RC poster

Question A few questions about Summit

Welcome!

I want to buy Traxxas Summit and I have some questions about this model:

1. Brushless set - max. 11,1 V. Which? I have always driving brushless kits and I do not have experience brushed motors.
    2. Frequently failures in normal exploatation - not hardcore driving.
    3. Tires - original tires are very soft. Is it worth replacing them with a bit harder?
    4. What is worth upgrading at first?
    5. What are the dimensions (in mm) of battery box?

Best Regards

LITE

RC Racer
    Run it stock with two 2s lipos. This vehicle is so much fun the way it comes. As soon as you unbox it and put some battery's in, check the dual servo alignment to be sure they are not fighting each other, (this is common) pretty easy to adjust. If you get the front tires wedged between obstackles don't try to force it out with steering, you'll defiantly kill a steering servo. I love the stock tires. However, they do tear easy so once they get small tears in them I wouldn't run in water because the huge foams will soak up a lot of water and rot. Once they get wet they are impossible to get completely dry. I have worn out a couple of spur gears but that's a cheap and easy fix. I would also keep a spare set of axles. The ones I have broken mostly come from not remembering to unlock the hubs when I'm jumping in high gear. Be advised there two different lengths of axles on the truck. Finally, I have several bashers, a couple of trail trucks and two dedicated rock crawlers. However, when we get the Summits out It's just a blast to have a hybrid vehicle that does it all and takes a beating. Enjoy!

RC Enthusiast
    1. The 775 brushed titan motor running two 2S lipos almost gets to 20mph in high gear. Plenty of torque to go up obstacles easily.
    2. With no power upgrades, the drive axles may be the weakest point.
    3. Tires are soft for a reason and that is to make the Summit go over everything with good traction. Of course tires could always be changed to match the terrain but the Canyon ATs are made for general use.
    4. Fully standard, it is a jack of all trades so upgrading it will depend on what you want it do better. The great thing about the Summit is that it's been around awhile and parts support is everywhere.
    5. The dimensions for the two battery boxes are 42mm deep, 30mm high and 178mm in lenght when you remove the foam padding/spacers in there.

RC poster
    Welcome Guys!

Thank you for your replies. And I have another few questions:

1. Real quality of Traxxas - I have different opinions,
    2. Real range of TQi BlueTooth Ready (56076-4),
    3. Real quality of Traxxas electronics.

Best Regards
    LITE

RC Enthusiast
    There is nothing bad about the stock Traxxas Summit as it was designed for. But in my case, I just wanted to change practically everything just because I wanted to see what it would take. The only thing stock left is one micro servo.

RC poster
    It looks like my old Maverick Strada MT - tons of hop-up parts

RC Enthusiast
    Hi Lite, I just picked up my first RC, a Traxxas Summit. I got it used. While there were many used options out there, I chose to pick a 100% stock one. It's a blast to drive if speed is not your thing. However, it is not slow.

I have a question for you Summit owners out there that may be good info for Lite as well.
    I'm running my Summit with 2 x 2s Lipo 5200Mah. And it looks like after about 10 minutes of mixed driving (high and low gears, some launches and crawling) the ESC cuts the output to 50% (Low-Voltage Detection is active for running Lipo). I don't mind the loss of speed, I'm just concerned not to run my Lipos down to low in voltage so I stop running it. But the lipo batteries when I charge them are still more than halfway full at that point. Is that normal for a 5200ah battery set?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-Subiefan View Post
    Hi Lite, I just picked up my first RC, a Traxxas Summit. I got it used. While there were many used options out there, I chose to pick a 100% stock one. It's a blast to drive if speed is not your thing. However, it is not slow.

I have a question for you Summit owners out there that may be good info for Lite as well.
    I'm running my Summit with 2 x 2s Lipo 5200Mah. And it looks like after about 10 minutes of mixed driving (high and low gears, some launches and crawling) the ESC cuts the output to 50% (Low-Voltage Detection is active for running Lipo). I don't mind the loss of speed, I'm just concerned not to run my Lipos down to low in voltage so I stop running it. But the lipo batteries when I charge them are still more than halfway full at that point. Is that normal for a 5200ah battery set?
    I typically would run 8000mAh-class batteries so Im not sure the runtime that a pair of 5200mAh should give. If youd like to know what you your packs are doing in real time, get a programmable low voltage alarm and have it connected to one of the batteries while running. Set the alarm level to 3.6V per cell and see how long it takes to sound off. This should give a clue if your packs are able to handle the amp draw.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you ksb51rl.
    I have a low voltage alarm, and have ran different tests and measurements since. I always keep an eye on the voltage.
    I may just have cheap Lipo batteries that don't truly have the listed mah. I started a thread with more details about it if you'd be kind to read and reply. I don't want hijack this tread about my newbie problem.

RC poster
    Can I ask why you reversed the motor set up, as I'm just about to fit a vxl 5s esc and motor out of a e revo, also what parts did you use to reverse it , cheers Si

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Siandhell View Post
    Can I ask why you reversed the motor set up, as I'm just about to fit a vxl 5s esc and motor out of a e revo, also what parts did you use to reverse it , cheers Si
    The erevo model MODEL 56036-4 sported two brushed motors and apparently the previous owner of my Summit installed this. The part number is 5690 and can be seen in the erevo exploded view -> E-Revo (56036-4) Transmission Assembly Exploded View

This is the video I made of upgrading my Summit that shows why I mounted it the way I did as well as other parts that went into it . . .