RC Competitor

Jump Recommendations Needed

My son has fun jumping his 1/16 e-revo vxl off the bike jump, but I was looking/wanting something a bit more geared towards r/c. I know I can build one out of wood, but I think for now I am mainly interested in just purchases one already built. So far I have found:

https://www.rcbashramp.com/shop

and

https://www.freshpark.com/products/rc/bmx-jump-298.html

are there any other recommendations from the forum?

Just looking to have a bit of fun, he likes back flips, etc. Now and then we bring the Slash vxl across the bike jump as well.

I'm open to other options but do not want to spend over $250 (if that is reasonable). Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Why spend that much, when you can build one for less than $25??? Sometimes, be I do understand the "buy vs build" debate...but, in the case of this, the answer is more than "obvious". Can you HONESTLY tell me your rather spend up to 10x the amount, just to save yourself 1-2 hours of work???

If buying a temp only cost $50, I might go ahead any buy. At $75, I'd really have to think about whether, or not, the price was worth it. But, at the price of those ramps, it's a no-brainer.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    Yes, time is a factor, but I would also like to get the 'curved' style ramp. Building a straight 'triangle' ramp is easy, going for the curve is a bit more complex. I would then have to borrow some tools for that style, or buy, at which point the costs are close to the same.

From what I have seen those prices, along with everything else these days, have gone up considerably. I watched a youtube video on the 1st ramp, at the end of last year they mentioned it being $170, now they start at $220.

For that size vehicle, the ramp can be fairly small. Making a suitable-sized curved ramp should be fairly easy, and extremely inexpensive. Even better, you could make several ramps of different sizes, and still keep costs down.

Start by getting a different plastic buckets, of different sizes...the larger, the better. Then cut them. In regards to the curvature of the buckets, no more than one quarter the circumference of each bucket would be needed for any given ramp. Even a single bucket could produce multiple ramps, with the highest points being at different angles. As for the frame, to hold the shape of the ramps, that could be plastic, metal, wood, or whatever else will work. Heck, you could even use bricks, stacking them to hold the ramp up, and use packing tape to hold the bottom of the ramp to the ground period.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

T-Bone Racing make a few ramps. Their smaller $80 one may work out for the MERV:

https://tboneracing.net/search?type=...ortable*+Ramp*
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

In agreement on that one...that $80 ramp is consider "possibly worth it".

I did the homemade wood ramp thing. Made a few iterations. Was straight but flexed into a curve.

I needed a portable ramp to carry the few blocks to the local park. Something the legs would fold up for my limited garage storage space. Vs a bigger curved large ramp you kinda just set it and leave it in the yard ..

After getting my xmaxx the ramp just was not up to the task and ended up breaking I remade it yet again, and it broke yet again. Rinse and repeat I knew my design was just not going to work for the xmaxx long term....

A portable wood ramp was just not going to cut it with the forces xmaxx exsert on the ramp. Was looking into making a metal curved ramp, but by time I sourced the materials. Got a welder or borrowed one, learned again how to weld..... The time vs any cost savings self making was not going to be worth it to make myself.

I searched high and low on the internet and forums for something that would be large enough for a xmaxx.

Some of the smaller plastic jumps would work for a merv or rustler but most are to small for a erevo2 or xmaxx...

I ended up getting the fresh park double jump
    https://www.freshpark.com/bmx-spinekit-253.html

And have really enjoyed the ramp. It holds up very well to the xmaxx and has just the right curve to it.

Lets me make a ramp on either side or put side by side to make wider when I wanna go balls out with xmaxx with no worry about clipping a edge. As ramps are 24in wide each and xmaxx is 22in wide... So not much room for error set up as a single

What I was sent on the package said it was bmx vs rc.... Both pages list weight specs the same even though it says rc version is smaller gauge metal..

Mod I did to the ramps was fix issue if when you build ramp how it came the legs do not fold up for storage.

So I removed one of the bolts for each leg. Left the other a bit loose (used nylock nuts) then in place of the removed bolt I used a wire round lock pin this way I can easily pull the pin and fold up for storage and transport to the park strapped to my rc tote with wheels.

I get about 40 to 45ft of distance with the xmaxx when wot. And about 10 to 15ft vertical About 35ft with the erevo... On pavement Merv only last a few jumps before a pivot ball pulled out of the a arm. Rustler made a few jumps before shocks broke... I've yet get the broken cars running again due to time.. yet to try bashing them more on the ramp.

Some vids and pics

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hSentZ7iLGCdDrcD9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/31yHzSYz1gH21KPm8

Even though a bit spendy the fresh park ramps are soildly made and worth it to not have to worry about breaking your homemade wood ramp yet again....

I've yet to get some square stock to make leg extension to make it higher for even bigger air. Seems like should be easy enough to mod... see when I get to that once I get some time for it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Acidic01; 11-26-2020 at 06:55 PM.

RC Competitor
    Great suggestion, thank you! I like the TBR 1/10 ramp, very close to the same specs as the others but a fair bit less money. That one might be it!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    T-Bone Racing make a few ramps. Their smaller $80 one may work out for the MERV:

These could work well too. I don't think I found these or were out of stock when I was looking for one.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    These could work well too. I don't think I found these or were out of stock when I was looking for one.

I really like those, went to order a bit ago but they want $85 to ship. The other companies are free or very small shipping charge. As much as I like theirs the best I doubt the overall cost will work. I sent them an e-mail to confirm that is indeed the charge for shipping as stranger things have happened.

Just received "Black Friday" email neon TBR...save up to $40 on ramps. The sale probably goes live after midnight. They currently have 25 Mini, 47 TBR 1/10, and 24 TBR Airtime.

Order 1, get 15% off...2 gets 20%...3 gets 25%...and 5+ gets 30% off.

^You beat me to it. I got my Black Friday e-mail from them about an hour ago as well!

^You beat me to it. I got my Black Friday e-mail from them about an hour ago as well!
    I beat you twice in one day? Twice in one evening, no less? Is there tropical weather happening in Antarctica? Just kidding...but, it is "unusual" that I beat any of the veterans here...LOL

We’re all here to help!

We’re all here to help!
    And be helped. Even the "best" didn't know everything, and the newest can always teach an "old dog" new tricks...we're all simultaneously teachers, and students. And, that's part of what makes this hobby one of the best Hobbies to get/be involved in.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by westwind77 View Post
    I really like those, went to order a bit ago but they want $85 to ship. The other companies are free or very small shipping charge. As much as I like theirs the best I doubt the overall cost will work. I sent them an e-mail to confirm that is indeed the charge for shipping as stranger things have happened.
    They quickly followed up my e-mail the next day saying that shipping is free and there is/was an error on their site they were fixing.

Nice! Hope it hold up to the MERV!