors circled green are supposed to go together (connects to the fan). The connectors circled in orange are supposed to plug into the receiver. Connector circled blue is supposed to go to the motor endcap.

Hope this helps!

RC Racer
    Do you mean where all the wires connect?

I found a picture of the Mamba X on the internet, and labeled it:

The connectors circled green are supposed to go together (connects to the fan). The connectors circled in orange are supposed to plug into the receiver. Connector circled blue is supposed to go to the motor endcap.

Hope this helps!
    I got it all to work out! Thanks everyone! The wiring was pretty straightforward once I was able to sit down and look at it. I got the esc programmed and ready to go, but after driving it slowly in my garage late last night, I noticed a bearing in the rear differential went out (of course - always something! Lol) so I havenít been able to really try the new motor yet.

Slash 4x4 Ultimate

RC Racer
    I got it all to work out! Thanks everyone! The wiring was pretty straightforward once I was able to sit down and look at it. I got the esc programmed and ready to go, but after driving it slowly in my garage late last night, I noticed a bearing in the rear differential went out (of course - always something! Lol) so I havenít been able to really try the new motor yet.

Slash 4x4 Ultimate

What the heck do I do with this?

I'm happy you got it mounted right. The wiring takes some practice to get it nice. My advice is to take it slow. I always try to make mine look neat and clean.