RC Enthusiast

Question New Rustler Setup Accessories?

Probably a stupid question but I canít find any mention in the manuals. Just unboxed my rustler xl-5 and Iím not sure if the provided preload spacers/shock pistons, and washers etc are spares/for adjustment or need to be put on in some aspect before running?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaqueezy View Post
    Probably a stupid question but I can’t find any mention in the manuals. Just unboxed my rustler xl-5 and I’m not sure if the provided preload spacers/shock pistons, and washers etc are spares/for adjustment or need to be put on in some aspect before running?
    They are for minor tuning, nothing that comes in the accessory bags are necessary instalments for the vehicle. You can use all of the extra parts that come with the car to adjust it's performance in one way or another. For general driving you should be fine with the out of the box set up.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqueezy View Post
    Probably a stupid question but I can’t find any mention in the manuals. Just unboxed my rustler xl-5 and I’m not sure if the provided preload spacers/shock pistons, and washers etc are spares/for adjustment or need to be put on in some aspect before running?
    Welcome to the forums!

I'll first say this is actually the Nitro Rustler forum vs the electric Rustler which you are referencing - you will probably get better support if you post in that forum.

As for your question, which is a general question in regards to big bore and ultra shocks. The parts that come with it fall into two categories - spacers and spare shock parts. You can ignore the spare parts for now. The spaces, which look like a C clip are used to add pre-load to the shocks. Preload doesn't make the shocks stiffer or softer, but instead rise or lower the truck. If you have too much preload on the shocks, it will limit the amount of travel and negatively impact your handling.

Generally, if the truck bottoms out if dropped level from 12-18 inches off the ground, then you need heavier springs - if it doesn't bottom out, the springs are good. After you drop the truck with the right springs (ones that keep it from bottoming out), then where it lands will show you the ride height. You then add pre-load clips to adjust that up or down. If you are unsure what that is supposed to look like or how high -- just adjust them so the truck is level across the two a-arms and body.

I found out recently that some models are not coming with the full manual but rather a quick start guide instead. I'm not sure if you have the full manual or not. You can go to the support tabs and read it/download it.

Rustler (brushed w/XL5 and 2WD) manual: https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R03.pdf

RC Enthusiast
    Yah sorry I just realized I went to the nitro part. My bad. Super fun, do they make more rigid antenna protectors?

And yah just a quick start guide and a “what to do if something breaks” booklet

Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

I'll first say this is actually the Nitro Rustler forum vs the electric Rustler which you are referencing - you will probably get better support if you post in that forum.

** Moved **
    The Super Derecho