RC poster

Brand new LiPo with short run times.

Hi guys,

Just received my brand new complete setup last week. Slash 2WD VXL with EZ Peak charger and a 5800 2S Lipo battery. I made sure it was set to balance charge, however the first time out the battery only lasted 15 minutes. Later that day I balance charged it again and again it only lasted 15 minutes. The esc's lvc was is on and the light was green. Am I missing something? I thought these were supposed to last much longer. Faulty battery, or charger perhaps? I don't have a voltage meter so I can't check the battery. Perhaps a hobby store could check it? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by LBC; 11-22-2020 at 03:23 PM.

If you can check the final voltage of the battery when it comes off the charger.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    A low voltage alarm/monitor/checker like the Venom 0644 would be a inexpensive way to check the voltage of the pack and individual cells.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks guys, I'll try and get my hands on a voltage checker. I also just noticed that my EZ Peak charger doesn't let me choose a charge rate 1a-4a anymore. It did when I first got it, three charges later it seems its "stuck" on 4a. Is this another indication of a faulty battery?

RC Qualifier
    I bought a 4s battery recently that I had to cycle through many balance charges and storage charges to bring one cells voltage up to match the other 3, it was so low my traxxas charger didn't want to charge it. One low cell like that will also shorten your run time.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LBC View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll try and get my hands on a voltage checker. I also just noticed that my EZ Peak charger doesn't let me choose a charge rate 1a-4a anymore. It did when I first got it, three charges later it seems its "stuck" on 4a. Is this another indication of a faulty battery?
    Sometimes there is a maximum it will let you charge even though it can go higher depending on the battery.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I bought a 4s battery recently that I had to cycle through many balance charges and storage charges to bring one cells voltage up to match the other 3, it was so low my traxxas charger didn't want to charge it. One low cell like that will also shorten your run time.

Misread your post, it's at the max, will it change if you try a different battery or do you only have the one?

It could also be the LVD of the ESC.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    It should charge to 4.2v/cell - some chargers default to storage voltage 3.8V and setting needs to be changed - If its charging to 3.8V/cell you will only get around 15min run time - Make sure your final charge voltage is set to 4.2v/cell on your charger