RC poster

Thinking about Spektrum ESC and Receiver

I have an E-Revo 2.0 VXL with stock electronics. I also have an Arrma Infraction on the way as well as a Spektrum DX5C Transmitter. I was thinking about installing a Spektrum Receiver in the E-Revo so that I could have a single remote. Would the DX5C Transmitter pick up the telemetry like speed/voltage/temps from the stock traxxas electronics?

I am assuming it would not , so if that is the case , would installing a Spektrum ESC allow it do so , or would I also need the Spektrum Motor and Batteries?

RC poster
    House, City, County, State, Country, Continent, Planet
    That's correct it wouldn't work, and you would also need a spektrum battery(s). Idk about motor.

Both use different telemetry technology, idk what Traxxas' is called if it even has a name and Spektrum's is SMART.

RC Enthusiast
    If you install Spektrum SMART ESC along with Spektrum receiver you would have Telemetry on your DX5C, but not with Traxxas ESC. I did this for a while with Firma 150 ESC and SR6100AT. The DX5C and SR6100AT are great. However I did not like Firma 150 ESC. First thing it did was go into thermal shutdown real easily due to “capacitor overheating”. The solution is to install a cap pack. The second thing it did was blow the internal BEC, running twin tornado fans and twin Savox servos. The solution is to get external BEC. After all this, and 2x more extra components cluttering up the EREVO, you realize that setting the maximum punch setting that works without coging, you just don’t have as punchy of a ERRVO as a Traxxas ESC. Maybe the Firma 160 ESC would be better in all three areas that annoyed me, but I would not use FIRMA 150 again.

RC Racer
    If you're sticking with the VXL-6S ESC, you may have trouble with the ESC and Spektrum radios not playing nice. I've seen so many guys at my LHS that are ticked off because they won't work together.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I find your lack of teepee disturbing.

RC Enthusiast
    Great info on this thread. Thanks guys!!

RC Competitor
    I have used traxxas escs with Spektrum receivers for years and never one problem. You calibrate the esc just like you would with a traxxas receiver and you’ll be good to go. Currently have a Erevo 2.0, Hoss, Rustler 4x4, Maxx, and Slash all with Spektrum receiver and traxxas esc no problem at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tcu02xp View Post
    I have used traxxas escs with Spektrum receivers for years and never one problem. You calibrate the esc just like you would with a traxxas receiver and you’ll be good to go. Currently have a Erevo 2.0, Hoss, Rustler 4x4, Maxx, and Slash all with Spektrum receiver and traxxas esc no problem at all.
    Yeah, same. My VXL-3s works perfectly with my Spektrum receiver.
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

Quote Originally Posted by tcu02xp View Post

Like your car stand. Clean workbench area

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Appreciate it man, I was happy how it turned out. Cost me about $25 from Home Depot. Super easy to do.

I also like the look of your rc stand. If you’re okay with it, could I “steal” your design and use it to make one of my own? I like that your stand is simple but looks good. Been thinking of how to build a simple yet good looking rc stand.

I enjoy finding creative storage solutions. I install a shelving product for a living. Along with remodeling. Nice diy solution.

I'd perhaps use a metal 90° simpson tie than cutting 45°s in 2x4. For angle supports a bit more $.. but More storage room for more cars. . Not sure if would hold a xmaxx.

I use my shelving for my cars but I really like your vertical layout. Just wish I had some wall space that I can make work. Or shift my set up somehow.

Pic of the tie I'm thinking of.

My messy workbench / garage biz Office. I have to much crap. Still working through organization of everything. As soon as I throw something out I end up needing it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Feel free to use it. I didn’t come up with it. Saw one on YouTube that looked similar and I tweaked it a bit. I agree a metal bracket would look much cleaner. My goal was to make it as simple as possible with the least amount of cost. I used leftover paint that matched the walls. I’m 180 pounds and can stand on that bottom shelf where my Erevo is no problem easily holds my weight. The main 2x4 is drilled into a stud as well.