Thread: Motors on hand

RC Racer

Motors on hand

I recently switched my Rusty 4x4 vxl over to a 120amp ESC (hw), and a 2200kv 1/8th brushless motor (4076? Can) and Mod 1 gears... Shortly after said upgrade (which i LOVE), a Firma, 4000kv brushless 3660 can motor shows up in the mail.....anyone have experience with the firma stuff? Or, specifically, the motor i have in front of me?? Wondering if it would be a step backwards to install it? Doesn't quite fit in my R.C.R. Lightning EPX Pro, so i would hate for it to go to waste as a "spare", and the work to re-do my gears/programming, etc...
    Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    That 4000kv is going to be around the same performance as the stock VXL, but run warmer and will be limited gearing. I wouldnt use it, 4000kv is too high for off road

RC Competitor
    Youll have much more gearing options, better temps and runtimes with the 2200kv. The 4000kv is a little high for the weight of the rustler 4x4
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX

Usually a 4000 kv motor is used in a lite weight on road car and if someone used it in a 4X4 Rustler, it will offers about the same performance than the Velineon 3500 kv but we will be more restrained with the gearing option and the motor temp will be a little higher. Also most of the guys who want to increase Rustler's performance, install a lower kv motor, because it will offers more gearing option and the demande for energy is less, all that with more torque and HP to the wheels.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrz13 View Post
    Youll have much more gearing options, better temps and runtimes with the 2200kv. The 4000kv is a little high for the weight of the rustler 4x4
    This was my assumption as well. I thought, sure, Rusty is "1/10", but heavy nonetheless, especially compared to my RCR Lightning EPX Pro with its carbon chassis! *Toot-toooooot!* Hahaha

I am very happy with my rusty and the newer 2000kv motor. Its been a BLAST thru-&-thru! Only downside so far is...i had an audience this weekend behind my street around the new construction area...and well, i went ham and was launching Rusty over a few 2-3ft tall dirtpiles and hearing the multitudes from every direction: 5 year child playing in their front yard with mother on front porch_"mommy, i want THAT for Christmas!!!, I want, THAT, for Christmas,mommy!". -older Les. Couple on their porch "oooooo! WWOOOWWWWWW!!! AHHH!", and a few "uh-oh!'s", dude in Ford pickup stopped in middle of road to tell me how much he loves my rig, and the blue LEDs attached to it!

Anyways, brought it home to cool, loaded up the TRX4 and flatbed trailer with LightningEPXPro loaded up, and went back again, bashed with more distant-admirers abroad....the EPX is easily 10 or so mph faster than rusty, 5900kv, long story short, lost an e-clip, then the pin holding r.f. carrier to lower arm...went home, brought back rusty with my favorite/biggest-boy battery 3s, 7kMAH, 100c. Annnnnd ended up shearing my slipper shaft in half, or, right between spring, and bearing.
    My (only) LHS has no stock till MAYBE Wednesday, which means poor Rusty wont be playin for a while (couple hours without a bash is almost too long for me, lol).

Anyways, slipper shaft was on its way out anyhow, so not really a "downside".

I digress.

Thanks for the few responses guys, im still wrappping my head around kv ratings, turns, applicable vehicles, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk