RC Enthusiast

Differential oil/grease

I'm tearing the rustle 4x4 vxl apart and giving it all a proper cleaning, just wondering what oil and grease you guys use for your front and rear diffs I've seen people use red grease and blue grease and then different weights of oil inside...

My grease looked like it had some dirt chunks in it so I want to replace it but do not see on their website anything except white lithium and lower weight oil.

Any advice or tips or brands or stores appreciated

RC Competitor
    I use my marine grease on the outside and 30k weight with a drop of 7k silicone oil from factory team on the inside. I do that for front and rear. Donít know what others use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently running 10K up front, and 80K in the rear...plus, I've replaced the slipper with the TRA6780 Center Diff, which is running 15K. It all depending on how you're running your vehicle. For example, I had been running 80K in the rear of my Losi Baja Ray...but, wanting to "not quite lock" the rear diff, I recently replaced the 80K with 2.5M. For my Slash (2WD), which is being converted to a no-prep, I'll be coming it work something in the extremely low triple-digit range.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Enthusiast
    Where you buying this stuff just ebay? And oil inside the spider gears and grease on the big gear correct?

And I'm fairly new to the rc world so I'm mainly just looking to take it all apart clean it and put it back together, I run my car on the road and in grass few jumps here and there but not looking for any setup in particular

Also do you guys grease anything else up? I'm pretty much torn all the way down currently and getting ready to do the diffs and put it all back together
    Last edited by Pab; 11-23-2020 at 03:35 AM.

If you have any local hobby shops, try them first. If there are no hobby shops within driving distance, there are several online - Amain, Horizon Hobby, Tower Hobbies, etc. But, it's ALWAYS best to first support your local shops. If they don't have something in-stock, they can usually order it, and have it in within a week...but, of not, that's when I turn to online.

With larger-dollar items, local shops don't make much profit, so those I'll probably order online. However, when it comes to parts, accessories, and other related items (oil, batteries, wheels, etc), that's where the majority of the profit is, and that's what keeps the LHSs in business. That's why I say, always check with your LHS first.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

RC Competitor
    I run traxxas part number 5041 in the differential. The weight you use in the carrier kinda depends on what your doing with it. I run 80k up front amd 100k in the rear, from the fatory there is 30k up front and just grease in the rear.
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX

RC Racer
    I actually just spent the last hour or so looking through this forum and YouTube to get info on this. It seems folks with the stampede 4x4 have great success with 50k or 100k all around for general bashing. So I’m going 50k front and rear and traxxas makes 50k diff fluid, just ordered some off Amazon.

As for grease outside the diff I’ve heard general automotive grease is good so I’m getting some valvoline general purpose amber grease.
    rustler vxl " Stealth from below"

Quote Originally Posted by djbird1xx View Post
    I actually just spent the last hour or so looking through this forum and YouTube to get info on this. It seems folks with the stampede 4x4 have great success with 50k or 100k all around for general bashing. So Iím going 50k front and rear and traxxas makes 50k diff fluid, just ordered some off Amazon.

As for grease outside the diff Iíve heard general automotive grease is good so Iím getting some valvoline general purpose amber grease.
    Good luck...but, you probably won't like the results. The 4Pede & Rusty area entirely different types of vehicles, requiring entirely different setups. How comparing apples to rocks. Just because they use the same chassis didn't mean they are the same - one is, essentially, a monster truck, while the other is a stadium truck. They drive differently, handle differently, act differently, react differently...and, if you look at them, they look entirely different.

Would it make sense to you to set up a Ferrari exactly the same as a Honda? If you're trying to get setup info for the Rusty 4x4, stick to the Rusty 4x4 section. Info in the 4Pede section is great..for the 4Pede. But, it might not be so great for the Rusty.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info I'm going to buy a variety of weights and get good at tearing it apart and putting it together lol I'll get different setups and see what I like...

Can someone tell me the correlation between the weight of the oil and the limited slip? Or does it vary on a bunch of other variables as well?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Good luck...but, you probably won't like the results. The 4Pede & Rusty area entirely different types of vehicles, requiring entirely different setups. How comparing apples to rocks. Just because they use the same chassis didn't mean they are the same - one is, essentially, a monster truck, while the other is a stadium truck. They drive differently, handle differently, act differently, react differently...and, if you look at them, they look entirely different.

Would it make sense to you to set up a Ferrari exactly the same as a Honda? If you're trying to get setup info for the Rusty 4x4, stick to the Rusty 4x4 section. Info in the 4Pede section is great..for the 4Pede. But, it might not be so great for the Rusty.

I get your point and that’s why the decision for this is hard, especially since there are not really many threads for this on the rustler 4x4 forum. From my research a 50k wt front and rear doesn’t seem like it would be super detrimental in any car used just for bashing. I figure anything is going to be better from the stock grease in the rear diff that is not even present in my rear diff. Worst comes to worst I’ll just spend another $20 to get 30k up front like stock and 100k in the rear or something.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pab View Post
    Thanks for the info I'm going to buy a variety of weights and get good at tearing it apart and putting it together lol I'll get different setups and see what I like...

Can someone tell me the correlation between the weight of the oil and the limited slip? Or does it vary on a bunch of other variables as well?
    From my minimal understanding so far, I think for your diff to act more like a limited-slip you need to use the same wt front and rear.

I put 1 million in my slash 2wd and that helped closing it up some. Before it would just spin one or the other. Now you can get one tire off the ground and the other will spin so itll still move forwards.

I also put the same 1m in the rear of my 4x4 rustler and it was a little much i think. It pushes through the steering a bit on loose surfaces.

I have some 100k that I've been thinking about putting in there when i get some motivation. Its been so cold. I also dont really need a near locked diff on a 4wd model.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Waiting on my grease and oil to get here from traxxas, cleaning in the meantime, hopefully I'll remember how it all goes lol

Do you guys normally clean things with soap and water or brake cleaner or something else?

For me, soap & water on some things, Simple Green on other things. For the gasket, soap & water should be good enough. For the rest of the diff, I'd suggest starting with soap & water, using a toothbrush (or something similar), to get the majority of the crud off, then spray with Simple Green, and finally rinse with water & dry. Then, let everything sit (at minimum) overnight, to be certain EVERYTHING is dry.

Regarding taking the diffs apart to whenever I do that, I line up the parts in exactly the same order that they go together, placing them on a pair towel. Then, as I'm cleaning them, and placing them on a new paper, I line then up in the same order. After rinsing & hand-drying, I place them on a third prayer towel, again to in the exact same order. In other words, it pays to be meticulous about keeping parts "in order".