RC Qualifier

Slash 4x4 to Rustler 4x4

Hello, I'm sure a fair few of you know me, I've been on here since 2009, and into the hobby around 25 years..... However, at the end of 2019, I sold up. For Good. Even down to my tools. I took down the work benches etc and for the first time since I had a second hand Tamiya Mini Cooper.... I had no R/C's.

Why did I sell up, well I had one R/C left, a fairly well modified X-Maxx with lots of bells and whistles. I kinda peaked with this. There was (to me) nowhere to go from it.... and you know what. I never used it..... It was a lot of money sat there so I sold it (and brought a real Mk5 Golf GTI with the money believe it or not). Im possibly going to offend some people now, and appreciate that all this is subjective and the same can be said for previous era's of RC, but I honestly got tired of the RC Focus on Crawling/Scaling/Rock Climbing. Safe to say, it dominates the R/C world. Every new product is aimed at this market, and it all looks identical to me. Always based on some 80s or 90s truck that if were real would be in a scrap yard. Everything appeared aimed at this market, so I got out.

Its fair to say Ive always enjoyed the forums/building more than actually using the R/Cs, and I guess I missed it. I tried to keep in the loop, but it just seemed more and more crawler based. Then the Traxxas Maxx got released which piqured my interest, but it was very expensive. Then the Hoss came along, and I was convinced that was my ticket back into R/C...... but even Traxxas fans dont seem to rate that.....

I was adament if I was to get sucked back in, it would have to be at a much lower level so an X-Maxx was out the question. I also said to myself Ive gotta sell some things to pay for it this time. So I put my MTB and a few things up for sale and went on modelsport/Wheelspin.

So I decided to look into a Rustler 4x4...... My original plan was A Stock Rustler 4x4, The Traxxas Charger and the Traxxas Lipo's. Plug and play and upgrade what breaks. However a compromise came via PM......

A Slash 4x4..... however a reletively special one.....

Its brand new and unused,*This came with:

Traxxas X0-1 Drive*Shafts
    Traxxas Aluminium Front Castor Blocks
    Traxxas Aluminium Front Knuckles
    Traxxas Aluminium Rear*Hubs
    Traxxas GTR Shocks

Hobbywing Max 10 SCT With 3200kv motor (Sensored)
    Traxxas 2075X Servo

Proline Shell
    Proline Badlands

However, as you can tell..... I wanted a Traxxas Rustler 4x4, thats a Slash..... The reason I went for this one..... it has all the parts to convert to a Rustler 4x4!

Some will argue the Slash 4x4 is better, butt I've had 5 of those.... So, I ordered a Pizza and cracked on converting:

However..... I didnt get very far because it appears Traxxas changed the motor mount....... As a result.... It doesnt fit

So thats as far as I got.....

RC Qualifier
    After a few hours googling and downloading exploded diagrams..... I confidently found the new correct motor mount. An aftermarket one was an option so I went for that. It wasn't cheap but was in stock and go to me within two days......

As you can see, the bottom corner is shaved

So got that installed

Now the previous owner was kind enough to include a basic radio, but I've got my eye on a Noble Radio so may wait for an invoice or two to be paid and start with that one.

Feels good to be back..... not sure when Ill use it or how long ill keep it haha, but its nice to know its there....

RC Qualifier
    Also, I've converted this off the top of my head...... IS this right for the rear end/wheely bar? Doesn't seem too secure?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    Also, I've converted this off the top of my head...... IS this right for the rear end/wheely bar? Doesn't seem too secure?

Janky, flexible, hardly-works junk they hooked to the back of the newer rusty's! Mine didnt last but a few packs...i immediately bought the slash 4x4 wheelie bar mount, and i believe the stampede?? Wheelie bar? Been (almost) flawless since.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

1) If I remember correctly, there should be more to the wheelie bar than what you've got. Best suggestion would be to download the Rustler 4x4 Exploded View, and check/compare all the related part numbers (what you have vs what the Exploded View shows).

2) Why Dominos Pizza? why, Why, WHY??? Next time, skip the crappy pizza (Little Caesars, Shakey's (if they still exist), and Pizza Hut are also all "crappy"), and get A REAL pizza.

Btw, good buy...and welcome back to RCing. I've got 2 Rustys, one of which I'm converting into a 1/8 E-buggy. The other is still a stadium truck...but, it's not even close to 'stock'.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    That is the factory rustler 4x4 wheelie bar and it sucks. RPM makes a kit that uses the 2wd rustler wheelie bar. That one works much better
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX

To be completely honest, the wheelie bar isn't even really needed. On 2S, the truck (when stock) never lifted high enough. With my modified Rusty, even though the motor is considerably more powerful (4200kV vs the stock 3500kV), I've added enough weight too the front to compensate...even on 3S, the front almost never lifts higher than 1-2", and is NEVER in danger of "flipping over". Now, if I were to try 4S (the Castle Mamba X is more than capable), then, I'm almost certain it would flip...but, I have no intensions of even trying 4S in this vehicle.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

T bone racing makes the best wheelie bar. My stock bar destroyed the back of my body. The t bone one hardly moves!

Rustler 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Ive never liked T Bone stuff, it just looked so cheap and home made. I appreciate it works, and Ive not looked at their products for a while but still.

I'm running a centre diff, is this stock on a Rustler 4x4?

RC Competitor
    A center diff isn't stock on the rustler. Should keep it from doing wheelies though
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX

RC Qualifier
    lol, less than 1 minute into my first run

My fault, I'm an idiot

Ouch... Whatd you hit?

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Ive never liked T Bone stuff, it just looked so cheap and home made. I appreciate it works, and Ive not looked at their products for a while but still.

I'm running a centre diff, is this stock on a Rustler 4x4?
    I can't claim to know anything about TBR's wheelie bar...but, I do have several other TBR products, on a few different vehicles, and I can confirm that they SERIOUSLY "hold up".

Using just one vehicle (the aforementioned Rustler 4x4 w/ 4200kV motor) as an example, after upgrading the motor, and switching to 3S, I want sure what pinion to go with. Obviously, I needed to gear down, but I wasn't certain about how many teeth to lower the count by. Obviously, this is done through trial & error...in the case of the first pinion I tried, there was serious "error". To make a long story short, as I drive Frankie-Rusty (the manner of that vehicle) down the street at full speed (had to have been in excess of 70mph), something happened with the steering, it ran straight into the curb, did some absolutely amazing, incredible, never-before-seen aerial acrobatics (oh, how I wish I had video). When I arrived at the "drop zone", I discovered the front driver's side mangled beyond ever being used again...but, I can confirm that there was absolutely NO damage to the TBR XV4 front bumper. That thing is SOLID.

As for the center diff, no, that is not 'stock'...but, having can can also be a (very) good thing. In all three of my Traxxas 4x4s (2 Rustys, and 1 Slash), I've installed the TRA6780 Center Diff, and it's fantastic. Probably the greatest thing about having a center diff is the ability to "adjust" the front-to-rear power, simply by increasing/decreasing the diff fluid weight. Using my Baja Rey (yes, I know...non-Traxxas vehicles...but, only mentioning it for this example) as an example, originally, I filled the diffs with 10K/15K/80K. For street use, this was "good enough"...but, I decided to do some serious upgrading, so that I could do some serious off-roading (a trophy truck deserves to be driven like a trophy truck, even if it is 1/8 scale). Ignoring all the other upgrades, I replaced these did fluid weights to 100K/500K/2.5M weights (essentially, creating an extremely-limited-slip rear diff). In regards to the center diff, changing from 15K, to 500K made the truck a LOT more "drivable" where off-roading was concerned (of course, it also helps to understand that the stock vehicle's weight of 6lbs increased to 9.5lbs with all the upgrades, so better 4-wheel traction IS what was needed).

RC Qualifier

Not sure how well the stock tires work in the snow...but, sure would be fun to watch...lol. Have you thought about switching them for paddles? If paddles with great for sand, they should work almost as well in snow.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Not sure how well the stock tires work in the snow...but, sure would be fun to watch...lol. Have you thought about switching them for paddles? If paddles with great for sand, they should work almost as well in snow.

That snow has gone now, probabaly wont see it again for a year or so, not worth it in the UK haha

That snow has gone now, probabaly wont see it again for a year or so, not worth it in the UK haha
    Living in the SF Bay Area, the closest I usually get to snow is either viewing it from 20 miles away, on top of Mt. Hamilton...or, when driving clients to Lake Tahoe (which we haven't done since mid/late February).