Steering Bellcrank not returning to center

Greetings Everyone. Hope everyone's well.

I have a problem with my bellcrank assembly where when you turn right the bellcrank stays turned more towards the right direction, but when you turn left it stays center as it should be. It corrects it back to center.

Steps I did to attempt to fix it
    Cleaned servo saver post and made sure it was screwed in all the way. Inspected the post.
    Made sure the steering link was 31.7 MM ball to ball according to manual.
    Checked my servo looked at it, it rotates fine. Made a mark on the chassis to double check the servo was returning to chassis.

Issues that I suspect but not sure
    Bearings are bad inside the bellcrank?
    Servo saver spring limiting movement back the other way? Spring not set in correctly?
    Some adjustments that need to be made with transmitter?

I know you can adjust steering with the transmitter and it has a whole lot of other settings. Just bought Traxxas Link so let's see what this is all about honestly I thought you had to buy the whole telemetry thing, LOL, So I held back way too long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

VROOOMMMM
    Last edited by Rico116; 11-27-2020 at 08:04 PM.

RC Racer
    I'm trying to make sure I understand the issue you are describing, since steering has a lot of moving parts. Lol

So are you saying that the servo is returning to center, but the wheels aren't?

Is the servo saver, which is normally a T shape, not staying at a 90 angle?

LOL forgot to share video link https://youtu.be/WKaQntH3vgc

VROOOMMMM

RC Racer
    Fascinating... Your center post is solid in one direction, but wiggles in the other.

Thanks for the answer!
    Servo returns to center bellcrank doesn't
    no toe links connected

VROOOMMMM

RC Racer
    I'd look really closely at the point where the center post screws into that bridge piece that connects it to the frame.

So inspect where the 2 Screws hold the steering post down? and look and where the rod inside the bellcrank sits on the post?

VROOOMMMM

RC Racer
    So I'm looking at part 5343x in the front end exploded view. It's got 3 screws: 2 that hold it to the frame, and one that goes through the whole servo saver assembly. I'm wondering if that center screw hole has gotten broken out.

I'm also wondering if the center skid plate (which you have removed) plays a role in managing the forces applied by the servo. As such, it may have masked the issue previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico116 View Post
    LOL forgot to share video link https://youtu.be/WKaQntH3vgc

VROOOMMMM
    In your vid I don't see a issue..... But perhaps I'm just not seeing it...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I never thought of too look at the skid plate , gonna look at that later, Thinking it may be worn like you said. I take a closer look at both pieces.

Gonna buy a new steering post later just in case but first look at the skid plate and look at everything more close.

VROOOMMMM

Thanks Acidic, I like to look where the bellcranks screws into the toe links it doesn't sit perfectly even in the middle watch where it changes back to center around the 17 second mark[IMG]

VROOOMMMM
    Last edited by Rico116; 11-27-2020 at 09:23 PM.

RC Racer
    Is this a 1.0 or 2.0 erevo?

It looks like the lever arm that connects to the toe links may be hitting the end stops. Hard to tell from the video, but that would explain why the center post deflects when moved all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico116 View Post
    Thanks Acidic, I like to look where the bellcranks screws into the toe links it doesn't sit perfectly even in the middle watch where it changes back to center around the 17 second mark[IMG]

VROOOMMMM
    Have you put the car back together and see how the tires go? It may just be that the bell crank is just not seated with the skid plate and screwed in.

When I watch the vid and look at the servo arm it is returning to normal... The bell crank is popping up some and not seated completely at times. I think this is offsetting it enough.

If you have not put everything together and see what it does then then I would do that and see if issue is present still.

2.0 Yes it hits the ends stops, so the force of it hitting the end stops knocks it out of the
    center and causes it to stay stuck to the the right? unless you turn it the other way it corrects it self?.
    May have to turn it slow without hitting the end stops and see what is does.

VROOOMMMM

RC Racer
    Yeah... Acidic01 might be on the right track, see if this issue is just a side effect of trying to operate the steering without all the parts bolted together. You might also double check page 28 in the manual for the exact angular alignment specs on the servo. If that's off, it might be contributing to hitting the end stops on one side and not the other.

Yes, I have also looked at it when the car was together, and the issue was still present. With no toe links connected.

VROOOMMMM

I could double check and put car back together and see what it does, and double check everything it won't hurt to check.

VROOOMMMM

RC Racer
    I just looked up your servo. It's rated for 100 of travel. If the steering is designed for 90 that might be part of the issue too. I can't find the spec for the stock servo at the moment.

Now that's interesting. I never thought the specs matter too much but that might be a issue. I don't have a spare servo to test it with. Maybe there's like a way to see determine the appropriate lengths if that could be a factor. Assuming steering is designed for 90 Then servo might be 90 but not too sure.

VROOOMMMM

RC Racer
    I think you can adjust the steering servo end points to basically limit the rotation to the mechanically correct amount. Thus your problem might be solvable in software instead of hardware.

Well, I got a few things to look at, Thanks everyone so far, Will update all of you after doing these things. Hope to get it fixed.

VROOOMMMM

Adjust your servo end points so that it stops before hitting the mechanical stops.

Make sure that tsm is turned off completely...

Will make sure of that.

VROOOMMMM

Looks to be the end points are deflecting it out of position. If you look closely at the top of the bellcrank. The screw leading towards the rear of the vehicle you could see it gets pushed up therefore knocking the bellcrank out of place
    https://youtu.be/UjZ0GNmKZZw

And for confirmation I took the steering stops off and the issue dissappears completely.
    https://youtu.be/lh8Tph24ugM

I linked 2 different videos with each situation

Will update again after adjusting end points and let you guys know how it works out, Thanks so far

VROOOMMMM

Thanks everyone adjusted the end points and the bellcrank no longer goes all over the place. It returns to center as it should.

VROOOMMMM