Thread: Changing Tires

Changing Tires

Does anybody have some tire recommendations by experience not by sellers review I need some honest opinion on which tires benefits better rather than the stock ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

There are the belted option tires:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerhobby-...EAAOSwnRZe8ob8

I however own the Badlands and not the belted ones I linked.

To give an honest review of the Pro-Line MX43 ProLoc Badlands........well, I love them! However if running the stock motor with Badlands, I had to gear down the pinion to a 14 tooth instead of the stock 18 tooth with the stock spur to go easier on the motor building heat from the heavier Badlands.

I expected this with the heavier Badlands, but I was willing to accept a lower run time on the stock 6700mah Traxxas 4S batteries. I now run cooler with the 14 tooth pinion and if I want my runtime back up to 35 minutes or more, I would have to get higher mah batteries with a better "C" rating.

I don't ever foresee damaging the Badlands with a stock motor, as the Badlands were designed for those exclusively running the big block 58113 or 2028 Castle (800Kv motors) cans that have massive amounts of torque.

On a side note, from experience I can honestly tell you that when looking for tires other than stock, you are really looking at more than just upgrading tires. You are looking at different gearing options, a bigger motor, different batteries and the list goes on and on and on.....It is a snowball effect from wanting something better than stock and there is always a list with a hefty price when it comes to heavier tires.

I do believe those belted tires are 1.73lbs each.

For comparison on weights:

So actually, those belted tires are 784 grams a piece and that would be heavier than the Pro-Line tires at 511 grams a piece. Something doesn't seem right here, as I always thought the Badlands were heavier. They must have a misprint somewhere in their listings for the belted tires I would think. Or maybe not, but they are claiming they are less weight/lighter; but to that I ask: "Lighter than what?"
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 11-26-2020 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Updated.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

RC Competitor
    The Badlands are about 820g. The 511g is rubber only, so I think they just forgot to add the weight of the wheel.

I have both ProLine Badlands and ProLine Trenchers, and enjoy them both. They have very different driving characteristics, but both are bullet proof. The Trenchers are about 950g. I am using stock now and I'm enjoying the light-weight feel and higher acceleration, longer run-time etc.

To make the stock wheels last longer, it's important to not run with water inside them. So either vent the rubber or seal the wheels. They can also come unglued here and there after running, so make sure to check and re-glue. Also changing tires front to rear will make them wear down evenly.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgemoulic View Post
    Does anybody have some tire recommendations by experience not by sellers review I need some honest opinion on which tires benefits better rather than the stock ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Louise RC has on road tires for X-Maxx too, I have a set of originals for spare. Love this Rock & Roll body.

Quote Originally Posted by MyBall View Post
    The Badlands are about 820g. The 511g is rubber only, so I think they just forgot to add the weight of the wheel.
    Looking back at it now, I'm pretty positive you are correct because it wouldn't make sense for a tire and wheel combo like the Badlands with all its hex hardware to weigh less than a belted tire with no bead locks or hardware.

I hate when manufacturers do this slight of not being specific about a products true full weight when assembled. They at least could add in parenthesis the assembled weight so buyers could do a direct comparison. Then again, it wouldn't have mattered to me for the Badlands purchase because when I saw that the hex hardware went through the tire carcass, I was sold right then and there because I was like: "Man, a manufacturer actually got it right for a change."

I just wish Pro-Line would do this for their 1/10 scale tires for the E-Maxx Brushless using 1.5 or 2mm hex hardware going through the same type of tire compound and tread design. I have went through more tires on my E-Maxx Brushless then any other vehicle I have ever owned because no manufacturer has truly addressed the power to weight ratio of that truck when it comes to the tires.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

I have seen there is a good review for the Hatchet X
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Racer
    I have the Powerhobby Scorpion XL belted wheels. I'm happy with them.

RC Enthusiast
    That’s what I’ll be running are the scorpions. Pro line it’s a good tire but it’s too heavy last thing I wanna do is add weight.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgemoulic View Post
    I have seen there is a good review for the Hatchet X
    i just ordered a set of those.

RC poster
    I sure wish Traxxas would come out with a set of Sledgehammer tires for the X-Maxx, hint hint. I enjoy running those on my Maxx!
    4s Maxx
    8s X-Maxx
    UDR