RC poster

Looseness in steering?

I have a stampede 4x4 vxl. I just finished replacing the front differential housing and bulkhead because they were cracked. Anyway, I noticed a looseness in the steering. Like, when I turn the front wheel back and forth with my hand, there is some looseness before it actually turns the servo. The back seems tight tho. Is that normal, or did I put it back together wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by cavemanmatt View Post
    when I turn the front wheel back and forth with my hand, there is some looseness before it actually turns the servo. The back seems tight tho. Is that normal, or did I put it back together wrong?
    Well of course the back is tight, there is no steering in the rear

Yeah, a fair amount of slack or "loosness" is normal. Every joint has a little slack and it all adds up. Of course, from your brief description, it's difficult to tell exactly how loose your steering is. This is a case where something like a short video would help a lot.

One easy thing to check is to make sure that your servo saver is not too loose.

The stock plastic C-Hubs will add some flex since they will bend a bit. The RPM C-Hubs are stronger (in the sense that they won't break as easily), but they bend even more. I usually recommend RPM upgrade parts over aluminum upgrade parts, but the C-Hubs might be one exception if you want to tighten up your steering a bit. I still prefer RPM if doing huge jumps or hardcore bashing.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 11-28-2020 at 02:40 PM.

RC poster
    Yes it look like it’s the servo saver that’s loose. Guess I’ll have to take it back apart again. I’m not quite sure what I need to do but hopefully I’ll figure it out.