RC Enthusiast

New Erevo problems

I just got an erevo and it's giving me a headache. Looking for some help from the pros.

I've driven it 3 times. Here is a list of issues I'm having with it:

I bought the rear chassis brace and a Proline body. I removed the wing. I also bought the traxxas whellie bar. I did the shoe goo and dry wall tape to the body. Installed it with the proline screw in post system. That has been a disaster. Every time I flip or roll the truck the screw in system rips off or the cap just gets cleaved off. Sounds like I'll go to a clip. Ok got that. My dislike for the stock body caused me to buy the proline body - I created this problem as this is a major weak spot on the car now. Every two minutes I'm having to deal with the body flopping around or some issue with the body.

The traxxas wheelie bar falls off all the time.

The truck is rolling over at regular (not anywhere near full throttle) speeds on grass. The suspension seems to be fine (nothing broken) but it just isn't handling very well. It does squeak a bit when I press down on it. Is this normal?

I bent one of the connectors coming from the motor going to the ESC. It still connects and it's drives, I'm going to use some electric tape and secure it so it doesn't pop loose. I'll also bend it back and see if that helps make it better.

Self-righting does not work at all. I press the button on the transmitter (following instructions). Nothing happens.

When I take it off medium size jumps the Traxxas batteries fly out - happen 3 times in 15 minutes of driving.

I was on the fence when I bought the erevo or the Maxx. Kind of thinking I should have just bought the Maxx. Reason I went with the erevo is because I was told it handles better and has a stronger drivetrain. I didn't like the look but had the bright idea to change the body and now I'd have a truck that handles like a champ and I like the look. Well I created a weak spot with the body and I'm struggling with all of these problems.

Any advice from the veteran RC peeps? I'm a newb and could really use some help.

Thank you in advance!

I heard of ziptying the wheelie bar in the past that could help. As for the truck rolling over. The E Revo is a very touchy on the steering so if your taking sharp turns your gonna roll over. My advice let off the throttle a bit and whip that thing.
    Have you done anything with the preload or ride height or anything suspension based?

As for issues I initially felt like mine E Revo was a complete headache too when I got mine I hated it, Still feel like that a little bit but that feeling is mostly gone. Had to take long breaks without even wrenching on it. Mainly because this is my first hobby grade rc and it wasn't simple to work on for me at least, but I learned to embrace it and just enjoy it. Its rewarding when you fix things and then it works out you just gotta get dialed in. Regardless things are gonna break, Just take a break and come back to it later. Hope you get the rest of your other issues figured out

VROOOMMMM

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks man. I haven't made any adjustments to the shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by emaxx21 View Post
    I just got an erevo and it's giving me a headache. Looking for some help from the pros.

I've driven it 3 times. Here is a list of issues I'm having with it:

I bought the rear chassis brace and a Proline body. I removed the wing. I also bought the traxxas whellie bar. I did the shoe goo and dry wall tape to the body. Installed it with the proline screw in post system. That has been a disaster. Every time I flip or roll the truck the screw in system rips off or the cap just gets cleaved off. Sounds like I'll go to a clip. Ok got that. My dislike for the stock body caused me to buy the proline body - I created this problem as this is a major weak spot on the car now. Every two minutes I'm having to deal with the body flopping around or some issue with the body.

The traxxas wheelie bar falls off all the time.

The truck is rolling over at regular (not anywhere near full throttle) speeds on grass. The suspension seems to be fine (nothing broken) but it just isn't handling very well. It does squeak a bit when I press down on it. Is this normal?

I bent one of the connectors coming from the motor going to the ESC. It still connects and it's drives, I'm going to use some electric tape and secure it so it doesn't pop loose. I'll also bend it back and see if that helps make it better.

Self-righting does not work at all. I press the button on the transmitter (following instructions). Nothing happens.

When I take it off medium size jumps the Traxxas batteries fly out - happen 3 times in 15 minutes of driving.

I was on the fence when I bought the erevo or the Maxx. Kind of thinking I should have just bought the Maxx. Reason I went with the erevo is because I was told it handles better and has a stronger drivetrain. I didn't like the look but had the bright idea to change the body and now I'd have a truck that handles like a champ and I like the look. Well I created a weak spot with the body and I'm struggling with all of these problems.

Any advice from the veteran RC peeps? I'm a newb and could really use some help.

Thank you in advance!
    For the roll overs let off the throttle when turning. Can pre load the springs some but won't really help on this issue. Just learn how to drives.

Can't help on the proline body as never had one or looked at how it works... Perhaps use the c clips? Perhaps a way to mount the clipless system to the new body some how?

The wheelie bar may just need the plastic clip bent some in the right way so it will stay on. If jumping a bunch it tends to come off. I found I just no longer use the wheelie bar... Can use a heat gun or a blow dryer to heat up the plastic to bend it and make it stay where you bent it to.

For the esc connector can put a right sized screw inside to bend the pins out some so it get a good connection or get a new connector and resolder it if gives issues. I ended up resoldering mine after mine got hot enough from bad connection to melt the solder off.....

I've never had a issue with the battery trays opening on me... Perhaps heat gun and bend tabs up some so they stay up more?

Also make sure you have zip tie or velcro your battery leads from esc to the aluminum chassis brace you put in... Flopping wire could make the battery trays pop open

Self righting. Dont use it. I had it destroy my diff . I'd rather dona walk of shame vs spending time and money when it will self destruct vs flipping over ..

Covering air holes in side tire rims with duck tape. And wrapping tires in kevlar string can help prolong life of the stock tires.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Don't feel too bad about the body issues. Even the stock one has a reputation for getting ripped off the internal cage. Mine definitely did. If you have access to a 3d printer, you might be able to print brackets to distribute the load between the mount points. Another option might be to replace the set screw and cap on the proline kit with a single metal bolt with a washer to spread the stress on the body.

I got my v2 as a roller and used the old body/mounts from my v1 on it. The main issue with the body was that it would collapse in the middle when landing on the roof and destroy it in a couple bash sessions. I fabbed up a horrible looking roll bar to support the center of the body and that helped prolong the life a lot. Then I got a probodyrc indestructible body on it. Still using the v1 posts.

One thing that can help the battery doors opening is drilling a hole in the door clip so you can slide a body clip in it to keep the clasp from opening. That helped mine out a lot.

The hole:

With clip in it:

I did that to all 4.

With the stock talon ext's wrapped with kevlar, I found that it wants to slide all over the place in grass. Mine didn't roll much with those and I ended up going back to my wrapped 3.8" trenchers. I liked the width the 1/2" offset EXT's gave me, so I got some 1/2" offset adapters to use with my trenchers instead. It traction rolls more easily, but I get better forward bite and more cushion on landing since the tread is a bit thicker and the sidewalls are a bit taller.

EXT's vs trenchers before the 1/2" hubs:

Trenchers with the hubs:

Are you having roll overs on dirt, grass or concrete/pavement? Could maybe lower the suspension a bit by moving the pushrods to the furthest out holes in the arms.

For a wheelie bar, I use t-bone's, but I did make a connection point between it and the wing mount using some flexible 1/8" LDPE:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ILLO42

You can see it here:

I also replaced the wheels that came with my tbone wheelie bar/skid with ones from an Xmaxx wheelie bar. They hold up better.

I ditched the wing, but made a block to give something for the truck to make contact with the ground that would slide more easily, since I run in grass all the time. The wing would catch and rip apart, so instead of replacing wings every month, I replaced it. You can see the block in the photo above. I used this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076G1797P
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Racer
    @olds97_lss,
    as an engineer and tinker, I absolutely love the work you have put into your erevo.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by omen View Post
    @olds97_lss,
    as an engineer and tinker, I absolutely love the work you have put into your erevo.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the tips and information!