Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    A few questions I have

    I was wondering if you need to charge nimh batteries a little bit before storage or if they are fine to just sit around discharged? I was also wondering if on the traxxas 2wd models, can you take the fixed gear adapter out and use no adapter or do you need to get shorter screws to accommodate the lack of an adapter? I am asking these questions here because the stampede forum is almost dead, so I might not get a response. I need one within the next 2 hours, so any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

  2. #2
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,028
    NiMH batteries should be at least half-charged before storage. It's best to leave it just a bit from fully charged since the voltage fluctuates depending on the temperature, and it self-discharges over time. I'm not sure what you mean by gear adapter. Is it the diff lock spool?
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  3. #3
    I mean these things.https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...B%20-%20EN.pdf They are where the motor bolts onto the transmission in the 2wd stampede and any other model that use the magnum 272 transmission so you don't need to set gear mesh.
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

  4. #4
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,028
    You might need shorter screws so that the screws won't hit the rotor, other than that, I think it would be fine to run the car without it.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  5. #5
    Okay. Thanks for the help and the fast response!
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    independence, KY
    Posts
    39
    Might be a little late, but on my 2wd brushed slash i removed the fixed gear adapter and used the same screws, no issues.

  7. #7
    Thanks srider72. Also, how long is the set screw that comes with the traxxas 16t pinion? I bought some 3mm set screws but they seem to stick out a little bit. Is this normal?
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    19,529
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpider25 View Post
    I was wondering if you need to charge nimh batteries a little bit before storage or if they are fine to just sit around discharged? I was also wondering if on the traxxas 2wd models, can you take the fixed gear adapter out and use no adapter or do you need to get shorter screws to accommodate the lack of an adapter? I am asking these questions here because the stampede forum is almost dead, so I might not get a response. I need one within the next 2 hours, so any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.
    NIMH batteries are designed to "self-discharge" over a period of time, this way they do not develop a memory. I store mine at about 20% charge. However, if it's been over a few weeks before I have used them, I usually charge then discharge them a few times to exercise the battery pack and wake it up... Strictly speaking NIMH battery packs. I've packs that are 7 years old still running strong....
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    NIMH batteries are designed to "self-discharge" over a period of time, this way they do not develop a memory. I store mine at about 20% charge. However, if it's been over a few weeks before I have used them, I usually charge then discharge them a few times to exercise the battery pack and wake it up... Strictly speaking NIMH battery packs. I've packs that are 7 years old still running strong....
    This I guess explains why my NIMH batteries sometimes take some trial and error before they get a full charge. I had one sitting for months without any activity and it was fully discharged. It came back luckily, but I always thought NIMH batteries could be left alone after a run without a storage charge. I thought storage was needed for LiPos only. Do you know if you have an answer to my last question, too? Thanks!
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

  10. #10
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,274
    They don't need to be put at a storage charge. He says he stores his at 20%.

    I fully charge my two receiver and two AA glow plug nimh batteries and leave them. The longest storage is over the winter in an unheated, attached garage. In the spring I'll take them out and cycle them a couple times before they are ready to use. One battery is over ten years old and the other at least five.
    The Super Derecho

  11. #11
    So let me get this straight, you don't need to storage charge NIMH batteries? Also, I have no way of figuring out what 20% storage is. I store my batteries in the same state as they come out of the truck after the run, which is pretty much dead, as the truck barely moves. Is this fine?
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

  12. #12
    RC Racer EclipseMantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpider25 View Post
    So let me get this straight, you don't need to storage charge NIMH batteries? Also, I have no way of figuring out what 20% storage is. I store my batteries in the same state as they come out of the truck after the run, which is pretty much dead, as the truck barely moves. Is this fine?
    You shouldn't discharge the batteries that much, period. You should stop well before the truck can barely move.
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

  13. #13
    Everyone here seems to have their own opinion on the battery, so I really just need an answer to this question: How long is the set screw that comes with the traxxas 16t pinion? I bought some 3mm set screws but they seem to stick out a little bit. Is this normal?
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

  14. #14
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    independence, KY
    Posts
    39
    I'm not sure how long the set screw is. I would think that as long as it's not interfering with rotation it would be fine. I couldn't tell you if mine sticks out or not, I just tighten it and go with it.

  15. #15
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,274
    You'll get a whole slew of answers regarding nimh batteries (even a search online will give you differing recommendations) but the simple fact is they do not have the memory effect that the older nicd batteries had and do not need to be stored at a certain voltage like lipo batteries. Some store at 20%, others half, yet some full. Again, I keep mine full and use the charger to cycle them a time or two every month or so.
    The Super Derecho

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    19,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    You'll get a whole slew of answers regarding nimh batteries (even a search online will give you differing recommendations) but the simple fact is they do not have the memory effect that the older nicd batteries had and do not need to be stored at a certain voltage like lipo batteries. Some store at 20%, others half, yet some full. Again, I keep mine full and use the charger to cycle them a time or two every month or so.
    +1 I do store mine at 20%, I also stated NIMH slowly discharges by design. Most important is waking them up after a while of storage by exercising them... +1 Everyone has their methods. NIMH batteries are not ones to worry about so much as lippos.
    Double_G won't steer you wrong.....
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

  17. #17
    I never read the red tag on the XL-5 ESC and I found out that you are supposed to unplug the battery to turn off the ESC. Does anyone know why you have to do this? I have just been pressing the ez set button to turn it off.
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

  18. #18
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,028
    The battery continues to (slowly) discharge when plugged into the ESC even when it's turned off, so after LVD on a LiPo, if you continue to leave it plugged in, it can discharge the battery to the point that it becomes damaged.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    The battery continues to (slowly) discharge when plugged into the ESC even when it's turned off, so after LVD on a LiPo, if you continue to leave it plugged in, it can discharge the battery to the point that it becomes damaged.
    I also unplug the battery, but I turn the ESC off with the ez set button.
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

  20. #20
    RC Racer GTSDart340's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpider25 View Post
    I never read the red tag on the XL-5 ESC and I found out that you are supposed to unplug the battery to turn off the ESC. Does anyone know why you have to do this? I have just been pressing the ez set button to turn it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpider25 View Post
    I also unplug the battery, but I turn the ESC off with the ez set button.
    You might, but many people haven't and have paid the price. It's just Traxxas protecting themselves.

    Rustler 4x4 VXL

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •