Thread: Short run times

RC poster

Short run times

I just bought a brand new maxx a couple days ago, at the same time I bought 2 brand new common sense rc 3s 5200 50c packs. I have run the truck 3 times now and every time I am lucky if I get 10 minutes out of each pack. That seems really short to me compared to other trucks and batteries I have run. Is this normal or are these batterys just that bad?

2 possible things that you've probably thought of:

1. Are you using lvc?
    2. Are the settings on the charger right?

I've never heard of that brand of battery, but on Amazon, they get decent reviews so . . .
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

You in Minnesota? How are the temps here? Unseasonable 40 at best, right? Cold temps do not do any favors to batteries.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Lvc is on yes. I got 8, maybe 10 minutes in before it kicked it. It's like I'd just start to have fun and then the low voltage would kick in. And yes I am in mn, was around 40 degrees today. But batteries were warm before hand. My slash running traxxas 2s 7600 battery will run for what feels like 30 minutes. I know it's a smaller truck and higher capacity battery but still. I love the maxx so far but I'm going to need to invest in better batteries if this is how fast they are going to go dead. Sucks as I paid over $60 a piece for these

Aside from the Maxx being heavier, it obviously has the 540xl, which'll suck up more power. That still seems like excessively short run times.

Then again, what do I know, I (unfortunately) don't have a Maxx!
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

What is the voltage of the batteries when fully charged? Are you balance charging them?
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC poster
    As far as Voltage i am not sure. I am balance charging with a traxxas id dual charger. Shop i bought them from checked them before I bought and I believe they were sitting around 3.88 volts

RC Champion
    5 n 1 lipo balancer , with an adapter if needed
    will let you know if a cell is failing
    fabricator

RC poster
    I am going to have to pick up a Voltage tester. But I ran both packs through it again tonight, both until lvc kicked in. I got home and put them on the charger to storage charge them and almost immediately they were at 3 bars on the charger. Is it possible that the lvc is kicking in too early on the truck. I timed it and I got about 8 minutes of run time out of a pack. That's unacceptable

RC poster
    Got a voltage tester and i checked voltage today after running the truck and it hit vlc and I got 3.79 volts. So apparently these batteries really just don't last that long. They are reading fully charged after I get done charging them as well

Sounds like the batteries voltage sags quite a bit under load. (Can't handle the amp requirements). When my trucks hit the LVC 1st stage, my batteries read 3.5volts.
    The 3.79volts your batteries are at is basically what chargers charge to when they are put to a storage setting.

RC poster
    for comparison, i'm running 3S dynamite Reaction 2 5000 mah 50c (55.5wh) batteries and charging with an imax B6 balance charger- this gets my new maxx a solid 30 minutes of hill climbing and jump time... and my sons 4x4 rustler vxl is running 2S lectron pro 5200 mah 35c batteries and gets a solid 25 minutes.

RC poster
    My son just got the Erevo and is running 3s 5000 and gets maybe 10 minutes. Keep in mind, its low 30's to high 20's here in northern michigan. Are there other batteries that he get run that would help this issue? His car says 6s, should I look at getting a bigger battery?

RC poster
    As I posted in a related thread, I believe 50c dc rate is too low for Maxx. 3600 100c 3s runs my w-Maxx 10 mins at 25f. I have 3s 50c packs coming for other vehicles but I will do a test, I expect the same as you-10 mins, maxes out Dc rate the entire run, uses more mah too accomplish same amount of work. It’s my opinion to run the truck on 3S you need 80 to 100 C discharge. The truck runs really well on 100c 3s and even better on 4s 100c but is obviously heavier. Good luck, enjoy your Maxx!