RC Competitor

How many versions of x maxx were made

Wondering how many versions of x maxx were made trying to figure out if I have the newest one and how can I tell

There are two. 6s version with a vxl6s and wanna say 1600kv motor and different diffs and a slipper clutch.

Then 8s with vxl8s esc and 1200kv motor and bigger diffs and a cushdrive vs slipper clutch.

If you don't have the stock esc. Look for the slipper to tell if it's 6s...

Or would have to look for a model #. Perhaps under motor.

Some people who had the 6s truck would change out motor and esc. And put in the 8s diffs. And some also swapped out the slipper for the cush drive. So

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Acid, don't forget about the 6s version with the 8s power up conversion kit. It had a VXL8 ESC, the original 1600kv motor, center diff, and the upgraded diffs, cups, and axles.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Competitor
    Mine has the plastic washers on the body so the cage doesn't pull through the body its orange with orange shocks and orgamge wheel nuts I'm pretty sure it's the newest version has the vxl 8s esc

RC Champion
    As I know, there are two versions released, 6S and 8S. As mates says, any versions comes with the washers in the body, mine for example.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Acid, don't forget about the 6s version with the 8s power up conversion kit. It had a VXL8 ESC, the original 1600kv motor, center diff, and the upgraded diffs, cups, and axles.
    On the other hand, it makes you wonder why they went to the 1200XL motor (1275KV) on the newer 8S versions instead of sticking with the 1600XL motor. I still say the 1600XL motor is a 6S version motor period and the 1200XL motor is an 8S motor.

I know guys are running the 1600XL motor all day long with the VXL-8S ESC; but that is a mismatch that was overlooked with the power-up conversion kits because I think they had solved the fire issues at that point with the fuseable link fix.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I know guys are running the 1600XL motor all day long with the VXL-8S ESC; but that is a mismatch that was overlooked with the power-up conversion kits because I think they had solved the fire issues at that point with the fuse-able link fix.
    My understanding is that the 1600kv motor is right on the line of being a 6s or 8s motor depending on the weight of the vehicle. They use a 1650kv motor on the XO-1, and some of the guys use it with a XLX-X and 8s without any problems. With the weight of the Xmaxx, I think (IMO) using a 1600kv motor should only be used with 6s.

I have a XLX-X and a 1340kv motor on my Xmaxx, and I was told by Dan Kershaw that this setup was on the line with using 6s or 8s, so I got to believe that running the original Traxxas 1600kv motor with a 8s Xmaxx would really be pushing that motor more than it should be pushed.

I think (IMO) the reason why Traxxas didn't include a motor change in with the 6s to 8s conversion kit was money and customer relations. That conversion kit was already setting at 300 dollars with just the ESC and drivetrain parts, and the original 6s Xmaxx was sold for 700 bucks. (IMO), I think Traxxas didn't want to deal with a bunch of peed off 6s guys having to spend an extra 500 dollars (a total of 1200 dollars) to have the same thing a new 8s Xmaxx owner was getting for only 800 bucks.

The fuse-able link thing was just a band-aid on a larger problem. The larger problem being that the original 1600kv motor and 6s ESC was way to small for the size and weight of the Xmaxx. That's why the original Xmaxx's gearing was so strict, and why it only topped out at 35 mile per hour. Yes, Traxxas kept the price of the original Xmaxx down by keeping it 6s, but (IMO) Traxxas underestimated their customers lust for speed. A 35mph Xmaxx just isn't any fun, and when guys started gearing them up is when the ESC fire problems started.

With the ESC fires came the fuse-able link, then the power up kit, and then the 8s Xmaxx. The fuse-able links stopped the ESC fires, but not the ESC failures. The power up kits stopped the ESC failures, but not the over heating of the motors. The 8s Xmaxx solved the ESC and motor problems, but the Xmaxx's reputation had already been damaged. The 8s Xmaxx should of been the only Xmaxx offering from the very beginning.

There's an old American principle I think applies here, "Do the job right the first time, so you don't have to come back and do it again." (IMO) if Traxxas keeps this in the back of their minds (as they're making new RC's) I think they will be much better off, and will set a better standard for their competition to follow. The 8s Xmaxx is a great truck, but a lot of people sure took an unnecessary beating for it to finally get here.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-27-2020 at 07:11 AM.

RC Champion
    Traxxas manufactured the best-
    The most durable toy I own
    6s Xmaxx with its inferior
    diff gears ,cvd’s, esc, an wheels
    made Traxxas huge profits
    Still the number one rc seller in the world

Enjoy one after another
    fabricator

My understanding is that the 1600kv motor is right on the line of being a 6s or 8s motor depending on the weight of the vehicle. They use a 1650kv motor on the XO-1, and some of the guys use it with a XLX-X and 8s without any problems. With the weight of the Xmaxx, I think (IMO) using a 1600kv motor should only be used with 6s.
    O.K. - Let me stop you right there. I noticed that not just in this paragraph, you keep stating: (IMO).

ReglarGuy, you and I are both knowledgeable enough to understand and know the difference between being humble and just putting it the way it is. You don't have to be so humble when it comes to calling it like it is.

In other words, "It is what it is!"

Any chart of motors to available ESC compatibility options when it comes to vehicle weights and gearing definitely state that motors with a 1600~1650Kv rating should only be used (or as they put it: Recommended) with 6S in mind. Hence the induction of the 1200XL motor when it comes to the X-Maxx's weight!

There is a difference between what is recommended and what is known to work without issues. Point in case; look at all the problems this truck (6S Version) has had when just the minimal threshold of parts were used just so it could get to market faster before any thorough testing was ever obviously completed.

I have a XLX-X and a 1340kv motor on my Xmaxx, and I was told by Dan Kershaw that this setup was on the line with using 6s or 8s, so I got to believe that running the original Traxxas 1600kv motor with a 8s Xmaxx would really be pushing that motor more than it should be pushed.
    I'm very, very glad you did not use (IMO) in this paragraph because it is true. Using a 1600XL motor with a VXL-8S ESC and running 8S is pushing that motor beyond its intended manufacturing limits when it comes to the X-Maxx's weight.

Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? No. Why? Because your points further on down in this post explain why.

I think (IMO) the reason why Traxxas didn't include a motor change in with the 6s to 8s conversion kit was money and customer relations.
    Again, that is not based on anyone's opinion, that is exactly the way it happened. Traxxas had to cut corners at every angle to save face when it came to its 6S flubbed truck that they knew they had pushed to market with serious flaws that were not corrected until almost five full years later.

I had the 6S version truck when it first came out in 2015 and was so disappointed in that truck that I posted nothing of its existence in my arsenal on the Traxxas forums. I was so mad that I couldn't even post straight without wanting to use a swear word as every other word.

That conversion kit was already setting at 300 dollars with just the ESC and drivetrain parts, and the original 6s Xmaxx was sold for 700 bucks. (IMO), I think Traxxas didn't want to deal with a bunch of peed off 6s guys having to spend an extra 500 dollars (a total of 1200 dollars) to have the same thing a new 8s Xmaxx owner was getting for only 800 bucks.
    Again, that is not an opinion. I'm one of the guys that Traxxas did pull this little stint on by offering a conversion kit to fix a beta version testing platform truck.

I immediately cut tail and sold the truck and waited another couple years while Traxxas smacked their engineering team in the head and got them a fresh cup of coffee and had them go back to the drawing board and fix some serious issues.

The fuse-able link thing was just a band-aid on a larger problem. The larger problem being that the original 1600kv motor and 6s ESC was way to small for the size and weight of the Xmaxx.
    Yeah, and you see how long it took them to figure that out!

That's why the original Xmaxx's gearing was so strict, and why it only topped out at 35 mile per hour. Yes, Traxxas kept the price of the original Xmaxx down by keeping it 6s, but (IMO) Traxxas underestimated their customers lust for speed. A 35mph Xmaxx just isn't any fun, and when guys started gearing them up is when the ESC fire problems started.
    Now how could a company that uses the slogan: "The Fastest Name In Radio Control" underestimate what its customers want?

Again, lets cut the crap and call it like it is. No (IMO) in other words. It all came down to the fact that Traxxas pushed a 6S version of this truck onto the public to first see if the idea itself would sell.

When it caught like wildfire, they were already too deep into production and couldn't cut tail mid-stream to fix serious flaws without losing a lot of serious money and production time.

With the ESC fires came the fuse-able link, then the power up kit, and then the 8s Xmaxx. The fuse-able links stopped the ESC fires, but not the ESC failures. The power up kits stopped the ESC failures, but not the over heating of the motors. The 8s Xmaxx solved the ESC and motor problems, but the Xmaxx's reputation had already been damaged. The 8s Xmaxx should of been the only Xmaxx offering from the very beginning.
    Finally! This is the most important paragraph of your whole post! You just gave a brief synopsis of the exact way the chain of disastrous events unfolded at Traxxas headquarters.

I wonder how many people got to keep their jobs when or if the reputation factor ever actually came into question? Either way, I wouldn't of wanted to be any part of that team that was in charge of trying to figure out how to climb out of a production issue hole like that.

There's an old American principle I think applies here, "Do the job right the first time, so you don't have to come back and do it again." (IMO) if Traxxas keeps this in the back of their minds (as they're making new RC's) I think they will be much better off, and will set a better standard for their competition to follow. The 8s Xmaxx is a great truck, but a lot of people sure took an unnecessary beating for it to finally get here.
    Well spoken and remember, I am one of the guys that went through that beta trial truck tribulation to arrive at this updated truck we have in 2020.

Oh, and yes, I have to bring to point again that it is not an opinion that a company should hold these principles to the strictest of standards; they should do it naturally for self preservation if they have any concept of what it means to gain further customer loyalty or retain any customer loyalty that they may already have.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 11-27-2020 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Updated.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    Traxxas manufactured the best-
    The most durable toy I own
    6s Xmaxx with its inferior
    diff gears ,cvd’s, esc, an wheels
    made Traxxas huge profits
    Still the number one rc seller in the world

Enjoy one after another
    Of course, agree with this.

O.K. - Let me stop you right there. I noticed that not just in this paragraph, you keep stating: (IMO).
    You don't have to be so humble when it comes to calling it like it is.
    I can't help it, Flux. I'm a very humble, and wonderful person. Ooops, I forgot to mention good looking and modest too? (lol)

I immediately cut tail and sold the truck and waited another couple years while Traxxas smacked their engineering team in the head and got them a fresh cup of coffee and had them go back to the drawing board and fix some serious issues.
    I don't think it was an engineering thing. I think it was more than likely a marketing thing. I've experience this myself where our department was tasked to come up with a certain thing to do a certain job, only do be told by Bean-Counters to make it cheaper. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened with the first Xmaxx, and why it got the 6s system (rather than the 8s system) along with strict instructions in the owner's manual on how to gear it.

If it would of been an engineering thing, the owner's manual wouldn't of been published with such strict gearing requirements...a basic function and responsibility of the engineering department. My hunch is (notice I didn't say IMO...lol) when the engineering team reluctantly made their marketing department's inspired 8s to 6s changes, the engineering team made it work...but, only under certain circumstances.

That's why I said above,
    That's why the original Xmaxx's gearing was so strict, and why it only topped out at 35 mile per hour. Yes, Traxxas kept the price of the original Xmaxx down by keeping it 6s, but (IMO) Traxxas underestimated their customers lust for speed. A 35mph Xmaxx just isn't any fun, and when guys started gearing them up is when the ESC fire problems started.
    If I had to make someone a bad guy here, it wouldn't be the engineers. It (IMO) would be the marketing department, the top dogs that listened to them, and the guys that didn't follow the gearing guidelines in the owner's manual. I have to use (IMO) here (and at other times too) when I don't have actual proof, but can only speculate by using my own personal experiences and good ol' ReglarGuy common sense.

P.S. Every time I write a lengthy post, you always write a longer. one I'm never going to win the Traxxas Post Length Awards if you keep this up. (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-27-2020 at 02:01 PM.

I don't think it was an engineering thing. I think it was more than likely a marketing thing. I've experience this myself where our department was tasked to come up with a certain thing to do a certain job, only do be told by Bean-Counters to make it cheaper. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened with the first Xmaxx, and why it got the 6s system (rather than the 8s system) along with strict instructions in the owner's manual on how to gear it.

If it would of been an engineering thing, the owner's manual wouldn't of been published with such strict gearing requirements...a basic function and responsibility of the engineering department. My hunch is (notice I didn't say IMO...lol) when the engineering team reluctantly made their marketing department's inspired 8s to 6s changes, the engineering team made it work...but, only under certain circumstances.
    Well actually, if you recall correctly, we don't get "Owners Manuals" anymore; we get what is called a "Quick Start Guide". A person has to actually go online to look up any possibility of ever doing something that will damage their truck unintentionally.

Bean-Counters or no Bean-Counters, if marketing is calling the shots, then that is the prime example of why ProModeler isn't going through these types of mishaps that hurt reputation. A smart owner doesn't let the marketing department call the shots when it comes to a products performance due to Bean-Counters pointing out a budget.

If I had to make someone a bad guy here, it wouldn't be the engineers. It (IMO) would be the marketing department, the top dogs that listened to them, and the guys that didn't follow the gearing guidelines in the owner's manual. I have to use (IMO) here (and at other times too) when I don't have actual proof, but can only speculate by using my own personal experiences and good ol' ReglarGuy common sense.
    Somehow I can't help but to think of the guy standing on the very limb he is cutting off with the chainsaw whilst very high off the ground. Seriously though, if you have a sound business, there should be no squabbling among the departments to get the job done.

In other words, it is as much the engineers fault as any of the other departments because he didn't stand up to corporate bullying that tries to tell him that a circle is stronger than a triangle because of a budget. Heck, I would even blame the guy sweeping the floors and emptying the garbage at Traxxas if I had to! Nah, I wouldn't go that far, but you get the picture.

This is the type of nonsense that has to stop at Traxxas if they ever want to get it right the first time. Any engineer knows that a triangle is the stronger shape by geometric designing standards than the circle.

However, since the big shots higher up tell him otherwise or walk, he swallows his knowledge and designs something based on a budget and stupidity and doesn't question it because he'll still have his job tomorrow if he doesn't.

P.S. Every time I write a lengthy post, you always write a longer. one I'm never going to win the Traxxas Post Length Awards if you keep this up. (lol)
    I'm just getting warmed up cubby! If you wanted to know what I really think, I'll just shoot you the other fifty paragraphs in a PM that I excluded from my reply to save the forum bandwidth!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 11-27-2020 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Updated.

In other words, it is as much the engineers fault as any of the other departments because he didn't stand up to corporate bullying that tries to tell him that a circle is stronger than a triangle because of a budget. Heck, I would even blame the guy sweeping the floors and emptying the garbage at Traxxas if I had to! Nah, I wouldn't go that far, but you get the picture.
    The nice thing about aviation is that everything has to be signed off on by a signing authority. If I had a VP or department head that wanted me to do something, that I knew wasn't right or wouldn't work, I'd tell them I'll do what ever they want; but they have to sign the paperwork.

In aviation, a guy can loose his license for doing something dumb, or go to jail for doing something intentionally wrong. In my case, it was my DER certificate that I was safeguarding. Having a license, rating, or certificate is everything in aviation. Without one, you don't work in your chosen field. That's what I always liked about the aviation industry, was it's accountability. In non-aviation and non-transportation fields you don't have that kind of safeguard or accountability, so executives and bean-counters can get away with doing or making others do dumb things.

The hobby industry isn't setup like the aviation or transportation field. It would be nice if it were, but people's lives aren't at stake with hobbies. Like you and I both say, though, they should want to do their very best. Unfortunately, in a lot of industries today, it's all about profit.

Now, I think profit is very important; but personal pride, honor, and integrity should also be very high on the list. In defense of the Traxxas engineers, I wouldn't be in the least surprised if they didn't kick up a fuss with the original 6s Xmaxx, but when you got a family to feed, bills to pay, and probably very little security you do what you got to do.

Is it right, no. Is it fair? No, but unfortunately life isn't always right, fair, and the way we want it to be. Do we allow ourselves to become bitter, and resentful. No, we show people the right way, and hope they will follow our example.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-27-2020 at 06:42 PM.

The nice thing about aviation is that everything has to be signed off on by a signing authority. If I had a VP or department head that wanted me to do something, that I knew wasn't right or wouldn't work, I'd tell them I'll do what ever they want; but they have to sign the paperwork.

In aviation, a guy can loose his license for doing something dumb, or go to jail for doing something intentionally wrong. In my case, it was my DER certificate that I was safeguarding. Having a license, rating, or certificate is everything in aviation. Without one, you don't work in your chosen field. That's what I always liked about the aviation industry, was it's accountability. In non-aviation and non-transportation fields you don't have that kind of safeguard or accountability, so executives and bean-counters can get away with doing or making others do dumb things.

The hobby industry isn't setup like the aviation or transportation field. It would be nice if it were, but people's lives aren't at stake with hobbies. Like you and I both say, though, they should want to do their very best. Unfortunately, in a lot of industries today, it's all about profit.

Now, I think profit is very important; but personal pride, honor, and integrity should also be very high on the list. In defense of the Traxxas engineers, I wouldn't be in the least surprised if they didn't kick up a fuss with the original 6s Xmaxx, but when you got a family to feed, bills to pay, and probably very little security you do what you got to do.

Is it right, no. Is it fair? No, but unfortunately life isn't always right, fair, and the way we want it to be. Do we allow ourselves to become bitter, and resentful. No, we show people the right way, and hope they will follow our example.
    I am also aware of the real dangers presented when certain orders are ignored or circumvented under protest as we also had to sign off on every single move we made on ship in the Navy below decks in order to maintain a safe engineering main propulsion environment.

I'll admit in all fairness to Traxxas, they aren't NASA and no one's life is on the line if they get it wrong. However, I am left with this one burning question in my mind that escapes all reason when it comes to pushing their products to market.

I understand the way the non-life threatening business industry works also. No one is held accountable and everyone goes back to work the next day like nothing happened. If your business has enough assets to laugh off a 30~50 million dollar mistake every three quarters like its pocket change, then surely that business has enough assets to get it right the first time.

Am I missing something here?

I mean I understand when things are intentionally done wrong to keep people employed; but there does come a time when that particular business model no longer has focus or credibility because customers become aware that they are not just buying a product anymore, they are supporting intentional mistakes to keep a business from laying people off and it keeps the prices going up when technology should be bringing them down.

Like I mentioned before, if this all would be approached from a standpoint of not seeing who can spit farther, productivity and quality would reach a better standard. Unfortunately, the corporate shot callers are the ones seeing who can write their name better in the snow versus the next guy grabbing his ankles just so he'll have a job the next day.

X-Maxx Timeline?

I had written down some dates a long time ago but not sure if this is accurate. Can someone confirm these timelines?

X-Maxx History...
    November 2015 (6S Version)
    December 2016 (6S-8S Power Upgrade Kit)
    February 2017 (8S Version)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
    I had written down some dates a long time ago but not sure if this is accurate. Can someone confirm these timelines?

X-Maxx History...
    November 2015 (6S Version)
    December 2016 (6S-8S Power Upgrade Kit)
    February 2017 (8S Version)
    Yep, that's sound right. I ordered my Xmaxx in November 2015, and got it just in time for Christmas in 2015. Then a year later the power up kit came out along with the tailgate guard. And, the year after that the 8s Xmaxx came out. I remember, cuz with each step Traxxas Xmaxx owners kept getting peed-off in the forums.

I'll admit in all fairness to Traxxas, they aren't NASA and no one's life is on the line if they get it wrong. However, I am left with this one burning question in my mind that escapes all reason when it comes to pushing their products to market.
    Like I said in post seven, Flux. I think Traxxas marketing didn't want to go past 6s in order to keep the cost down, or to make a better profit. The Traxxas Xmaxx engineering team made it work, but only under certain gearing conditions. Those conditions were accepted by the Traxxas marketing department and the top brass. The strict gearing chart was put in the owner's manual, and both the gearing chart and 6s was put onto the market. Theoretically, everything should of been fine.

Yes, Traxxas kept the price of the original Xmaxx down by keeping it 6s, but (IMO) Traxxas underestimated their customers lust for speed. A 35mph Xmaxx just isn't any fun, and when guys started gearing them up is when the ESC fire problems started.
    Like I said in post seven and above, Flux, theoretically, everything should of been fine, but Traxxas underestimated their customers lust for more Xmaxx speed and power. When guys got bored with the Xmaxx top end being 35 mile per hour, and started going beyond the Traxxas owner's manual gearing chart, that's when the ESC fire problems started.

Personally, I have no problem with shaking my finger at Traxxas for making a boring 6s Xmaxx (that tops out only at 35mph) when the Xmaxx first came out, but I can't blame them for the original Xmaxx 6s ESC fires. Those were the fault of 6s Xmaxx owners who didn't follow the 6s Xmaxx's gearing chart. Personally, I thought that Traxxas was way more supportive than they had to be.

I wouldn't of been nearly as generous, but I would of done the roll out of the 6s Xmaxx, and the Power Up Kit differently by having them both offered at exactly the same time as the 6 Xmaxx launch.

I would of offered the 6s Xmaxx with it's strict gearing and 35 mile top speed (for those who wanted the cheapest price), and also offered the Power Up Kit as a 6s option (rather than a 8 option) for the guys who didn't mind spending a little bit more money to go past the 6s Xmaxx's original gearing chart.

Now, with the 8s Power Up Kit being a "6s Gearing and Power Up Kit," I would of also included a revised gearing chart and a set of Traxxas recommended gears. I think if Traxxas would have done this, the 6s Xmaxx launch wouldn't of been nearly as disastrous, and you, my friend Flux, would be the happiest person in the world. (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-28-2020 at 08:51 AM.

When guys got bored with the Xmaxx top end being 35 mile per hour, and started going beyond the Traxxas owner's manual gearing chart, that's when the ESC fire problems started.
    That isn't entirely accurate. There was someone on here who posted a video a while back of him walking beside his X-Maxx just getting ready to start the run and just at walking speed the darn thing burst into a smoke cloud with the fuse-able link installed. There were various other cases documented as well with proof that none of the original wiring, electronics or gearing were changed and the things were catching on fire at walking speed.

Still wanna go with the gearing or user error as the sole cause?

I'm not insinuating that gearing or user error couldn't be a cause; however in light of the documented video I've seen here and various others on YouYube; gearing or user error had absolutely nothing to do with them catching on fire because all they did was plug in the batteries and start walking beside it before anything even had the slightest chance of getting hot and all of the sudden flames (not just smoke) were coming from under the body shell from the VXL-6S ESC.

There was a serious problem going on other than just gearing or lust for speed ReglarGuy. Traxxas was hoping people (not me) would have a short memory of those incidents; however they do exist with proof that nothing was changed from stock and the things were a fire hazard just at walking speed.

As a matter of fact, the member rizz0d is the one that sent Traxxas video of his X-Maxx going up in smoke and I don't think they helped him if I recall correctly. Imagine that, he had actual video footage of him walking by his X-Maxx as the problem occurred in real time with their fuse-able link fix installed.

Odd thing is, he mentioned running the thing flawlessly for a year without problems and after installing the fuse-able link the fire hazard happened. He mentioned something also about firmware, so you might want to re-read that thread.

Here is the link to his thread that you were a part of as well:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...rk-vxl6-s-fire

Also in 2019 a member posted about his fire incident; but I'm not entirely sure of the full details on that one. I think you actually participated in that thread too; so maybe you could help me out with the details on that one. Doesn't seem likely that they would be catching on fire now without some help.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 11-28-2020 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Updated.

Here is that other thread that you replied in ReglarGuy that I was mentioning:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...30#post6514030

rizz0d replied also and was pretty livid that cjbond12 got Traxxas support outside of warranty and he did not even with a video.

Also, rizz0d did explain in his own thread of the VXL-6S fire that his firmware was not updated to the latest version because he had read that something about the throttle mapping was changed. Is it what caused his fire? Maybe, but that wasn't user error, that was user choice to not do an update.

He did admit that it was a matter of when, not if - I assume he was referring to the update when using the fusible link that a fire might happen if the fusible link was used without the ESC firmware update.

Now if choosing to not do an update causes ESC's to catch fire, Traxxas better do something other than Fusible link fixes and issue strict mandate warnings that not updating can cause a fire hazard in certain ESC's. Of course since this has all been swept under the rug, we would have to wait for more fire related incidents to occur before isolating it to users not updating firmware to be certain it can be considered a cause.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 11-28-2020 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Updated.

ESC 🔥 🔥 🔥 Issue...

Hmmm, I've been reading this thread and it is very interesting to me, or are we all just that bored?

I was thinking about some things though, trying to be neutral and trying to understand what I've read so far. Especially with the video linked from post #17 (rizz0d) and the first thing I thought of is if I'm Traxxas, I see the X-Maxx 6S with T-plugs (aka Dean connectors) and think, voided warranty. Fusible link, updated firmware or not...voided warranty. Now having said that, me, personally (again I obviously don't know all of the facts with this case), I would try to be reasonable and not scapegoat the connectors if I were Traxxas. I think Traxxas would do the same but again, I'm assuming they would have tried to get all the facts before making their decision.

From my experience with Traxxas support...I mean...they have to be (IMO, lol-there it is from me too) one of the BEST companies out there offering great customer support. They get it! That's why Traxxas gets my money. Plain and simple. I have the peace of mind and confidence that Traxxas will, more often than not, do the right thing in the end. Traxxas, Horizon, heck Amazon and Costco, they all seem to get it. They're also all killing it! You'd think more companies would pay attention to this basic, yet powerful concept of providing GREAT customer support. Nope, instead they make it darn near impossible to speak to a human being, if that's even an option! They try every way to force you through some contact by email support only, if that's even an option...all to save the cost of having a call center and proper customer service. Yet, Traxxas and others provide great customer service and they are doing good in their respective industries. Granted, I think Traxxas and Horizon are privately owned, so they don't get pressure from Wall Street to squeeze every penny out to cut costs in hopes of increasing the stock price but the last time I checked, Amazon - I can't afford to buy Amazon's stock. They are a beast and you can speak to an agent, 24/7, get right through to a human being and they do the right thing in the end and are always very nice about it! I just love companies that get this. However, most companies today now seem to skimp on customer service but Traxxas doesn't. GREAT customer support that I've received so far. I say so far, knowing any company can choose to take another direction and support can suffer. Hopefully this is never the case with Traxxas. But I've dealt with them first hand, several times and have often documented my personal experiences on this forum and other forums and Traxxas is currently at the top of my list for GREAT support! So I'm a little surprised about the outcome in that other thread but again, there are two sides to every story.

Okay, sorry for that side note but getting back to this ESC fire issue...��

Again, I feel there is more to this story regarding rizz0d's video. If not, then maybe early on, Traxxas was playing hardball to escape accountability for defective equipment. ? I dunno but I we do know his wasn't the only case. Having said that, how many X-Maxx's have had zero issues compared with these infamous ESC fires? I'd bet the percentage is small, not that this excuses the issue. But it brings up other questions too, such as...why are some still having issues with their newer 8S X-Maxx's? I think I recall watching a fairly recent video of an 8S-Green edition like mine, claim to have an ESC fire issue. Again, don't know the details so apparently this is still happening with some recent 8S X-Maxx's. ???

To be clear, I have not had any issue with my 8S ESC and I hope I don't, or any other electrical component. But everything of mine is stock, using Traxxas connectors - except I'm running aftermarket SMC lipos but those came with Traxxas connectors. Someone suggested that other lipos with high current ratings were to blame for these ESC fire hazards but my SMC lipos are rated at 90C, much higher than the recommended Traxxas 4S lipos. It's also interesting to me to see Kevin Talbot with his latest 8S X-Maxx (Orange version) keep nearly everything stock on his (aside from replacing the Traxxas connectors with aftermarket ones, as he does with all his vehicles-but clearly reminding his viewers..."bye, bye Traxxas warranty!"). I think he even kept the stock servo and as far as I know, his X-Maxx has been holding up just fine.

Nothing is bulletproof, especially dealing with electronic components but I do understand the frustration from those who bought the 6S X-Maxx and hearing how Traxxas tried to remedy this version. What company wouldn't try to figure out a solution and/or mitigate known issue(s) with the goal of having the least impact to the customer and their bottom line? Whether some feel Traxxas was fair in the process will always be debated but it is easy for us to be "Monday morning quarterbacks" and give our opinions which is what an open forum is all about, right!?

It's been said, "the biggest room in the world is room for improvement" and I think the X-Maxx 8S continues to be improved and is a rock solid RC. It's currently my favorite RC and I'm an RC plane guy! lol!

And hey, I know I'm not as smart as some of the guys in this forum but I'm getting a history lesson here and I'm enjoying it!

P.S. When I first read that the 6S X-Maxx went about 35mph out of the box, I almost fell out of my seat. OUCH! That's a lot of money for a little speed imo. Sure am glad to have the 8S!!!

P.P.S. Sorry to the op for this thread going a little off topic but it kind of helps answer the question of the different X-Maxx versions there were and maybe even why the different versions...

Hey Nickerz, nice post!

I also couldn't be in more agreement about Traxxas support being beyond stellar! I have never been turned away, treated disrespectfully or even told that I was wrong by Traxxas support.

With that stated, you can rest assured that I in no way intentionally tried to imply that there isn't two sides to any fire incident reported by members of this forum or any other forum.

Changing battery connectors on the ESC if anything is to improve electrical flow and not impede it.

Now if rizz0d would have been using some type of cheap battery adapters (not connectors) then I would have been ready to make a decision based on the fact that battery adapters can cause a bottle-neck power supply interruption and possibly cause a fire. His fire didn't start at the batteries, it started at the core of the ESC on the positive terminal side.

If you noticed in his second video, all of the damage occurred on the positive terminal wire side of the ESC at the base.

There was no indication whatsoever that his fusible link even attempted to absorb electrical overload. That is why I mentioned battery adapters and not connectors earlier in this post.

Battery adapters are frowned upon heavily because they usually don't carry a rating of amps to be handled versus your battery connectors that are rated at various amp load capacities and usually cause a positive wire failure like you saw in his video only the damage would have started at the fusible link instead of at the base of the ESC.

Also, battery adapters are usually made by a third party that don't understand the consequences of the type of adapter they are making because they have no electrical skills and are just good with a solder gun.

I'm not taking sides, but I do however have an understanding when I see physical evidence of the aftermath like he showed, that there was no indication he had done anything wrong. The fire started at the base of the ESC on the positive terminal side deep in the potting material and indicated by rational reasoning that he had no chance of preventing that; nor did the fusible link either.

If it was something that he had done wrong, such as using cheap battery adapters with no amp rating instead of a good set of amp rated battery connectors, then I would have questioned the integrity of his situation. Also, as I pointed out earlier, there are numerous videos on YouTube that document the same scenario unfolding when nothing was changed on the truck. In other words, everything was stock, even the battery connectors.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 11-28-2020 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Updated.

Flux, I'm not saying that 100% of the 6s Xmaxx fires were caused only by users not following the 6s Xmaxx's owner's manual, but I am saying (IMO) that a lot were. I don't have any hard statistics on the matter. That's why I say (IMO), rather than give an exact percentage.

I can only base my opinion on reading a lot of the post back then, and watching the YouTube video's of the guys showing off how fast their 6s Xmaxx's could go after they changed their gearing. A lot of the guys mention that they were using the asphalt gearing for bashing, and others were using even taller gearing, than that, for speed runs.

Still wanna go with the gearing or user error as the sole cause?
    Yes, with all due respect, I sill do. I know the video you're talking about, and there's a chance we're not getting the full story there. In the back of my mind, I'm wondering, what did that Xmaxx go though before that final mishap. With just that video we have no way of knowing the full operational history of his truck.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...rk-vxl6-s-fire

In the above link, reply#4, I only told this guy what happened to him was a shame. What can I say, I have no problem feeling for a any guy when his hard earned man-toy goes up in fames; no matter what caused it.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...30#post6514030

In this above link, replay#6, I just show how a guy can dump the Traxxas battery setup, and go to battery straps instead...pretty innocent stuff.

P.S. I think Nick might of dethroned Flux (The King of Post Length). (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-29-2020 at 07:47 AM.

I know the video you're talking about, and there's a chance we're not getting the full story there. In the back of my mind, I'm wondering, what did that Xmaxx go though before that final mishap. With just that video we have no way of knowing the full operational history of his truck.
    He did tell us in the very first post that he ran the dickens out of the thing for a year and twelve days. What more operational history could you want? I mean after all, he was the first one I saw posting videos of the darn thing clearing his house on a jump and he did mention that if Traxxas ever saw the posted videos of that, he was wondering if it had anything to do with their decision of making him pay $115 for the new VXL-6S if he sent his burnt one in.

Again, I was very adamant about being careful to not say you were 100% wrong or right about gearing being a culprit. I do however know for a fact that China and Taiwan are responsible for indirectly (I say indirectly because it has never been proven that it is intentional yet) causing fires in many of our consumer products. Cell phones catching on fire in planes mid-flight was a big one.

They are also responsible for poisoning our pets (pet food recalls) and causing many of our daily commute vehicles that we get to work with to deploy air bags when no collision was detected by the impact panels on a vehicle and cause deaths. To me, that is a form of indirect terrorism that goes unchecked because our Consumer Product Safety Commission looks at it as a way for our domestic workers to continue to have a job to fix their intentional mistakes through the recalls process.

Gee, did you ever get the impression that they just don't like us?

I know you're being careful, Flux. I don't think you're a 100% right or wrong either. As far as operational history goes, there are many things I would like to know (if I really wanted to get to the bottom of this guys mishap). Like was he, and how many times was he in mud for instance. Mud can greatly increase the weight and stress to a RC truck. Climbing steep mounds is another one, and pulling things too can cause issues. Using an Xmaxx to plow snow is another one. Sounds like fun, sure, but very hard on a RC truck that's not specifically designed for that kind of use. Over the years, I've seen all kinds of crazy videos of what guys do with their Xmaxx's. I even seen, once, a guy giving his little boy a ride on one.

Now, I'm not saying to not do these things. My personal thoughts on the matter is very simple. It's your truck. You paid for it, so do what you want with it (as long as you don't put someone in danger, or expect warranty). I don't even mind if these guys go for warranty, because that's between them and Traxxas. It's non of my business how other guys and Traxxas deal with each other, but just don't tell me that Traxxas is being unfair, or that your truck's junk when you do goofy things with it...see, I'm very easy to get along with, Flux. (lol)

Note: Flux, when I say you, I don't mean you, specifically. I mean people in general.

As far as products made in China, that's kind of a sore subject with me. I don't think China is specifically trying to hurt any one group of people, but I do know that China's industries are not nearly as regulated as they are here in the United States. They cut corners to make better profits, and their goal is not to make the best and safest products.

Their goal is to finance their military to be the dominant power in the world. The sad thing is, the greed of our American based industries are letting them get away with it. We all seen that when COVID19 came out. What goof thought is was a good idea to have a communist country make all our medical supplies and life saving drugs...dah.

Anyway, I don't want to go to deep here, but I will say that I'd gladly pay a little bit more for all my stuff, if American companies kept the well-being of all their fellow citizens first on their list of corporate priorities.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-29-2020 at 05:02 PM.

I know you're being careful, Flux. I don't think you're a 100% right or wrong either. As far as operational history goes, there are many things I would like to know (if I really wanted to get to the bottom of this guys mishap). Like was he, and how many times was he in mud for instance. Mud can greatly increase the weight and stress to a RC truck. Climbing steep mounds is another one, and pulling things too. Using an Xmaxx to plow snow. Sounds like fun, sure, but very hard on a RC truck that's not specifically designed for that kind of use. Over the years, I've seen all kinds of crazy videos of what guys do with their Xmaxx's. I even seen, once, a guy giving his little boy a ride on one.
    By all means, I agree there are many factors that were not documented about his fire incident, and as far as your participation in the threads I linked, I never meant to imply you had answers to the cause of their fires. I was simply pointing out that you were aware of the incidents.

If gearing was the sole cause of these fire incidents, I would be inclined to wonder how guys have been running tall gearing on stock ESC's for years without incident. There is always a "what if" that makes us wonder how one guy can run any gearing he wants without consequence and yet the moment one guy goes one tooth out of stock specifications, his vehicle burns to the ground.

If all ESC's were created equal - Nah, forget that; that is never going to happen!

I understand you don't want to get into China and the whole marketing reason of the way things are with them. But I'm inclined to have my moments like Mark Walberg playing Bob Lee Swagger in the movie Shooter when he said :I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog."

In my case, China did kill my dog because some ingredients were placed into the food from China not under their label and U.S. inspectors did not catch it in time to recall it fast enough. I always look at my pets food labels and it still did not save my best friends life.

So forgive me if I have a little problem with China and its agenda in the world.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 11-29-2020 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Updated.

I never meant to imply you had answers to the cause of their fires. I was simply pointing out that you were aware of the incidents.
    I I know you didn't, Flux. In fact if you live in Maryland, or if I lived in Tennessee, I think we'd be like that (I have my fingers crossed)...drinking buddies! (lol)

If gearing was the sole cause of these fire incidents, I would be inclined to wonder how guys have been running tall gearing on stock ESC's for years without incident.
    I agree, but I do think that when guys started gearing up their 6s Xmaxx'x past Traxxas recommendations (rather than putting in a higher rated EC and motor) was a pretty big part of the 6s Xmaxx fire problem.

There is always a "what if" that makes us wonder how one guy can run any gearing he wants without consequence and yet the moment one guy goes one tooth out of stock specifications, his vehicle burns to the ground.
    I've seen that too. My little brother was that way. When we were younger, everything (almost everything) he touched he would break. I lent him a rake once, and he even broke that. Now, how in the heck can you break a rake for goodness sake. I can see a shovel; we've all done that once or twice in our lives, but a rake? Fortunately, he did eventually out grow it, but it took about 40 years. (lol)

I remember you telling me about your dog. That was a shame. Yeah, if the Traxxas guys didn't mind us getting into politics I'd really bend your ear about China. Russia too. Both of those governments are nothing but human trash. While I'm at it, I mise-well throw in there Iran and North Korea too. Like I say, we won't get started, and we'll leave that kind of stuff for our PM's.

So, forgive me if I have a little problem with China and its agenda in the world.
    You are totally forgiven. (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-30-2020 at 05:26 AM.

I I know you didn't, Flux. In fact if you live in Maryland, or if I lived in Tennessee, I think we'd be like that (I have my fingers crossed)...drinking buddies! (lol)
    Since I was in the Navy, I have been known to go over 7,500 nautical miles just to have a cold one with friends. The flight distance between Maryland and Tennessee is about 600 miles and the driving distance is about 715 miles depending on our exact locations.

Shoot, I'd walk that distance just to have a cold one with ya ReglarGuy! I still do twenty miles almost every other day by bicycle and when spring and summertime hit, I do twenty miles everyday by pedal bike. Listen to me: "Pedal Bike" - who the heck calls them a pedal bike anymore yet alone ride them when they have a drivers license!

Shoot, I'd walk that distance just to have a cold one with ya ReglarGuy!
    (lol) You crack me up. Down the road, though, the next time I have to go to OKC to teach a systems class, I'm going to give you a holler. I figure, I have take RT40 through the full length of Tennessee, anyway, so why not stop in and visit my good buddy Flux on the way, right? Right! (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-30-2020 at 11:28 AM.

I figure, I have take RT40 through the full length of Tennessee, anyway, so why not stop in and visit my good buddy Flux on the way, right? Right! (lol)
    Just make sure you look up the I-40 road conditions particularly between Johnson City/Knoxville and Morristown because they always seem to have a patch of I-40 in shambles every single month of the year for some reason and I have had my travel times increase by an hour or more just because some idiot didn't know the difference between a white and yellow line that worked for TDOT.

No biggie. I always travel at night, so I can blow though all the construction sites. You're right though, Knoxville and Memphis always has some kind of construction crap going on.