RC Enthusiast

First Rustler 4x4

Little background on me: About 25 years ago I raced a Team Losi LXT. Loved the hobby but grew up and out of it. Earlier this year I bought a 2WD Rustler for bashing. I was amazed at the leap in performance the hobby has made.
    I recently bought a Rustler 4x4 slider off eBay. It came with rear RPM arms, aluminum TRX axle carriers all around, and aluminum TRX steering blocks. It came with no shocks, wheels, body, servo, driveshafts, motor/ESC, or electronics
    So far I've purchased:
    Kingsea shocks all around
    GPM driveshafts all around
    Traxxas heavy duty front arms
    OEM 2075 servo
    Hobbywing Max10 SCT-A combo
    FlySky FS-GT3 radio
    OEM front and rear differentials
    Rustler 4x4 green and blue body
    Other various odds and ends
    I've been slowly disassembling the truck, inspecting and cleaning it as I go. I noticed from the eBay pics the rear diff looked suspect - it had a bunch of dried up super glue all over it - and the front diff was missing an output gear so I ordered replacements for both. Other than that, what's on the truck looked good.
    When I opened up the diffs I noticed both had grease but no oil. I've read the front should have diff oil. Shouldn't that negate having grease in it? Also, what kind of grease is good for the rear diff?
    I'll update with pics, soon.

RC Enthusiast
    Here's where it all starts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    My front diff had a pretty thick oil in it, I have my car all apart and am about to clean the rear diff so I'll open it up and take a picture and let you know

RC Enthusiast
    Looks like packed with grease

I am going to clean all that grease up and put a 50k or 100k weight or mixture of both (if you can do that lol) in the rear so that will take the place of the grease inside, however you still want to have marine grease from what others are telling me or the grease traxxas sells (which I have coming) on the outside of the diff in the housing
    Last edited by Pab; 11-25-2020 at 01:31 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    That helps a lot, Pap. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pab View Post
    Looks like packed with grease

I am going to clean all that grease up and put a 50k or 100k weight or mixture of both (if you can do that lol) in the rear so that will take the place of the grease inside, however you still want to have marine grease from what others are telling me or the grease traxxas sells (which I have coming) on the outside of the diff in the housing
    Almost looks like super dirty think oil

I like marine grease on my gears and and bearings but I play in water and the beach...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I have 150k in my merv. 500k in my xmaxx and once I put in my *** diff into my 2wd rustler I'll put 100k to 200k in that.

I like a more locked diff. Seems to do well for bashing for me.

RC Enthusiast
    Some before and one after pic. The opened diff is actually the front one. You can see my confusion with the grease. I'm not too surprised to see no oil but I didn't expect grease in there.
    Unfortunately I didn't take pics in progress after I cleaned everything up but I think that last pic shows the improvement I've made so far

The diff housing will have some grease. Stock it doesn't have much. But inside the diff should be silicone oil. Some people have put grease inside the diffs... But ideal to put the right at oil